Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 03:58 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,942,602 times

Advertisements

You know, I'm so glad I live in one of the more level headed states in the country. Seems like all these stories of officer shooting and excessive force drama don't happen much around here
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
When somebody is abused by the police (person they don't relate to) it's " obey and be cowed".
60 years ago, that literally was the case. Problem is, there are still lot of cops that haven't gotten that memo yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2017, 04:01 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,510,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
You think all laws are based on common sense? You must be new to life. Welcome!

https://blogs.loc.gov/law/2013/03/fr...aws-are-there/

They can't even keep track of how many laws are on the books, and that's just federal laws.
When you're going about your daily life, do you walk around over what is or isn't legal ?

Old 09-15-2017, 04:30 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,144,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
When you're going about your daily life, do you walk around over what is or isn't legal ?
No. I think I'm fine in general. But I'm not naive enough to believe that I'm completely immune to ever being on the wrong side of the law.

I remember talking to someone at a baby shower once who turned out to be a(n off-duty) cop. I have no clue how it came up (I was 12 and wasn't shy about asking questions lol), but he told me that there's no law against backsassing a cop per sé, but that if they really wanted to, they could usually find a reason to detain pretty much anyone if they really wanted to.

Old 09-15-2017, 04:45 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,041,600 times
It's scary how comfortable some of you are with a cop being judge, jury and executioner.

Old 09-15-2017, 04:47 PM

3,564 posts, read 1,923,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
I don't know why people choose to fight with the police, and not just go to court and deal with it court of law is where we fight our disputes not on the side of the road.

https://www.rawstory.com/2017/09/mis...-stop-witness/
Has anyone pointed out that nothing in the OP's link suggests that the woman fought with the cop?

Old 09-15-2017, 06:55 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,942,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
Has anyone pointed out that nothing in the OP's link suggests that the woman fought with the cop?
Yeah but, black people are always looking for a confrontation and asking for it. Or so I've heard on C-D....

Old 09-16-2017, 04:46 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,875,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
I don't know why people choose to fight with the police, and not just go to court and deal with it court of law is where we fight our disputes not on the side of the road.

https://www.rawstory.com/2017/09/mis...-stop-witness/
No means no.

Old 09-16-2017, 05:29 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Anyone in the car can be asked. Next time you are a passenger in a car that is pulled over and the cop asks you to ID yourself, tell him no and see what happens. I bet you get detained until they figure out who you are. Remember, all the cop has to say is that he is suspicious of your behavior as to why you won't ID yourself.
In Hiibel v. Sixth Judicial District Court of Nevada the Supreme Court ruled that a police officer must have an "articular reasonable suspicion of criminality" to demand that one identify themselves.

He can not simply say he was suspicious. He must be able to state exactly what he is suspicious of you doing. This case is complicated by the fact that she was with someone that was doing something illegal. That alone is not is not a suspicion of a crime BUT what he did could lead to one if the police officers had wanted to take the steps to have made it so.

They could have confiscated the car, called in a warrant and then searched it. Finding contraband probably would have gave them a reasonable stated suspicion. As far as I've seen this had not happened yet when they had tased her. She messed up also by not saying the correct things.

"Am I free to leave and if not, why not"? She could simply call for someone else to come get the car and the officer would not have a reason up to that point to ask for her I.D. He really had no justification up to that point but could have probably came up with one if she would have drove off. Being wanted, she needed to simply call someone and state that she did not drive then shut her mouth.

Old 09-16-2017, 06:08 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,953,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Yeah but, black people are always looking for a confrontation and asking for it. Or so I've heard on C-D....
They were asking for it the second the driver pulled away from the curb without possessing a valid license. That was one reason she was being asked for ID, so that if she had a license the cop could surrender the car to her and she could drive it to where ever it was they were headed.

Old 09-16-2017, 06:13 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
They were asking for it the second the driver pulled away from the curb without possessing a valid license.
I did not see where that happened. Could you point it out for me?

Quote:
That was one reason she was being asked for ID, so that if she had a license the cop could surrender the car to her and she could drive it to where ever it was they were headed.
He has no business asking for a license from someone that has done nothing wrong up to that point. She handled it poorly but it is what you need to know your rights.

"I do not drive, I am going to call someone to come get the car".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies