Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Please select one
I am a Christian. I support separating children from their parents at the border 69 20.29%
I am a Christian. I do not support separating children from their parents at the border 80 23.53%
I am not a Christian. I support separating children from their parents at the border 59 17.35%
I am not a Christian. I do not support separating children from their parents at the border 132 38.82%
Voters: 340. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2018, 05:28 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,519,061 times

Advertisements

You're free to have any opinion you want on the matter as we all are. I doubt you want serious discourse from people you disagree with. But FWIW, I believe it's fundamentally wrong what is happening at the borders. We're separating kids from their families and shipping them off to a disused Walmart somewhere in Texas. It's inhumane and certainly not Christian-like.

via Imgflip Meme Generator

Old 06-17-2018, 05:31 PM

29,815 posts, read 24,898,335 times
After 8 years of America getting screwed in so many ways, some people became complacent. They referred to it as "the new normal". Now some people are butt hurt because America says no more. Tough luck. We are a sovereign nation and we have the right to defend our borders from invasion!

Old 06-17-2018, 05:34 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,519,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
We are a sovereign nation and we have the right to defend our borders from invasion!
An invasion? From people seeking asylum?

Old 06-17-2018, 05:35 PM

700 posts, read 637,879 times
All previous administrations enforced the border while managing to keep families intact. Parents and children were sent to specially designated family detention centers and then awaited either an immigration trial or were outright deported. It's possible to want tough border enforcement while opposing family separation.

Old 06-17-2018, 05:36 PM

17,341 posts, read 11,274,075 times
These people knew that being separated was a risk when they came here illegally or when they had children here that would be American citizens and they would still be illegals.
Now we're suppose to look the other way because it's not nice to separate families. Too bad. Families are separated as well when a parent commits a crime and ends up in jail. Where's the outrage over that?

Old 06-17-2018, 05:39 PM

29,815 posts, read 24,898,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post

People who are trying to cross the border illegally are invaders. Do it legally, or don't do it at all. Our laws are simple and plainly stated, and if you decide to break them, you become a criminal. And when you become a criminal, you get no sympathy from me. If you don't respect my country enough to obey the laws and follow the rules, I have no obligation to respect you or whatever cause you stand for.

Old 06-17-2018, 05:39 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,809,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post

It seems like homosexuality and Islam are the only two things that outrage these "Christian" Trump supporters. It's bad enough that this administration is ripping children from their families. It's even worse that they are doing it in the name of Jesus Christ.

Old 06-17-2018, 05:41 PM

17,341 posts, read 11,274,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
It seems like homosexuality and Islam are the only two things that outrage these "Christian" Trump supporters. It's bad enough that this administration is ripping children from their families. It's even worse that they are doing it in the name of Jesus Christ.
You must be living on another planet or a liberal in Oklahoma.

Old 06-17-2018, 05:43 PM

23,972 posts, read 15,075,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I don’t understand why this is a controversial policy. People who are breaking our laws should be punished for doing so. If that means being separated from their families, then so be it?

I am not feeling the empathy here, folks. I believe in enforcing law and order. What am I missing?
These are people who come seeking asylum. They are not entering illegally. They go to the border patrol and ask for help. That's what asylum seekers have traditionally done for years. They judge says yes or no. The problem is what to do with them while they await the court date. They used to be given a court date. They didn't show up because the vanished into the country.

Congress needs to come up with a way to keep them together while they wait to have their case heard. Most are sent home.

If we do not like gangs in our country, imagine what it must be like for law abiding G-d loving people who live where the gangs rule? IMO, the countries these people come from need cleaning up so there is no need to flee. That's a UN job. I don't know why somebody has not requested their help.

Old 06-17-2018, 05:43 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,626,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I don’t understand why this is a controversial policy. People who are breaking our laws should be punished for doing so. If that means being separated from their families, then so be it?

I am not feeling the empathy here, folks. I believe in enforcing law and order. What am I missing?
Empathy, one of the cornerstones of all emotionally healthy human beings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies