Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 01:14 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I will never understand that mindset. No matter how much corporate malfeasance there is, these people will slit their own throats on the alter of big business. It’s like an effin disease with these conservatives.
I didn't want to go here as this is about what the (R)'s just did and it's justifiable to slam them but the (D) were strangely quiet while Obama allowed all the malfeasance on Wall Street slide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2017, 01:14 PM

3,042 posts, read 5,001,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Come on now, this is no time to actually discuss the facts and point out outright misstatements of fact.

Wouldn't fraud, as in the case of Wells Fargo void any contract requiring arbitration?

IF you see a better article explaining this let me know, the other one reads like a sloppy blog but then again it's CNN where their motto seems to be "free opinion content is better than professional reporting" anymore.
I'm not a lawyer, so I can only interpret this as I see it.

From CFPB:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.consu...ments-Rule.pdf

Quote:
... rule prohibits covered providers of certain consumer financial
products and services from using an agreement with a consumer that provides for arbitration of
any future dispute between the parties to bar the consumer from filing or participating in a class
action concerning the covered consumer financial product or service...

In the case of Equifax, they had some kind of arbitration agreement if you signed up for their free check to see if you were affected. The idea was that if you agreed to that, they would say you are ineligible to be part of the lawsuit and you must go through arbitration first.

Personally, I think class action lawsuits don't do much for consumers, but they can be a good punishment for bad behavior. On the other, arbitration might bring in more money, but it's less likely that many people will take them up on it, and the companies will continue with shady practices.

Old 10-25-2017, 01:16 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I didn't want to go here as this is about what the (R)'s just did and it's justifiable to slam them but the (D) were strangely quiet while Obama allowed all the malfeasance on Wall Street slide.
When Obama tried to hammer the banks by capping the compensation of execs at banks that took bailout money, the Republicans in Congress went nuts.

I know who is who and what is what.

Old 10-25-2017, 01:26 PM

3,346 posts, read 1,268,913 times
Quote:
I will never understand that mindset. No matter how much corporate malfeasance there is, these people will slit their own throats on the alter of big business. It’s like an effin disease with these conservatives.
Well think about it, they only listen to millionaires for all their news, whether it's Fox Noise or talk radio and all the Republican politicians, they all preach making lives for rich people as easy as possible while putting down the 99% of us.

1% is a small number in terms of votes but they have a big chunk of the income, so that's how they manipulate the political system, and also use propaganda to mobilize the masses on their behalf, through think-tanks, talk radio, internet, etc.

Old 10-25-2017, 01:34 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
When Obama tried to hammer the banks by capping the compensation of execs at banks that took bailout money, the Republicans in Congress went nuts.

I know who is who and what is what.
He shouldn't have allowed bailouts.

Bush and Obama thinking they could give my money to corporations is insane.

Old 10-25-2017, 01:36 PM

Quote:
That never happened. Besides, the (D)'s held the White House and held large majorities in the Senate and House. Part of the reason they no longer do is because Obama allowed the corrupt bankers to slide.

Old 10-25-2017, 01:37 PM

18,496 posts, read 9,161,666 times
It's what Jesus would have wanted.

Old 10-25-2017, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
That never happened. Besides, the (D)'s held the White House and held large majorities in the Senate and House. Part of the reason they no longer do is because Obama allowed the corrupt bankers to slide.
The hell it didn’t.

Obama imposes limits on executive pay - Business - US business | NBC News

Old 10-25-2017, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
He shouldn't have allowed bailouts.

Bush and Obama thinking they could give my money to corporations is insane.
Stop. You know the bank bailouts were well on their way by January of 2009.

Old 10-25-2017, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Just like everything else he ever said.

(It’s worth noting, in this regard, that the related plan put forward by the Obama Treasury to limit executive pay in Wall Street firms that received bailouts turned out to be riddled with holes.)

https://www.salon.com/2009/03/20/reich_3/

Did it happen? NO, it did not. Did the (D)'s have the White House and huge majorities in the Congress and the House to make this happen if they really wanted to? Yes they did. Obama said many things that he simply knew was not true.

As Jimmy Carter notes, we got Trump because of the failures of Obama.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies