Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Please select one
I am a Christian. I support separating children from their parents at the border 69 20.29%
I am a Christian. I do not support separating children from their parents at the border 80 23.53%
I am not a Christian. I support separating children from their parents at the border 59 17.35%
I am not a Christian. I do not support separating children from their parents at the border 132 38.82%
Voters: 340. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2018, 05:49 PM

5,302 posts, read 6,187,626 times

Advertisements

The William Wilberforce Act prevents the immediate deportation of minors from countries other than Mexico. It was reauthorized under the George W. Bush regime.

https://bipartisanpolicy.org/blog/un...ildren-primer/

Old 06-17-2018, 05:50 PM

23,649 posts, read 12,561,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Way to go invoking Godwin's Law. You lose.

It's despicable to compare what happened during the Holocaust to what is happening now. When you make such bogus and despicable claims you trivialize the suffering of Holocaust victims.
As someone who did lose family members to the Holocaust, I also find it despicable that anyone would stoop so low as to use something like that merely as a smear tactic. Only very sick people, who obviously don't give a flip about anyone, would do so.

Old 06-17-2018, 05:50 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,378,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5trillion View Post
All previous administrations enforced the border while managing to keep families intact. Parents and children were sent to specially designated family detention centers and then awaited either an immigration trial or were outright deported. It's possible to want tough border enforcement while opposing family separation.
Absolutely. What the current administration is doing is unconscionably cruel and entirely unnecessary. The OP is being obtuse, but I've given up trying reason with those like him.

Old 06-17-2018, 05:54 PM

8,665 posts, read 5,851,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I don’t understand why this is a controversial policy. People who are breaking our laws should be punished for doing so. If that means being separated from their families, then so be it?

I am not feeling the empathy here, folks. I believe in enforcing law and order. What am I missing?

Well, how about we deport you and those of your ilk, like Trump and Sessions to MS-13 territory, and see if you don't try to seek asylum! How anyone can look at that photo of that little girl crying, and not be touched..... has no heart. No surprise for a creep, absentee Father like Trump, who admitted he wasn't around as his kids were growing up, no he was too busy HO-hopping, and like Rodney Dangerfield-pretending to play golf!

Old 06-17-2018, 05:58 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,941,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I don’t understand why this is a controversial policy. People who are breaking our laws should be punished for doing so. If that means being separated from their families, then so be it?

I am not feeling the empathy here, folks. I believe in enforcing law and order. What am I missing?
The integrity of your soul and your shared humanity with the rest of mankind.

You are also missing the teensy little fact that these families who are now being seperated are made up largely of people who came to our borders and officially petitioned for sanctuary as set forth in the laws of the United States. They committed no crime, yet their children are torn from their sides.

Frankly you sound like someone I'm glad I'll never know.

Old 06-17-2018, 06:00 PM

15,534 posts, read 10,510,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
An invasion? From people seeking asylum?
Asylum seekers from Central America would seek asylum in Mexico. Is Mexico not policing their southern border? Something is wrong here.

Old 06-17-2018, 06:00 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,259,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
All kids do similar when they are taken from their parents, whether they are citizens or illegals. good grief.

There are probably over seven million people who are currently in prison, many of them have kids -- that they are separated from. Perhaps you should start a petition to throw kids in jails and prisons to be with their parents after those parents commit crimes and are incarcerated whether they are citizens or not. Yeah, then we'd be known as the country that imprisons innocent children
We have made the mistake of ignoring this crime for so long, that some people dont even consider it a crime anymore. So they are surprised, and they think it is wrong, when we are actually enforcing the law.

It should be alarming when we DONT enforce the law, not when we do.

But you are right. Why should illegal aliens get special treatment that our own citizens dont even get?

Old 06-17-2018, 06:01 PM

23,649 posts, read 12,561,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
An invasion? From people seeking asylum?
You're trying to say that all of the people who've been illegally sneaking into this country and living here, some for decades, are simply asylum seekers that never bothered to ask for asylum?

har .. riiight.

Old 06-17-2018, 06:03 PM

8,665 posts, read 5,851,378 times
Angry 'Disturbing’ anti-Trump front page divide readers

The toddler stands with her mother after being detained by US Border Patrol agents near the US-Mexico border in McAllen, Texas.
One Twitter user questioned what the world was going to do “about such inhumanity”.
“I can only imagine this child’s fear/trauma/distress/as she is separated from her parents,” @mitamuk wrote.

Model Chrissy Teigen tweeted: “This little girl is the same age as my daughter. Luna is the happiest thing. The funniest girl. And she is absolutely terrified to look around and realise she is too far away from us, even for seconds. The fear she would feel here fills me with rage and sadness.”

Central American asylum seekers wait as US Border Patrol agents take groups of them into custody near McAllen, Texas. The families were sent to a US Customs and Border Protection center for possible separation.
According to a Department of Homeland Security spokesman, between April 19 and May 31, 1,995 children were separated from 1,940 adults who were being held by US border patrol.
Some 1,500 boys are being held in a former Walmart supermarket in Texas, and the government is erecting tent structures near the border to house the increasing number of migrant children, including unaccompanied minors, in custody.
https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/re...717e0c92b85d9c

I think we should deport Trump, Sessions, Kellyanne Conway and every other racist.... to MS-13 territory.....and not let them seek asylum!

Every one of these parents should sue the U.S. government for the trauma this has caused them and these children! It is pure racism at it's most V-I-L-E, against people just because they are brown.

Old 06-17-2018, 06:03 PM

10,479 posts, read 4,046,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
The integrity of your soul and your shared humanity with the rest of mankind.

You are also missing the teensy little fact that these families who are now being seperated are made up largely of people who came to our borders and officially petitioned for sanctuary as set forth in the laws of the United States. They committed no crime, yet their children are torn from their sides.

Frankly you sound like someone I'm glad I'll never know.
Where is the proof of this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies