Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 11:28 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,144,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
That determination isn't up to you. I bet you don't even know all the laws on the books where you live so you have no idea if you have violated something that you don't know about. Keep up your defiance, you'll just be another statistic that you'll cry about being a victim for.
You may want to remind the "if you don't want trouble from cops, don't break the law" crowd of this.

There are so many laws on the books, you need a JD to really be completely law abiding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2017, 11:34 AM

13,962 posts, read 5,630,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Its stupid to confront a cop directly. They will do whatever it takes to win even if it means killing you.
And they will have all of the laws, the entire political and government structure, and society's blessing/sanction behind them when they do.

On the street, they are in charge and our entire society has chosen to give them that authority. In a court of law, they are are far more vulnerable, and that is where responsible citizens who want both effective government and continuation of their own life should handle any dispute with police.

Old 09-15-2017, 11:37 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,850,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
You may want to remind the "if you don't want trouble from cops, don't break the law" crowd of this.

There are so many laws on the books, you need a JD to really be completely law abiding.

What????? I live in the same world as you, and I have NO problem obeying the laws and staying out of trouble. This isn't rocket science, just good, common sense. Just use the brain God gave you.

But some people have to push the boundaries, and then they complain when they screw up. Plus, there are some people who just do not care and who live a lifestyle that is not like most of us live. Those are the people who have a difficult time when a cop stops them.

Old 09-15-2017, 11:47 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,144,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
What????? I live in the same world as you, and I have NO problem obeying the laws and staying out of trouble. This isn't rocket science, just good, common sense. Just use the brain God gave you.

But some people have to push the boundaries, and then they complain when they screw up. Plus, there are some people who just do not care and who live a lifestyle that is not like most of us live. Those are the people who have a difficult time when a cop stops them.
You think all laws are based on common sense? You must be new to life. Welcome!

https://blogs.loc.gov/law/2013/03/fr...aws-are-there/

They can't even keep track of how many laws are on the books, and that's just federal laws.

Old 09-15-2017, 11:50 AM

8,518 posts, read 3,758,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
That determination isn't up to you. I bet you don't even know all the laws on the books where you live so you have no idea if you have violated something that you don't know about. Keep up your defiance, you'll just be another statistic that you'll cry about being a victim for.
You would like that wouldn't you.... Problem is that I don't fit the statistical model. I also have resources to fight back legally. I refuse to lick boots.

Old 09-15-2017, 11:59 AM

8,168 posts, read 3,129,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post

I know, right. I was shocked a few years ago when I realized I'd been breaking the law since I was about 18 or so.

Old 09-15-2017, 12:10 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,510,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
I agree with respect to the driver. However, the police need reasonable suspicion of criminal activity and being a passenger in a vehicle does not even come close to meeting that standard.
Reasonable suspicion isn't a very high standard. The driver not having a license; the woman not giving her name; both exiting the car and refusing to get back in. Cops can use nervousness and evasive to justify reasonable suspicion. If she did get 'irate' when asked her name, even worse for her.

Old 09-15-2017, 12:11 PM

8,168 posts, read 3,129,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Reasonable suspicion isn't a very high standard. The driver not having a license; the woman not giving her name; both exiting the car and refusing to get back in. Cops can use nervousness and evasive to justify reasonable suspicion. If she did get 'irate' when asked her name, even worse for her.
Did it turn out that these people had warrants and/or stuff in the car that they were not supposed to have?

Old 09-15-2017, 12:18 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,419,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Here another link:
Link with a very different version of the story:

Pass police use Taser to subdue woman during traffic stop, police chief says | The Sun Herald

Hopw the officer was wearing a camera and it was turned on.
She deserved what she got.

Old 09-15-2017, 12:18 PM

35,704 posts, read 21,070,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I have never been pulled over. I choose to comply with traffic laws. If I ever do get pulled over, I am not going to do anything to cause the situation to escalate.

Then again, there are no warrants for my arrest and there would not be a weapon or drugs in my car.

OK and Do you know it happens to innocent people too- think you maybe someone else--- it happens -- in any case two wrongs here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies