Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2018, 03:04 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,826,533 times

Advertisements

She should be in prison, not on the gov payroll.

Supporting the torture of people, and supporting it with no due process is sickening, and against the values of the US (which is why it is a right against cruel and unusual punishment) and any civilized person, (which is why it was not done on US soil).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2018, 03:07 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,742,017 times
I am Not the least bit surprised to see conservatives advocating torture.

Old 03-13-2018, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
I never understood why we don't use truth serum instead. Seems faster and cheaper. Or is truth serum a myth, like gun silencers?
Is this serious?

Old 03-13-2018, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
When only one party needs to obey the rules, that is unfairness.

My brother served in the Marine Corps and has done ops overseas. If he was captured, I would think it was his lucky day if they only chose to waterboard him. Fact.

However you want to think of me is your choice.
So because your brother could have been tortured, but wasn't, therefore torture is ok?

Old 03-13-2018, 03:12 PM

39,232 posts, read 27,618,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
So because your brother could have been tortured, but wasn't, therefore torture is ok?
I didn't say that first of all

Secondly, my brother has been out of the Marine Corps for 10+ years. So you don't need to make it all about me.

Last but not least,

The U.S. Supreme Court was (and is) right on telling the difference between lawful and unlawful combatants. In every military conflicts, combatants must follow the rules of war by wearing proper uniforms of their respective nations and not committing atrocities against civilians and enemy prisoners of war. Without the rules of war, there will be more bloodshed. The rules of war are created so belligerents can follow what to do and what not to do.

No terrorist group is a party to the Geneva Conventions. They have not signed, much less ratified, those treaties.

p.s. For your reading pleasure, this is something my good friend David posted a while ago. He served 3 tours overseas.

"When you look at the media, you have to look at the psychology behind the average American viewer, we have a well known affinity for violence, as a matter of fact, I believe (looking back in history) most human beings do in general. In the competitive world of national and international media one can not berate the media for giving the public exactly what they want. I mean who wouldn't want their media enterprise to become successful? This has definitely put an undue stigma behind water boarding .

When media portrays only the violence, no one sees the good people have done. There where a lot of amazing acts of courage to protect the people of Afghanistan by our armed services that were never portrayed in media, because it simply would spike ratings the same way water boarding would."

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...l#post35965262

So yea, we know exactly why waterboarding is back on news again.

Old 03-13-2018, 03:19 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,090,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
She should be in prison, not on the gov payroll.

Supporting the torture of people, and supporting it with no due process is sickening, and against the values of the US (which is why it is a right against cruel and unusual punishment) and any civilized person, (which is why it was not done on US soil).
I fail to see a problem. Do you believe our enemies, in their own countries, are entitled to the protections granted by our Constitution to US citizens? And is spritzing a bit of Perrier in the nose torture?

Old 03-13-2018, 03:19 PM

3,953 posts, read 5,092,281 times
McCain: Trump’s CIA pick was involved in ‘one of the darkest chapters in American history’

Quote:
“The torture of detainees in U.S. custody during the last decade was one of the darkest chapters in American history,” McCain said. “Ms. Haspel needs to explain the nature and extent of her involvement in the CIA’s interrogation program during the confirmation process.”

Old 03-13-2018, 03:21 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,593,114 times
Seems like Trump wants a modern-day version of the Beast of Belsen, Irma Grese, to run the CIA. Gives you an idea of what he has in mind for for us, who are opposed to his attempts to run our country by autocratic fiat, rather than representation. The big question is why did Obama let this architect of our system of torture and abuse, skate right on past the criminal charges she could have faced for her black ops? If the Senate confirms her, we will know without a doubt, how badly Trump has corrupted this nation's government and society.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irma_Grese

Note: Although the Kommandant of Bergen-Belsen, Joseph Kramer, was given the name, "Beast of Belsen", the media at the time, commonly used it also for Irma Grese.

Last edited by Steve McDonald; 03-13-2018 at 03:40 PM..

Old 03-13-2018, 03:25 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,826,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
I fail to see a problem. Do you believe our enemies, in their own countries, are entitled to the protections granted by our Constitution to US citizens? And is spritzing a bit of Perrier in the nose torture?

I believe in the decent treatment of humans, which is the founding basis of our rights here in the USA, in case you did not realize that the rights that we have in the USA originated long before the USA was even a thought, because they are the basis of how people should treat each other, and the role the government plays in it (thus protecting those rights, not "giving").

Just because a person is outside of the USA does not mean I think they do not deserve to have basic rights.

Old 03-13-2018, 03:28 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,373,891 times
The CIA has never tortured anyone neither here nor abroad.

(Only because April 15 is right around the corner)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies