Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 06:23 AM

37,187 posts, read 19,189,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
The cop didn't see this guy pay for the item, only saw him reach over the counter to grab the mints instead of the sales clerk handing it over. The clerk should have spoken up sooner. THE COP APOLOGIZED.

Much ado about nothing. Good thing the customer wasn't black or the taxpayers would be on the hook for a fat settlement.
When his first action was to racially profile a man and pull a pistol because he mistakenly assumed had not paid for a dollar item, he was way over the line in the wrong. I hope the guy gets a large attorney and bleeds Los Angeles dry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2018, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amokk View Post
I guess this is just typical round these parts.
Yep.

Old 05-07-2018, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Watch at 36 seconds into that video, the cop is already reaching behind his back to get his gun out, and he had just walked in. For someone in LE, he should have been more in control of himself, and not ready to shoot someone.

This could have turned out really bad, good thing the victim was cool and did everything right. I bet that cop will be holding a desk job over this one.
My father always said if you carry a gun you are looking for a reason to use it. That cop is dangerous to the public. He needs to find a new line of work.

Old 05-07-2018, 06:47 AM

24,401 posts, read 23,056,554 times
Not much you can do about this. The racial mix just isn't going to get anybody in the MSM interested and nobody will be claiming outrage hoping to get some attention or to prove they have somebody's best interests protected because of it. And the haters won't be demanding payback for the same reason.
That said, the guy was a squirrely little billygoat( the idiotic beard). He kept looking over his shoulder and acting nervous. Maybe he's from a bad neighborhood where you have to be constantly looking over your shoulder or he's just the nervous type. That could have made the cop suspicious. But he certainly over reacted and should be suspended for a few days or put on crossing guard duty. And forget the Mentos, Goaty face. Altoids are way better.

Old 05-07-2018, 06:53 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,822,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
The cop didn't see this guy pay for the item, only saw him reach over the counter to grab the mints instead of the sales clerk handing it over. The clerk should have spoken up sooner. THE COP APOLOGIZED.

Much ado about nothing. Good thing the customer wasn't black or the taxpayers would be on the hook for a fat settlement.

I thought the same thing. The clerk could have cleared that up immediately. And the cop could have simply identified himself as such--without brandishing a gun for something as minor as what he thought was candy theft. That said, clearly, it was a misunderstanding, and the cop apologized.

Now we get to the nitty gritty: Who can I sue? He's "still can't get over it," and his wife is wearing the appropriate hang-dog look, probably as advised by their attorney. And of course, he's appropriately "traumatized."

He's not a thief, but he might just be a crook after all.

Old 05-07-2018, 06:58 AM

11,404 posts, read 4,083,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
Good lord that cop was an idiot. And even if he did steal that pack of mentos, why did he have to pull out his gun?
What, you didn't know? Shoplifting warrants deadly force these days.

Seriously though, I sure hope that cop loses his badge. If I were a ranking officer in that department, I would not want this guy on the street. Pulling a gun on a citizen for assuming (he was wrong) that citizen stole a pack of mints?

To say that officer is a liability to the department and a danger to the community is an understatement.

Old 05-07-2018, 10:01 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
I thought the same thing. The clerk could have cleared that up immediately. And the cop could have simply identified himself as such--without brandishing a gun for something as minor as what he thought was candy theft. That said, clearly, it was a misunderstanding, and the cop apologized.

Now we get to the nitty gritty: Who can I sue? He's "still can't get over it," and his wife is wearing the appropriate hang-dog look, probably as advised by their attorney. And of course, he's appropriately "traumatized."

He's not a thief, but he might just be a crook after all.
A law abiding citizen had a gun drawn on him over a pack of Mentos! Yeah...what could possibly go wrong? You know..perhaps when he reaches in his pocket to put the candy back, the idiot cop claims that he saw a dark object instead and “I feared for my life”...and the cop shoots him dead. Because we all know that something like that NEVER happens.

Then they put 12 people who think just like you on the jury (“he just might be a crook after all...I mean look at him”) and of course, you acquit the cop of all charges.

Old 05-07-2018, 10:29 AM

2,274 posts, read 1,338,471 times
When did the use of deadly force become approved for shoplifting?

Why was the cop not arrested and charged on the spot for brandishing his gun? He had zero reason to have the gun in his hand at that point.

Old 05-07-2018, 10:32 AM

12,601 posts, read 7,224,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
When did the use of deadly force become approved for shoplifting?

Why was the cop not arrested and charged on the spot for brandishing his gun? He had zero reason to have the gun in his hand at that point.
Because, according to some, he apologized, so it's all good.

I wonder how far an apology would get the average Joe out of that pickle?

Old 05-07-2018, 10:34 AM

2,274 posts, read 1,338,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
Because, according to some, he apologized, so it's all good.

I wonder how far an apology would get the average Joe out of that pickle?
Exactly, cops are above the law. They can commit any crime they want at will and with zero accountability. They operate like a combination of a criminal gang and the Gestapo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies