Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2018, 10:58 PM

31,074 posts, read 22,086,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NekoLogic View Post
You forgot Vietnam massacres by USA soldiers who were never charged.
"US soldiers"? US Presidents, Kennedy, Johnson, and Nixon, put them there, with almost 90% of all deaths being the result of LBJ's leadership.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2018, 11:02 PM

31,074 posts, read 22,086,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Since when isn't water boarding torture, I have to laugh at the new definition of "enhanced interrogation techniques" under Bush/Cheney.

Almost none of the GITMO detainees have been convicted of anything, out of over 500 there are less than 100 remaining. GITMO and the program were a complete failure.
Failure? guess the ones that returned to killing Innocent civilians, US servicemen, and our Allies were just misunderstood Utes

Old 03-15-2018, 05:12 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,732,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEyeFleegle View Post
Is it? What if Germany disregards that nicety? What if other diplomatic repercussions ensue? Is she really worth it...really?
This is not a TV show like "Berlin Station" where the CIA chief can be arrested.

Old 03-15-2018, 06:39 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,389,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
I don't care for war criminals regardless of gender.
So you condemn rendition as practiced by Obama before and after closing the secret CIA prisons and ending use of waterboarding?

U.S. Says Rendition to Continue, but With More Oversight - The New York Times

Meanwhile, Obama took credit for bagging Bin Laden even though we may have never found him without the CIA prisons and waterboarding...

Finding Osama bin Laden: Al Qaeda suspect provided initial clue, officials say - latimes

Old 03-15-2018, 06:46 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,133,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
If waterboarding weren't torture, you wouldn't have to try to minimize it my describing it as "spritzing a bit of Perrier in the nose". Waterboarding is never "spritzing" anything.
If waterboarding isn't torture, why do they utilize it? Is it the quicker way to rid the prisoner of head lice? The claim of it not being torture is so ****ing dumb.

Old 03-15-2018, 06:59 AM

29,503 posts, read 14,663,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NekoLogic View Post
I don't care if the CIA uses torture.

If it can save one life, then it is worth it.

Old 03-15-2018, 07:03 AM

For those that are against waterboarding. Let me ask you this.

Let's say for the sake of the debate you have a pre teen daughter. Two people break into your house and kidnap her. You chase them, and end up catching one. The other vanishes with your daughter. Now the one you've caught knows exactly where to find her but doesn't want to give that info up. Can you honestly tell me that you would have a problem leaning on this person to make him give up the location of your daughter ?

Old 03-15-2018, 07:35 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,889,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
For those that are against waterboarding. Let me ask you this.

Let's say for the sake of the debate you have a pre teen daughter. Two people break into your house and kidnap her. You chase them, and end up catching one. The other vanishes with your daughter. Now the one you've caught knows exactly where to find her but doesn't want to give that info up. Can you honestly tell me that you would have a problem leaning on this person to make him give up the location of your daughter ?
Torturing........means "leaning on" in your world?

And yes, I would have a problem with torturing someone. First of all, because the key in your scenario is WHY would they kidnap a young girl. Are they wanting money, I'd get the money. But if they don't want money or something else I can get my hands on, then their reason for the kidnapping is going to be some sort of cause. And people who are dedicated enough to a cause to kidnap someone, are dedicated enough to hold out while being tortured, or to lie while being tortured. Do you think that when you torture someone, that you can tell when they are telling the truth or lying? There are better ways to get information from someone than torture.

Old 03-15-2018, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Torturing........means "leaning on" in your world?

And yes, I would have a problem with torturing someone. First of all, because the key in your scenario is WHY would they kidnap a young girl. Are they wanting money, I'd get the money. But if they don't want money or something else I can get my hands on, then their reason for the kidnapping is going to be some sort of cause. And people who are dedicated enough to a cause to kidnap someone, are dedicated enough to hold out while being tortured, or to lie while being tortured. Do you think that when you torture someone, that you can tell when they are telling the truth or lying? There are better ways to get information from someone than torture.
Wow, Glad I'm not your hypothetical daughter.

Kudos for at least answering the question , you are the only one...so far

Last edited by scarabchuck; 03-15-2018 at 08:13 AM..

Old 03-15-2018, 08:04 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Quote:
I appreciate what you're saying as well.

As I stated earlier, I fully expect Haspel to be confirmed by the Republican Senate. I also expect that her history with black ops site and torture will be raised during the confirmation process. As it should be. Ms Haspel has received many accolades during her service to the CIA, and those accolades are a testament to how well she performs the tasks she's asked to perform. If she becomes the Director of the CIA, I'm sure she will do her best to perform the duties she's assigned efficiently and competently. But I will still wonder about the damage she's suffered in the past.
My eyes are wide wide open on the reality of home many Americans did "bad things" during warfare that in a vacuum would make others uncomfortable.

I was watching a documentary the other day about the end of WW2 where some german pilots would crash into an allied bomber and then bail out. They're interviewing a US fighter pilot and he said, "Oh yeah, we'd machine gun them or shred their parachute as they floated down so they wouldn't be able to do that again."

Or maybe the raid on the Japanese POW camp in the phillipeans where they caught them unarmed and hacked them to death because they couldn't take prisoners?

These guys walked down the street after the war same as you and I. Just food for thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies