Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2018, 06:33 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,615,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Don't make me laugh...

Blacks, you know, those who overwhelmingly vote Dem, had the highest percentage of voting YES on California's Prop 8.

Analysis of California Proposition 8 Exit Poll Data

You clearly have NO clue of which you speak.
I think I do in fact; I call it like I see it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2018, 06:41 AM

89,049 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I think I do in fact; I call it like I see it
Your ideological peers are Blacks, who overwhelmingly voted AGAINST gay marriage in California. Guess what that makes you, following your own tendency to stereotype?

Old 04-09-2018, 06:43 AM

34,235 posts, read 18,590,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I wish this myth would die the nasty death it deserves.
I do think there are instances where welfare benefits exceed the wages that some can earn. This does provide a disincentive for people to find work. I don't know the answer to that problem, other than find a means for those to acquire the skills to get better paying jobs. It is a terrible cycle we've put them into, but they also have to want to break out, and that requires some effort on their part.

Old 04-09-2018, 06:50 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,631,916 times
Quote:
Not all of the GOP is "religious right." I have NO idea why you would stereotype like that. Do you also think all Blacks are gangbanger thugs?
Maybe not, but the elected representatives all vote in line with the religious right's agenda. And that's what matters. That's why no decent human being would ever vote for a Republican anymore.

Old 04-09-2018, 06:53 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,246,629 times
Sadly, most never get taught at home or in school. How to balance a checking/debit acct. and how to be a price saavy shopper, know limits in temptations and how some frugality early pays off later.

Some inherit a great start, home, money etc. Others piling up student loan debt.... will have a much harder time and longer period to grow wealth. As we know our President had a nice start and played the bankrupts card when things turned in his investments learning to come out with plenty to re-invest.

I say for younger people in college.. to try to stay at home as long as possible to save on cost. Far harder to save for wealth with a lot of early debt and on your own before you can have a cushion in some saved money.

Then most get pulled onto usury by a system of credit that keeps most in debt. Just one spouse a spender hurts long term finances many never recover. We are insuranced to death and needing a vehicle is our biggest drain. Most of us in this nation have NO choice if not in a major city with at least a us network.

Most in our system of get it now and pay later and over the long-term ..... might never see true wealth come till if lucky.... 401k plans were available to them. Then you cross your fingers tat a recession does not occur at the time you cash it in. Few are lucky to have accrued a company pension today and in the future even less.

Many company's just want the cream of the crop employees. Hire and fire works for them to quench any Union fears and lower wages maintained. Many fall through the cracks as slower less productive and we CREATE A UNDER-CLASS. Add, any blemish in your history on a misdemeanor when young to other aspects in reports they look into on prospective employees. SOME BECOME UNHIREABLE to these larger corporations especially.

Many of tees factors add up to why current and future generations will be poorer and harder work-life over their lifetimes. IMO

Old 04-09-2018, 07:04 AM

30,261 posts, read 23,746,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
I disagree with your premise, but putting that aside, are you suggesting that ending welfare will somehow make life better for those just above the poverty line? How?
This is the only question I have.

When I was younger, I was one of those "working poor". It wasn't because I didn't budget correctly, (seriously, people, you cannot use that as your excuse every single time). I had nothing luxurious, I had more roommates than I really wanted, but had to keep costs down, and I sure didn't get to eat out and do fun stuff because I was either working 4 jobs at a time, or I was going to school and then working a job. There absolutely is no help at all for the working poor who are just above the threshold. No one cares about them. Everyone says, "Well, they have their freedom". Oh yeah, 4 jobs - such freedom while the welfare recipient IS living better.

Section 8, most of their rent is paid, if not all. It depends on where they live. They can find a place that is 100% covered by section 8, or they may find a place that requires them to pay part of the rent. To say it's "being subsidized" doesn't tell the entire truth. Most of them are not paying even half of the rental price for their place. Boy, I sure would have loved having even half of my rent paid when I was working 4 jobs.

Food? Welfare people get food. For a single person, the max is $194 or something like that in the state of CA, (where I am, unfortunately, right now). The "poverty" threshold, when compared to when I was struggling along back in the day, when calculated, is not a whole lot less than what I was making working 4 freaking jobs. I worked, but according to the government, I was still "poverty level". I just wasn't "200%" poverty level. So, no help. Who cares about you, you have a job (or 4).

One of my jobs was undercover store security. I was that person that caught the shoplifters in grocery stores. I was very hungry all the time because despite either working 4 jobs or when I was a student and working, I didn't have much money to afford much more than Top Ramen. Yet, every month, I'd see the welfare people come in and pile the food in their carts. They definitely had a much easier time than me, at least they got to eat good food, or even tasty food.

Many of them had cars. When I was a student and working, I had no car. When I was working multiple jobs, I did, but anytime something would happen, tires needed to be changed, starter would go out, whatever, that would wipe out any savings I was able to get started. So how was I ahead of the game? But without that car, I would not have been able to make it to the different jobs. I would have been stuck with a certain area for employment.

Well, whatever, I had my "freedom". I didn't have as much food, I didn't have a place to myself, I didn't have my electric subsidized, and I sure as hell didn't get free medical...but I had my freedom.

Not all people on welfare work. A lot of them don't work at all. Many of them do, but it's not 4 jobs like this "working poor" did.

I really don't think that I had a "better life" than those who were on welfare.

Nonetheless, taking the people on welfare off of welfare would have improved my life how? Other than "misery loves company", it wouldn't have done a thing for me.

Last edited by Three Wolves In Snow; 04-09-2018 at 07:13 AM..

Old 04-09-2018, 07:11 AM

38,644 posts, read 26,389,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
As long as you keep those who subside on the scraps from the rich people's table fighting over who gets more scraps, they'll not stop to wonder why they're being fed scraps in the first place. But Jay F, you are not supposed to broadcast that strategy. Bad drills.

Almost every cut to the top income tax rate came when Democrats controlled both houses of Congress.

Please tell me you are not suggesting that Democrats, if only given a chance, would raise taxes on the top 1% for the benefit of working Americans.

Old 04-09-2018, 07:17 AM

30,170 posts, read 11,809,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
As long as you keep those who subside on the scraps from the rich people's table fighting over who gets more scraps, they'll not stop to wonder why they're being fed scraps in the first place. But Jay F, you are not supposed to broadcast that strategy. Bad drills.
Everyone has opportunity in this country. And no one is being fed scraps unless they want that. But it takes personal responsibility and the desire to better oneself.

There is no finite piece of pie that everyone fights over. That pie can be as big as efforts take them. But no matter how hard you try someone will always have a bigger slice of that pie and if you are consumed with envy it will not seem fair. Such is life. Life is not fair.

Old 04-09-2018, 07:20 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times
Quote:
Actually, those on public assistance overwhelmingly vote Dem. It's how the Dems keep their voter base: keep as many people as possible dumbed-down (thus their unconscionable insistence on no vouchers), and therefore perpetually poor and continuously needing multiple forms of public assistance. Read and learn:
Are Welfare Recipients mostly Republican? Or Democrat?
By: Tino Sanandaji
PhD in Public Policy, University of Chicago Harris School of Public Policy Studies
MA in Economics, University of Chicago Department of Economics
MS in Economics and Business Administration Stockholm School of Economics
In addition, 48% of all US births each year are paid for by Medicaid (the welfare free health care program for the poor). 70% of those born into poverty never rise above poverty level, even as adults, even at any point in their lives.
I'll post other links, too, if anyone wishes.
Eventually... The left is going to run out of other people's money. Then what?
Actually most poor people don't even vote, read and learn:

"Those financially insecure people were much less likely to vote than the people with firmer financial footing. In that lowest-security group, only 20 percent of people were "likely voters" in that September-October 2014 survey (according to a Pew scale that determined a person's likelihood of voting). But the likelihood of voting goes up as financial security does — 63 percent of the most financially secure Americans were considered "likely voters."
https://www.npr.org/2016/04/25/47561...americans-vote

Old 04-09-2018, 07:23 AM

30,261 posts, read 23,746,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
The bolded isn't true. My fiance is on the tail end of Medicaid until her benefits kick in at her new job, and she's had to pay her own phone bill every month
In the state of CA it is true. I know, I've inquired because I see those "booths" all over the place here. I wanted to know what it was. You get the free "Obamaphone" (as some people call it, although in the state of CA, at least, this was put into place before Obama ever talked about people getting phones), if you get either food stamps or you get Medical (the free insurance for the 200% poverty level poor here). There are some other ways to get it for free, too, but I forget all of the requirements, but there's a list of things that you can be on and get it for free. So yes, if you get free healthcare (or food stamps) in the state of CA, you DO qualify for a free cell phone. CELL phone, not house phone. And it's not some crappy flip phone that only makes calls. You get data each month, too. You get free phone, free texting, and you get whatever amount of data each month to get on the internet on the phone (so, uh, yeah, poor people do have access to the internet).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies