Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2018, 01:39 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,554,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
How did the clerk know that the dude who pulled the gun wasn't some crazy mentally deranged fella who would have shot the first person to make a move or say a word?

Of course - the answer is he didn't.

Remember, an armed society is a polite society. Therefore, when confronted with a gun pointed in his direction, the clerk was polite - and quiet.
The gunman identified himself as a cop.

And he is a cop.

All of his words were directed at the customer he suspected of not paying.

As it turns out, he was wrong about that. The clerk was perfectly positioned to defuse it completely.

Of course, you're free to react to this whole incident as you wish.

Carry on.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2018, 01:40 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,685,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
well that depends on the situation, i mean if the guy had a gun on the clerk, then the cop would have been justified pulling his gun out. or how about when armed robbers are ribbing a bank, do you think that cops should just walk in without pulling the guns first?
Well, if the "armed robber" is me walking away from an ATM machine, I don't think an off-duty Police Officer should pull a gun. If the "armed robber" are the guys from the Brinks truck....same goes.

On the other hand, if the cop receives a radio call that an armed bank robbery is in progress, then perhaps brandishing a weapon is in order.

Those who cannot differentiate between such events as above don't deserve a badge...or a gun.

Old 05-06-2018, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
The gunman identified himself as a cop.

Ah, so just saying you are a cop is the key here?

Hey, I'm the POTUS. There - I identified myself.

The big problem these days is that a Cop is more likely to shoot you in such a situation than a regular citizen - because they will get away with it, while the average joe or jane cannot.

So being a Cop and stating so would make me feel MORE in danger. On the other hand, if the guy had a AR, I'd probably be even more scared than death-by-cop.

You'll have to excuse me because cops shot my autistic nephew...at a time and place where he posed zero danger to the public.

Coincidence? No. Trigger Happy SWAT team? Yes.

Old 05-06-2018, 01:44 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,858,743 times
Quote:
Well, if the "armed robber" is me walking away from an ATM machine, I don't think an off-duty Police Officer should pull a gun. If the "armed robber" are the guys from the Brinks truck....same goes.

On the other hand, if the cop receives a radio call that an armed bank robbery is in progress, then perhaps brandishing a weapon is in order.

Those who cannot differentiate between such events as above don't deserve a badge...or a gun.
why does a cop have to receive a radio call about an armed robbery in a bank to pull his gun? suppose that off duty officer was about to walk into the bank when he saw an armed man holding up the bank teller, isnt he required to respond right then and there? would he be shirking his duty if he didnt respond to the crime actually occurring?

Old 05-06-2018, 01:47 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,554,711 times
Quote:
Ah, so just saying you are a cop is the key here?
Nope.

As I've posted several time already, the clerk was the key.

Check the posts above.

Old 05-06-2018, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
why does a cop have to receive a radio call about an armed robbery in a bank to pull his gun? suppose that off duty officer was about to walk into the bank when he saw an armed man holding up the bank teller, isnt he required to respond right then and there? would he be shirking his duty if he didnt respond to the crime actually occurring?
In that hypothetical situation which would likely never happen, then he may or may not have the right (I suppose it depends on his position, contract, training, local - state and federal laws)....

But this was not that. Not even close.

If the till were open and the clerk was shoveling cash toward a guy with a gun...or even a guy with a baseball bat threatening the clerk...then, yeah, that's where the line is drawn. He can pull then....assuming he is trained.

Remember, just because you are a cop doesn't mean you are up to date in terms of street training. Some of them go their entire careers and never drawn a gun in anger....not exactly what we'd call experienced.

In the OC, chances are they often find shoplifters - made-up gals with breast implants at the local malls trying to sneak out with some article of clothing or makeup. I doubt they pull gun on them, tho, as they get in their valet-delivered Porsche.

Old 05-06-2018, 01:51 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,541,024 times
Quote:

Certainly a pack of Mentos doesn't warrant 'brandishing a weapon".

Old 05-06-2018, 01:53 PM

18,501 posts, read 9,170,177 times
I see a related SNL parody of a Mentos commercial in the near future.

“do do do do DO do do, DO WOP...”

Old 05-06-2018, 01:56 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,691,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
The cop didn't see this guy pay for the item, only saw him reach over the counter to grab the mints instead of the sales clerk handing it over. The clerk should have spoken up sooner. THE COP APOLOGIZED.

Much ado about nothing. Good thing the customer wasn't black or the taxpayers would be on the hook for a fat settlement.
Having a gun pointed at you isn't much ado about nothing -if it happened to me, only a beating of the cop would suffice.

It's the way it has to be

Old 05-06-2018, 01:57 PM

2,985 posts, read 1,751,984 times
No excuses for this renegade cop. I agree that he should be fired or at least a lengthy suspension with a major retraining. Hopefully, he is being ridiculed by his peers and the community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies