Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2018, 08:10 AM

3,953 posts, read 5,092,281 times

Advertisements

The Hill | Rand Paul to oppose Pompeo, Haspel

Quote:
Paul said he is opposing Haspel due to her involvement in the enhanced interrogation program during the George W. Bush administration. He said she showed "joyful glee at someone who is being tortured."

"I find it just amazing that anyone would consider having this woman at the head of the CIA," Paul said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2018, 08:17 AM

23,561 posts, read 17,237,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
I don't care for war criminals regardless of gender.
If she was a criminal she would be serving time.

Old 03-15-2018, 08:26 AM

The 12 Worst Findings From The CIA Torture Report Conducted By The Senate Intelligence Committee

Quote:
According to the Senate report, the torture they experienced was not just obscenely brutal — it also didn't work, and it didn't make America safer. As if all that weren't bad enough, the CIA also lied to us during the program, and they're continuing to lie about it now. The agency claimed that intelligence gained through torture helped to catch Bin Laden, though the Senate investigation found that to be untrue.
Lots of CIA torture supporters in this thread, apparently it isn't only the Russians who employ sockpuppets to further their agenda.

Old 03-15-2018, 08:51 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,020,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Well to be fair it isn't like anyone willingly admits to torturing (foreign captives) terrorists other than the terrorists. They actually take pleasure in the world knowing what kind of real scum they are.
So to answer your question. No one admits it until they are caught so how do you know who does and doesn't use torture? Some most likely ship their prisoners to countries willing to use torture. LOL Then say we don't use torture.
The U.K. for one, as well as the U.S. have done this and probably still do...

Old 03-15-2018, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Torturing........means "leaning on" in your world?

And yes, I would have a problem with torturing someone. First of all, because the key in your scenario is WHY would they kidnap a young girl. Are they wanting money, I'd get the money. But if they don't want money or something else I can get my hands on, then their reason for the kidnapping is going to be some sort of cause. And people who are dedicated enough to a cause to kidnap someone, are dedicated enough to hold out while being tortured, or to lie while being tortured. Do you think that when you torture someone, that you can tell when they are telling the truth or lying? There are better ways to get information from someone than torture.
The one thing that throws a wet blanket on your argument is that we got some good information from the 3 people that were subjects of enhanced interrogations aka Waterboarding. I think finding Osama was worth wasting some water don't you?

I just love how when someone who claims to be so morally offended by any enhanced interrogation techniques almost always dances around the scenario "what if it was your daughter" like was posed earlier. This is because to answer it truthfully would destroy the moral pedestal they're looking down on the rest of us from.

I promise you that any parent who gives a whit about their child would do anything needed, authorize ANYTHING that might return their child to them alive up to and including actual torture.

Anyone who denies it is lying to everyone and/or to themselves...

Old 03-15-2018, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
The 12 Worst Findings From The CIA Torture Report Conducted By The Senate Intelligence Committee

Lots of CIA torture supporters in this thread, apparently it isn't only the Russians who employ sockpuppets to further their agenda.
No, just people who are realistic and live in the real world instead of some la-la land...

Old 03-15-2018, 09:07 AM

Washington Breaks Out the “Just Following Orders” Nazi Defense for CIA Director-Designate Gina Haspel

Quote:
Specifically, they say, Gina Haspel, a top CIA officer whom President Trump has designated to be the agency’s next director, bears no responsibility for the torture she supervised during the George W. Bush administration.

Haspel oversaw a secret “black site” in Thailand, at which prisoners were waterboarded and subjected to other severe forms of abuse. Haspel later participated in the destruction of the CIA’s videotapes of some of its torture sessions. There is informed speculation that part of the CIA’s motivation for destroying these records may have been that they showed operatives employing torture to generate false “intelligence” that was used to justify the invasion of Iraq.

Old 03-15-2018, 09:10 AM

29,503 posts, read 14,663,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
The one thing that throws a wet blanket on your argument is that we got some good information from the 3 people that were subjects of enhanced interrogations aka Waterboarding. I think finding Osama was worth wasting some water don't you?

I just love how when someone who claims to be so morally offended by any enhanced interrogation techniques almost always dances around the scenario "what if it was your daughter" like was posed earlier. This is because to answer it truthfully would destroy the moral pedestal they're looking down on the rest of us from.

I promise you that any parent who gives a whit about their child would do anything needed, authorize ANYTHING that might return their child to them alive up to and including actual torture.

Great post !

Old 03-15-2018, 09:14 AM

2,361 posts, read 2,538,761 times
Haspel probably got a nice reference from Putin...you know, one professional acknowledging the skills of another.

Old 03-15-2018, 09:15 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,889,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post

Paragraph one: Please re-examine your premise. We got a name from someone who was subjected to enhanced interrogation. And how many YEARS after we got the name did we actually find Osama bin Laden? I think we would have found Osama bin Laden anyway, without torture. Because it was the YEARS we spent looking, and all the other information we gathered, to go along with the name, that led to our discovery of where Osama bin Laden was hiding.

I just love how you claim my very straightforward answer was "dancing around the scenario". It actually appears that you are the one "dancing" and spinning feverishly, while ignoring my truthful answer.

I have a moral compass. I'm sorry you do not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies