Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 10:42 AM

9,837 posts, read 4,639,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Its stupid to confront a cop directly. They will do whatever it takes to win even if it means killing you.
true but stupidity does not make it OK.

Cops are supposed to be trained to react appropriately in stressful and dynamic situations.

Punishing someone for poor behavior, failure to comply etc is not an appropriate or even legal response. At some point Americans need to wake themselves up and realize we are living in what is amounting to a police state.

at anytime a member of the public can be electrocuted by the police just for fun and we have almost zero recourse because as soon as the cop says he or she was 'scared" they are relieved of all responsibility for their actions. yet if i said i was scared of a small pregnant woman "so i tased her" i would go jail but not before some cops tased me until the battery was dead....

what we have is cops getting away with punishing people who don't submit to their will and show deference instantly.

you even squeak and you risk a cop breaking the law to punish your insolence. they assault the person and then commit perjury to cover up their crime.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2017, 10:46 AM

2,274 posts, read 1,339,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Depends on the state. These states have Stop and Identify laws that require you to ID yourself when asked during a "Terry Stop". Other states can also do it legally as well if the officer has suspicion you are hiding something as this woman clearly was.
I agree with respect to the driver. However, the police need reasonable suspicion of criminal activity and being a passenger in a vehicle does not even come close to meeting that standard.

Old 09-15-2017, 10:50 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,850,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
true but stupidity does not make it OK.

Cops are supposed to be trained to react appropriately in stressful and dynamic situations.

Punishing someone for poor behavior, failure to comply etc is not an appropriate or even legal response. At some point Americans need to wake themselves up and realize we are living in what is amounting to a police state.

at anytime a member of the public can be electrocuted by the police just for fun and we have almost zero recourse because as soon as the cop says he or she was 'scared" they are relieved of all responsibility for their actions. yet if i said i was scared of a small pregnant woman "so i tased her" i would go jail but not before some cops tased me until the battery was dead....

what we have is cops getting away with punishing people who don't submit to their will and show deference instantly.

you even squeak and you risk a cop breaking the law to punish your insolence. they assault the person and then commit perjury to cover up their crime.....

Have you ever been in LE so you are capable of knowing what these men and women face on a daily basis ? While you and I run away from violent criminals, these people run toward it, to protect your butt and mine.

This "lady" and her man were not out for a Sunday drive in the park. They both had violations on their records, had a loaded gun and drugs in the car, and did not behave like law abiding citizens would act. You were not there, and neither was I, but we know the way these things go down way too often. There are animals living among us who would kill you and smile the whole time.

If you and I went to work every day, not knowing if we were going to return home to our family that night, we might also error on the side of caution. Not all cops are the thugs you portray them to be, most want to simply keep you and I safe and to go home at night alive.

Old 09-15-2017, 11:03 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,448,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
I agree with respect to the driver. However, the police need reasonable suspicion of criminal activity and being a passenger in a vehicle does not even come close to meeting that standard.
Anyone in the car can be asked. Next time you are a passenger in a car that is pulled over and the cop asks you to ID yourself, tell him no and see what happens. I bet you get detained until they figure out who you are. Remember, all the cop has to say is that he is suspicious of your behavior as to why you won't ID yourself.

Old 09-15-2017, 11:10 AM

8,168 posts, read 3,129,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I've never been tasered, have any of you ? Probably because we don't play games with the cop when they stop us. She 1) Refused to give her name, and 2) Doesn't stay put where she is supposed to. Then they start yelling police brutality.

Nope, normal people do not get tasered because we do not act like fools. She deserved what she got.
Same here.

Old 09-15-2017, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
it is illegal for a cop to punish a member of the public, that is for a judge not a cop. the taser was clearly used as punishment for non compliance. your pretense of not understanding this is exactly that. a pretense.

so i repeat. a bunch of cops dont need to use a taser on a small woman, they WANTED to use the taser, and they certainly did not need to use it 3 times. they WANTED to use it to punish her for giving them a hard time. and frankly you know it. You wont admit it but you know very well there was no NEED for the taser and you know full well they did it to punish her.

warrant , not complying , being rude, not giving name all mean nothing because they are completely unrelated to safely subduing someone. sure those things allow you to justify it in your head but they have nothing at all to do with the force required to subdue her. and again you know it.
He wasn't punishing her. He was putting her under control.

Old 09-15-2017, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Anyone in the car can be asked. Next time you are a passenger in a car that is pulled over and the cop asks you to ID yourself, tell him no and see what happens. I bet you get detained until they figure out who you are. Remember, all the cop has to say is that he is suspicious of your behavior as to why you won't ID yourself.
That's right.

Old 09-15-2017, 11:18 AM

8,518 posts, read 3,758,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I vote we do that, and move on.

It's pretty simple: Shut up. Do as you are told.
How do those boots taste? In one thread conservatives say "gov is too big and takes away my rights". When somebody is abused by the police (person they don't relate to) it's " obey and be cowed". Why would anyone want to be a bootlicker is beyond me. Home of the free and land of the "brave".

Old 09-15-2017, 11:20 AM

8,518 posts, read 3,758,698 times
Quote:
Do you as a citizen have the right to be left alone IF you have committed no crime? That's the real question. I should not be questioned or detained if I have NOT committed a crime. Period. It's called freedom.

Old 09-15-2017, 11:23 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,448,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
Do you as a citizen have the right to be left alone IF you have committed no crime? That's the real question. I should not be questioned or detained if I have NOT committed a crime. Period. It's called freedom.
That determination isn't up to you. I bet you don't even know all the laws on the books where you live so you have no idea if you have violated something that you don't know about. Keep up your defiance, you'll just be another statistic that you'll cry about being a victim for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies