Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2017, 09:33 AM

39,230 posts, read 27,618,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
So you are accepting that Trump indeed said it and when he called the Congresswomen a liar in fact he was the liar.

I can accept that this was just a big misunderstanding. But instead of Trump being gracious and moving on he reverted to his default mode which to attack and demean with lies.
I think he indeed said something like "He knew what he signed up for" Yes, I believe so. It wasn't wrong by the way. Not wrong at all if you ask me.

I think the congresswoman took his words out of context, she called him a "sick man" for saying what he said, that is unfair too. Just because she and the widow didn't find comforts in his words, doesn't mean Trump was a sick man for saying what he said.

I think Trump could have handled the situation better. Yes.

Old 10-24-2017, 09:34 AM

46,313 posts, read 27,117,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
"Unspoken" is the key word here.

Some are consoled at being told their recently killed loved one knew what he signed up for.

Others find little comfort in these words.

Go figure.

So, as the widow stated trump should know his name, so that means trump should know all Soldiers names that are fighting, which means he should also know and understand how people are going to react to his words....when others reacted...well they did not...

figures....

Old 10-24-2017, 09:39 AM

28,900 posts, read 30,279,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I agree with you.

I think Donald Trump is not articulate and that gives people a chance to question his intent and use it out of context. In their narrative that means Donald Trump took the time out of his busy day in front of a general to pick up the phone and call the widow of a fallen soldier and purposely insult her.

Honestly they can't be more stupid than that. I think so many things go through his head before they come out of his mouth it comes out A bit off. What he said is true every soldier does sign up with the prospect of death in defending the country. They go out there and lay their life on the line while we go through our day caught up in our own self interest.

Trump being Trump, will never apologize. i would have said, "I am so sorry that you don't find comfort in my words, grief is an individual process. Please know that I only have love and compassion towards you and Sgt La David Johnson. I apologize that you were offended, but this is not my intent." This thing would have been over a long time ago.

I don't think Trump had bad intention at all. The whole damn thing is dragged out way too long.

I lost three friends in battle field, 2 to suicide. American people don't even know their names. A lot of people (like their parents) grieve in silence. I am sure all of us want our personal heroes to be remembered as the heroes they are. I think this is really the bottom line. There are a alot of American people lost their loved ones to war. Things like this makes me feel my friends are nothing but a number, and this is my honest feeling at the time.
yeah, that's his flaw, but unfortunately to some, apologies don't mean alot....I'm guessing this woman didn't like Trump at all...that also might be part of the problem. and yes, he should have said, what you said...but he won't apologize, and even if he did, they'd find fault.

They fear him big time...he's trying so hard to bring back law and order to our country....I actually think he felt very bad for police officers, after they were given a raw deal by Obama and other dem leaders....I mean, how could you in all honesty, stand up there as a leader, and give them a free ticket to riot...? Sheesh? they specifically said, in no uncertain terms, Your right, even though he had a rap sheet a mile long, it's ok to be a criminal, it's ok to riot and destroy the property of others.

I am a huge skeptic at heart....so I've got my eyes on him....but he has done more for this country than any other man as President has ever done....the only problem is, the dems see it as an insult, b/c they are so liberal and feel like they don't need to follow any laws...and I voted for Obama in his first term...so....

it's difficult to witness all this...but I'm so so glad they are finally rounding up criminals and sending them back home...

Old 10-24-2017, 09:42 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,836,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
So, as the widow stated trump should know his name, so that means trump should know all Soldiers names that are fighting, which means he should also know and understand how people are going to react to his words....when others reacted...well they did not...

figures....

Not necessary for Trump to remember the name of everyone in a war zone. That would be asking a bit much, even for a man who claims to have “a very good brain.”

However, during a condolence call, practicing the name a few times before calling might be helpful.

"La David Johnson" is not a hard name to pronounce or remember.

As to people having varying reactions to Trump's words, that's an understatement if there ever was one.

Some people are fine with his insults, lies, and "inaccurate facts."

Others are less enthused.

Old 10-24-2017, 09:44 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,847,443 times
Quote:
I think he indeed said something like "He knew what he signed up for" Yes, I believe so. It wasn't wrong by the way. Not wrong at all if you ask me.

I think the congresswoman took his words out of context, she called him a "sick man" for saying what he said, that is unfair too. Just because she and the widow didn't find comforts in his words, doesn't mean Trump was a sick man for saying what he said.

I think Trump could have handled the situation better. Yes.
The only issue I have with your post is that Trump's first response was to deny he said it. He didn't claim it was a misunderstanding or the Congresswomen is quoting me out of context. He denied it. Setting the tone that the Congresswomen is a liar, which I believe was his intent. That is just how Trump behaves as has been shown on repeated occasions. Shown again today #AlertTheDaycareStaff.

Old 10-24-2017, 09:47 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,847,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post

figures....
This isn't or shouldn't be rocket science. Trump feels the widow is unfairly criticizing him. All he needed to do is apologize for any misunderstanding over name and move on. But, Trump just doesn't have it within him to be gracious to a widow or anyone else.

Old 10-24-2017, 09:47 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,113,345 times
Quote:

Trump being Trump, will never apologize. i would have said, "I am so sorry that you don't find comfort in my words, grief is an individual process. Please know that I only have love and compassion towards you and Sgt La David Johnson. I apologize that you were offended, but this is not my intent." This thing would have been over a long time ago.
One of the best responses I've seen in this thread. You nailed it!

"The call" controversy could've been over IMMEDIATELY if Trump has an ounce of humility. Instead of getting defensive and ranting on Twitter about a gold star widow, Trump could've done as you said, and simply apologized.

But no, because Trump doesn't apologize to ANYBODY, not even the wife of a dead soldier.

Defend that one, Trump supporters.

Old 10-24-2017, 09:51 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,113,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
Of course he could have. Everyone involving themselves in this tragedy could have.
While I do agree with this to a point, who carries the most burden to handle themselves differently in this situation? A pregnant woman who just lost her husband and whose life will be forever changed....or the President of the United States?!

Who should probably be the one to "take the high road" and ensure that they have communicated effectively???? A grieving widow or the POTUS?

Old 10-24-2017, 09:53 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,315,673 times
Please God, will this fake controversy ever go away?

Old 10-24-2017, 09:55 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,020,248 times
Quote:
Not the same as special forces. Sorry

Plus, ambush is unpredictable. My brother has done Recon missions/ ops. Served as a Force Recon in Marine Corps. He said nobody really knew what happened over there, that is why you wait for an investigation. But it is highly unusual they would intentionally leave him behind. If they really wanted to leave him behind, his body wouldn't have been discovered. It takes 48 hours to find his body, it is not abnormal. It is not ideal, but it is not abnormal.

So why not wait for the investigation. The widow and the family will get their answer.

Plus locator beacon fails sometimes, if not all the time. You cannot expect a perfect rescue operation from a hostile unknown territory.
To add to this, they frequently can't find whole freaking JETS which have way better/bigger locating beacons so there's that.
I agree, let's wait and see what actually happened before jumping on the "blame train". Todays "news" is that they were ratted out and set up by the town leaders.
I guess we'll see where this leads, geezer McCain is on it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies