Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: White privilege, based on the quote in the OP:
I think it exists. 64 30.05%
Maybe it does exist, but only in the form mentioned in the quote. 4 1.88%
Sometimes, yes. Sometimes, no. 27 12.68%
I don't agree with the quote. 33 15.49%
No way it exists and the quote and this question are silly. 85 39.91%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 11:38 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,963,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
Asians are far less likely to get shot and killed by police than whites. You said yourself that if you are less likely to get shot by police, you have privilege. Asians are the least likely, so maximum privilege on that front. Whites on the other hand are far more likely to get accused of being racist for example, simply because of the color of their skin, so thats one less brownie point for whites on the privilege scale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2018, 11:46 AM

6,229 posts, read 3,411,736 times
I find the whole Op kind of silly....ask any while person who was deny a job due to a requirement to filling a minority quota system in things like the police or fire department or a quota on minority students over whites entering college.

Old 05-08-2018, 11:49 AM

6,229 posts, read 3,411,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phinneas j. whoopee View Post
It sounds to me like you are suggesting that anyone born white must be racist. How are you not a racist?
I honesty believe minorities can be more racist than whites...take groups like BLM, La Raza or the Southern Poverty League.

Old 05-08-2018, 12:05 PM

9,471 posts, read 10,810,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phinneas j. whoopee View Post
It sounds to me like you are suggesting that anyone born white must be racist. How are you not a racist?
The kind of attitude in that post does indicate racism towards white people. That is what white people as a whole need to accept, those pushing this SJW none sense are indeed resentful and racist towards us. Some of these SJWs are really pathetic because they are self loathing white people themselves. Nothing we do will make them happy. You could bow down to them, apologize for your privilege, slavery, Jim Crow and the modern disadvantage they claim to have. You could apologize for every lawman who has shot a black man in the pursuit of his job, you could vote liberal and support more programs and promote diversity and guess what that will get you? Nothing, your still white and they still hate you. If your conservative, southern or Christian they will hate you even more. You are still the oppressor in thier eyes and guilty of slavery, Jim Crow and every other grievances they claim.

STOP APOLOGIZING TO LIBERALS! Stop feeding the beast. Stand tall and be proud of your heritage and culture, stop focusing on the white guilt they tell you you should have. If your a white conservative Proudly defend your belief in capitalism, proudly defend our founding fathers, if you admire southern culture be proud of it and fly your stars and bars, proudly support traditional values. We owe no one an apology I am so sick of people apologizing to these loons, STOP!

Defiance is the attitude we conservatives need to take. Let’s dig in, vote in states rights candidates to our state houses and look to the day our states are in a position to stand up to any federal abuse of our rights that may be coming if there is a “blue wave†in 2020.

Old 05-08-2018, 12:09 PM

30,257 posts, read 23,746,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I think it exists, but I would expand a bit on the original quote, to clarify things.

A big part of privilege has to do with assumptions, and benefit of the doubt.

If you can get the job or the spot at a top-tier university or the scholarship without anyone wondering if you got it because of affirmative action or some kind of quota system, that's privilege. You are being given the benefit of the doubt.

If you can go to a store and not be followed around because the employees think you are there to shoplift, that's privilege. You are being given the benefit of the doubt.

If you can walk or drive anywhere you want without arousing anyone's suspicion, that's privilege. You are being given the benefit of the doubt.

The first example, particularly regarding jobs, is usually white privilege, sometimes male privilege, particularly if it's a technical field: "How did she get that job, everyone knows men are better at STEM?"

The second two, mostly white privilege, and sometimes age privilege. Nobody suspects Grandma of shoplifting, but people watch teens like hawks.

Hell, I can even think of an example of female privilege. A woman can choose to be a stay-at-home parent and no one blinks an eye, but if a man does it, someone, at some point, will say that he's a bad provider - a deadbeat who isn't taking proper care of his family.

So...yeah, privilege is real. If the terminology offends you, think for a moment about the examples above, and call it by a different name if you like. That doesn't make it any less real.

As for those saying people are blaming privilege for all their misfortunes, I didn't see anything in the original post that even hinted at such a thing.
I answered this here:

//www.city-data.com/forum/51828994-post72.html

In response to this post:

//www.city-data.com/forum/51828886-post60.html

Notice that they never came back and responded to that? Guess it didn't fit their narrative.

I have been stopped by cops for stupid reasons just so the cop could mess with me. I got pulled over one time for going 56 in a 55 zone on the freeway.

I've had a cop come to my house because a friend of a roommate really did look like a police sketch (it wasn't him) and they came to question what we knew about the person. During this line of questioning, the cop decided to tell me how I looked very familiar, and started to interrogate me about who I was and my past which had absolutely nothing to do at all with the subject at hand: That my roommates friend actually did look like the sketch of a person who had been robbing convenience stores.

No fear? Really? You think I had no fear while that cop was in my living room interrogating me because she thought I looked familiar to her? (I had never dealt with her in my life, for the record.) Guess what? I get that a lot. "You look familiar." This comes from a lot of people, random people, in many different locations and situations. So how do you think I felt when a cop sitting in my living room started in on that crap?

As for what I wrote in the other post, I know why people do what they do. I do look like a normal person, I do not have any crazy piercings or tattoos, I do not look scraggly or dirty or unkempt. I am clean, I'm normal, and I'm very much a white female who is smaller than a lot of society. So why would they do such things?

It's because I like to wear black. Black pants, black shirts. It doesn't matter if it's plain black pants and shirt, it doesn't matter if it's nice black pants and top - it's the fact that I'm wearing black. I know, because I do have other colored clothes and when I wear those, I'm pretty much invisible to people...at least that's how it feels considering how many of them run into me as if I wasn't there.

That's it. My clothing.

But according to the liberals on here, none of that should matter because I'm white, therefore, I have never experienced anything and "would not know what it feels like".

Except that I have. I'm sure the argument to that will be: "But you can change your clothing." Why should I? I like my clothes. And again, my clothing shouldn't matter because, according to the left, I'm white, therefore I have white privilege.

Someone earlier had it right: It's more about a class system than it is a race system. While I'm not a "poor white", because I dress in black, people assume that I am. And that gets me all of the things that people claim I couldn't possibly know because of my mythological white privilege.

The fact is: If someone thinks your class level is lower than them, you will get treated like sh...no matter what race you are.

Old 05-08-2018, 12:27 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,635,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I was reading an article for one of my graduate courses and thought some of you might find it interesting. It's brief.

Here's a really concise quote.... based on this quote, how would you answer the poll?

"It’s important to note that privilege does not guarantee good outcomes for the privileged group or bad outcomes for everyone else. A white person, for example, can work hard and have little to show for it, can be mistreated by the police without cause, be denied a job they’re qualified for. What privilege does is load the odds one way or the other so that the chance of bad things happening to white people as a category of people is much lower than for everyone else, and the chance of good things happening is much higher. Privilege is not something a person can have, like a possession, as in “Where’s mine?†Instead, it is a characteristic of the social system—like a rule in a game—in which everyone participates."

Here's a link to it if anyone wants to read the article (I promise, it really is short): What is a ‘system of privilege’? – Allan G. Johnson

So... what's your opinion, based on the definition offered above?

I have never in my life been granted anything due to "White Privilege". Not ever has the tone of my skin allowed me any special consideration. Quite the opposite actually but I'm not in a mood to detail that. I come to this using considerable real world experience. I find the notion of said privilege to be unrealistic. Maybe there are certain endeavors that might have it, but I've never seen it myself.

Old 05-08-2018, 12:33 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,589,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
The kind of attitude in that post does indicate racism towards white people. That is what white people as a whole need to accept, those pushing this SJW none sense are indeed resentful and racist towards us. Some of these SJWs are really pathetic because they are self loathing white people themselves. Nothing we do will make them happy. You could bow down to them, apologize for your privilege, slavery, Jim Crow and the modern disadvantage they claim to have. You could apologize for every lawman who has shot a black man in the pursuit of his job, you could vote liberal and support more programs and promote diversity and guess what that will get you? Nothing, your still white and they still hate you. If your conservative, southern or Christian they will hate you even more. You are still the oppressor in thier eyes and guilty of slavery, Jim Crow and every other grievances they claim.

STOP APOLOGIZING TO LIBERALS! Stop feeding the beast. Stand tall and be proud of your heritage and culture, stop focusing on the white guilt they tell you you should have. If your a white conservative Proudly defend your belief in capitalism, proudly defend our founding fathers, if you admire southern culture be proud of it and fly your stars and bars, proudly support traditional values. We owe no one an apology I am so sick of people apologizing to these loons, STOP!

Defiance is the attitude we conservatives need to take. Let’s dig in, vote in states rights candidates to our state houses and look to the day our states are in a position to stand up to any federal abuse of our rights that may be coming if there is a “blue wave†in 2020.
Who is still going to hate whom? I've never felt hated because of my race by anyone I've actually met, and if there is someone out there who hates me as some sort of faceless abstraction, I guess that's on them.

I'm white. I'm neither proud of it nor ashamed of it. It just is. I think sometimes it has caused me to be treated better, in certain situations, than my black brothers and sisters, and that saddens me, but it doesn't make me feel guilty unless I have contributed to it or chosen to ignore it, nor does it mean I want to be treated badly myself, as another poster implied. It certainly doesn't make me hate myself. It *does* make me hate the fact that it happens - that others may be feared, judged, or treated poorly because of their race. It absolutely doesn't make me so damn defensive. There have been times in my life when I did feel defensive, and you know what? They were almost always times when I knew I was wrong about something.

I'm also wondering, what *is* southern culture? If it's the food, I'm all in.

Old 05-08-2018, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Who is still going to hate whom? I've never felt hated because of my race by anyone I've actually met, and if there is someone out there who hates me as some sort of faceless abstraction, I guess that's on them.

I'm white. I'm neither proud of it nor ashamed of it. It just is. I think sometimes it has caused me to be treated better, in certain situations, than my black brothers and sisters, and that saddens me, but it doesn't make me feel guilty unless I have contributed to it or chosen to ignore it, nor does it mean I want to be treated badly myself, as another poster implied. It certainly doesn't make me hate myself. It *does* make me hate the fact that it happens - that others may be feared, judged, or treated poorly because of their race. It absolutely doesn't make me so damn defensive. There have been times in my life when I did feel defensive, and you know what? They were almost always times when I knew I was wrong about something.

Do you consider yourself a white privileged person who benefit from the oppression of others? Do you consider white people to be like sons and daughters of drug kingpins, spending stolen money while acting innocent? This is the conversation we need to have. Dont be defensive.

Old 05-08-2018, 12:38 PM

24,641 posts, read 9,464,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
If you want to convince people that "White Privilege" is a thing, you have to demonstrate that it exists. You have to do that in the face of a giant list of "minorities only" scholarships, subsidies, Affirmative action and benefits. You have to do that in the face of facts. For example, the following groups are more successful than native white Americans in the USA:
1. Jews (for some reason considered not fully white which I've never really understood.) Jews have battled through oppression and adversity the likes of which no other group in history has seen to become the wealthiest and most prosperous demographic in the nation and the world.
2. Asians. If you are ethnically Asian then odds are you will make about 25% more money than whites, this is spite of a long history of mistreatment by whites including the Chinese Exclusion Act and throwing ethnic Japanese into concentration camps in WW2. They finally operate on a mostly level playing field and they're kicking white peoples' butts economically.
3. African migrants. The folks who actually immigrated from Africa when black slavery was long gone make more money on average than whites. This would seem to debunk the theory that the deck is stacked against all blacks because they have the wrong skin color. Just like the previous two groups, simply working hard and persevering has led them to wealth and prosperity. .
Well stated and excellent post. No way would African immigrants with accents and darker skin tones be one of the most highly educated and successful demographics of America if white privilege existed.

White privileged is a myth perpetuated by racists to keep black Americans on welfare and victimized.

Old 05-08-2018, 12:44 PM

Quote:

Its worth pointing out that *insert ethnic group privilege" has been historically used as a defense for genocide and massacres. "Ethnic Tutsi privilige" was beamed from radio stations all throughout Rwanda to rile up the masses into a frenzy which resulted in a genocide against tutsis. Same was true with portrayal of "Jewish privilege" in Nazi Germany, and massacres against ethnic Chinese in Indonesia as they were portrayed as a privileged successful group who kept the common Indonesian man down. Result was thousands of ethnic Chinese massacred.

This rhetoric is dangerous and is definitely used to demonize and antagonize people. This adversarial approach to social issues is highly destructive and only benefit a select few at the top, not common Americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies