Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2018, 06:19 AM

13,694 posts, read 9,016,074 times

Advertisements

On the one hand, I keep reading about how wonderful (and it is) our economy is, with full employment (which will result in rising wages), rising stock market, rising real estate values, etc.

As such, I am a bit bewildered at how our current trade status with Canada, Mexico, the EU, China, etc., is harming our economy. Indeed, it seems the opposite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2018, 06:19 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
trump has been upfront in meetings with our trading partners about what he wants in trade agreements. trump has been very clear that he is no longer satisfied with the status quo that unfairly benefited the economies of other countries and not America's economy. for trudeau to go on tv rather than tell trump to his face what he was really thinking made trump angry. is anyone surprised by trump's retaliatory reaction to trudeau's end run?

the jury is still out if trump's antagonistic negotiating tactics will provide positive results for American trade, but dismissing his approach out of hand is pure partisanship. after all, trump's aggressive approach resulted in several countries ponying up more funds towards NATO defense spending.
You do not accomplish that by demeaning your trading partners on the plane ride back.

Old 06-10-2018, 06:20 AM

20,836 posts, read 17,112,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Such naive worship is hard to watch.

Trump telling F-U to our most loyal allies isn't helping us, it is hurting us.
We'll see. Telling them they are not going to have an unfair trade advantage is a fair criticism and policy. Why are people so frightened of a strong man asserting himself? That to me is the real question here.

Old 06-10-2018, 06:20 AM

9,742 posts, read 4,499,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
where did you get the bolded? that phrase wasn't anywhere in my post. but since you mentioned the trade deficit with canada:

According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the United States had a USD17.58 billion trade deficit with Canada in 2017, an increase of USD7 billion from 2016. However, this figure only measures trade in goods, tangible products from cars to Hostess cookies.

When measuring trade in both goods and services, the United States had a trade surplus of USD2.8 billion in 2017 according to U.S. Department of Commerce data. In other words, the U.S. surplus in services—things like education services, foreign students at U.S. universities, or financial services provided by U.S.-based firms—more than compensated for the U.S. deficit in goods trade.

Statistics Canada, however, states that the United States does in fact have a trade deficit with Canada, with their numbers reporting that Canada has a surplus of over CD18 billion (USD13.746 billion).

https://www.csis.org/analysis/do-we-...surplus-canada
Trade deficits is what Trump is talking about and you are agreeing with. Yet your own link says we have a trade surplus.

Old 06-10-2018, 06:26 AM

27,579 posts, read 28,687,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
More than 1000 Economists have warned Trump about his trade views, including 14 Nobel Laureates.
I take it that these “economists” would explain that the slow death of U.S. manufacturing jobs was inevitable because of globalization, and there was nothing we could have done about it.

I think it is better to call these people traitors rather than economists.

Old 06-10-2018, 06:28 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,275,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
[/b]

What do you see that I don't. I see a president isolating our country from our allies. They already said they had no problem becoming the G6 because they are not backing down. And we have no idea what the consquences will be for country since Trump doesn't even know. He just wants to be the big man calling the shots. But he's not. So other countries will move on without us. We won't have a seat at the table or have a say in anything just like Russia. How is that going to help us.
Ptrsident said it clearly in his speech at the G-7 (+ the 2 EU Presidents they shoehorned into the meeting) - “The USA is not going to be your Piggy Bank anymore.”

Wealth distribution requires a host. Since the end of World War II the U.S. has been a bottomless treasury for EU subsidy. The payments have been direct and indirect. The indirect have been via U.S. military bases providing security, and also by U.S. trade policy permitting one-way tariff systems. Both forms of indirect payment are now being reversed as part of the modern Trump Doctrine.

He didn’t agree to, or sign their Statement. More than that - they knew he wouldn’t but claimed he did.
He let the World know he didn’t. Now they can all go back home and tell their Governments “ the gig is up” - which President Trump also said during his Statement.

More equality in Tariffs is what Trump demanded - MONEY, and Banking is his Leverage and they know it.

Old 06-10-2018, 06:35 AM

57,311 posts, read 26,236,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I take it that these “economists” would explain that the slow death of U.S. manufacturing jobs was inevitable because of globalization, and there was nothing we could have done about it.

I think it is better to call these people traitors rather than economists.
How would you go about bringing those manufacturing jobs back to the US, raise tariffs on air conditioners and appliances and increasing their costs. Tariffs are not just a balance sheet, there are two sides to a trade deficit.

There is much more than just tariffs in trade agreements, labor and environmental minimum standards, protection of companies.

Old 06-10-2018, 06:38 AM

20,836 posts, read 17,112,746 times
Trudeau was supportive in private and then bashed Trump in public. I call that dishonest and weak also.

No big.

Old 06-10-2018, 06:39 AM

9,742 posts, read 4,499,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Trudeau was supportive in private and then bashed Trump in public. I call that dishonest and weak also.

No big.
How do you know this if it was indeed private?

Old 06-10-2018, 06:40 AM

2,646 posts, read 1,847,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
What a crock.... "Hold you friends close but your Enemies closer" is real....
What gets me, is how he was whooping it up and joking with
Trudeau, after insulting him and all the other decent people that have been our allies, since WWII.

If some of Trump's followers still idolize Trump, shame on them.

A crock? A true leader and diplomat would have class. What in the heck is wrong with Trump??????

He owes the world a favor, he needs to keep his mouth shut once in a while. I am so ashamed of Trump as our president and commander and Chief. My Dad flew wounded soldiers out during WWII, and this man is insulting everyone and adoring Putin...........??????

Congress needs to FIRE this idiot!!!!!!!! NOW!!!!!

Sign the Korean peace treaty and be done with this guy.

The American people and the world deserve better!!!!!!!

Last edited by mollygee; 06-10-2018 at 07:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies