Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2018, 11:44 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,980,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by candalf View Post
Some sectors of the economy are, indeed, doing very well. I am in tech, for example, and get messages from recruiters every other day.

However, I would have to be naive to think that everything is honky dory.

First, the amount of visible misery has exploded where I live. Homeless and tent cities are virtually in every public space. People are literally rotting alive by the thousands and no relief is in sight.

More importantly, even people with jobs that are great on paper are living paycheck to paycheck, as cost of living keeps climbing. On the surface they appear to be doing great but when this boom fizzles out they'll be screwed very quickly. I believe the vast majority of Americans to be in this category.

Outside of the upper and upper middle classes, I would say this "awesome economy" is ephemeral. It does not enable most of us to achieve long term prosperity.

No 401K or other retirement savings for you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2018, 11:53 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,173,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by candalf View Post
Homeless and tent cities are virtually in every public space. People are literally rotting alive by the thousands and no relief is in sight.
And that is solely their choice.

The mentally ill homeless choose not to take the medication that would give them the stability to hold jobs and maintain a home.

Legally, there's nothing you can do about it. You cannot compel people to take medication, and you cannot lock up the mentally ill, unless they are an immediate violent threat to themselves or others, and even then you can only lock them up for 72 hours.

Why should we waste tax-payer dollars on people who refuse to take their medication?

The substance abusers who are homeless choose to abuse alcohol or drugs to the point they cannot hold a job or maintain a home. They refuse to stop using alcohol or drugs, and refuse to seek counseling.

You cannot compel people to enter substance abuse treatment programs, unless they have been arrested for a drug or alcohol related offense, and it is ordered by a judge as part of their sentence, and even then, those people don't want to be in a substance abuse counseling program.

Why should we waste tax-payer money on people who refuse treatment and choose to abuse alcohol or drugs?

The tiny fraction of homeless who might actually work choose not to relocate to another part of the US where they can afford housing, even at minimum wage.

Why should we waste tax-payer money on people who refuse to relocate?

If it would be up to me, I'd round them up, bring them before a judge and have them declared incompetent and made wards of the State, then cart them off to a homeless reservation, you know, like an Indian reservation, only different.

Old 09-10-2018, 12:24 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,274,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru5555 View Post
You’re describing Trump to the T.

funny, Trump didn't sign NAFTA and didn't double down on TPP (Obama and Hillary did) .....it wasn't Trump that got most of the donations from Wall Street and overseas globalists.....those were the Clintons and Obama.

it wasn't Trump that called TPP (NAFTA on steroids) the "GOLD STANDARD".....that was Obama and Hillary.

try again......you are more clueless than a Tijuana cucaracha (cockroach) without its antennas.

Old 09-10-2018, 12:35 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,598,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
And that is solely their choice.

The mentally ill homeless choose not to take the medication that would give them the stability to hold jobs and maintain a home.

Legally, there's nothing you can do about it. You cannot compel people to take medication, and you cannot lock up the mentally ill, unless they are an immediate violent threat to themselves or others, and even then you can only lock them up for 72 hours.

Why should we waste tax-payer dollars on people who refuse to take their medication?

The substance abusers who are homeless choose to abuse alcohol or drugs to the point they cannot hold a job or maintain a home. They refuse to stop using alcohol or drugs, and refuse to seek counseling.

You cannot compel people to enter substance abuse treatment programs, unless they have been arrested for a drug or alcohol related offense, and it is ordered by a judge as part of their sentence, and even then, those people don't want to be in a substance abuse counseling program.

Why should we waste tax-payer money on people who refuse treatment and choose to abuse alcohol or drugs?

The tiny fraction of homeless who might actually work choose not to relocate to another part of the US where they can afford housing, even at minimum wage.

Why should we waste tax-payer money on people who refuse to relocate?

If it would be up to me, I'd round them up, bring them before a judge and have them declared incompetent and made wards of the State, then cart them off to a homeless reservation, you know, like an Indian reservation, only different.
I'm not sure how far back your knowledge of social economic culture goes, but mine goes back 3000 years. The Institution of Slavery was derived from Debtors Prison. Where as a person who was in debt to the government could be purchased for the amount of the person's debt to society. Upon release to their purchaser they would then work for that person until which time their debt was paid rather than go to prison.

And every time I think we may have moved forward, turns out, not so much:
Debtors' Prisons
Quote:
Nearly two centuries ago, the United States formally abolished the incarceration of people who failed to pay off debts. Yet, recent years have witnessed the rise of modern-day debtors' prisons—the arrest and jailing of poor people for failure to pay legal debts they can never hope to afford, through criminal justice procedures that violate their most basic rights.
Debtors' Prison in 21st-Century America

For failing to pay parking tickets, court fees, and other petty municipal citations, black residents of Greater St. Louis are ending up behind bars.
Quote:
In 1846, Dred Scott began his infamous legal battle in what is now called the “Old Courthouse” in downtown St. Louis. Scott had traveled with his master from Missouri to Illinois and the Wisconsin Territory, neither of which recognized slavery. Having lived for an extended period in free territory, Scott argued that state law supported his claim to freedom. But the Missouri Supreme Court disagreed. The court’s message to Scott was clear: Perhaps you can live freely elsewhere, but not here.
<snip>
As the recent deluge of reports and litigation confirms, and many have long known, thousands of people throughout the St. Louis metropolitan area are routinely sent to jail because they cannot pay local court fines and fees. These people are poor, and they tend to be black. While there are many terms to describe this—including, importantly, unconstitutional—there is one with historical resonance reserved for such a practice: debtors’ prison.
Where as one comes back, the other might soon follow.

Old 09-10-2018, 12:35 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,024,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
Not in my America. In my America there's an investment surge on housing that's surpassing 2006 levels. There's jobs everywhere, and our state is growing at an astronomical pace. The poor simply have to grab a coattail and hang on for the ride to the top...
I was having some of that in my America since about 2010......it has begun to slow down. House prices aren't increasing as fast , job growth is consistent but not booming like it did a few years ago.

Every community is different.

The poor are struggling though. As house prices are rising -- cost of living is too. They are being pushed further out and with less choices. Harder to get to jobs. etc.....their communities are still urban deserts for grocery stores.

Jobs are plentiful but they pay the same as they did 6 years ago and housing has gone up.

Cost of food has risen.

They are pedaling faster and staying in the same place.

Old 09-10-2018, 12:47 PM

17,005 posts, read 12,597,924 times
All these high horses are funny. I see a whole herd.

Old 09-10-2018, 01:04 PM

25,580 posts, read 17,298,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Of course they do. The corrupt crooks are enriching themselves and their cronies. The wage is not why they do it. The power that comes with the jobs is why they do it.
Perhaps you could give us an example of how Betsy DeVoss is enriching herself and her cronies...
Ben Carson?.....
Jeff Sessions?.......
No?

Old 09-10-2018, 01:16 PM

3,321 posts, read 1,101,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
funny, Trump didn't sign NAFTA and didn't double down on TPP (Obama and Hillary did) .....it wasn't Trump that got most of the donations from Wall Street and overseas globalists.....those were the Clintons and Obama.

it wasn't Trump that called TPP (NAFTA on steroids) the "GOLD STANDARD".....that was Obama and Hillary.

try again......you are more clueless than a Tijuana cucaracha (cockroach) without its antennas.
And you are delusional; Trump has done nothing but cater to the wealthy and elites. What “good trade deals” has he actually made?

Old 09-10-2018, 01:39 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,879,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
I'm not sure how far back your knowledge of social economic culture goes, but mine goes back 3000 years. The Institution of Slavery was derived from Debtors Prison. Where as a person who was in debt to the government could be purchased for the amount of the person's debt to society. Upon release to their purchaser they would then work for that person until which time their debt was paid rather than go to prison.

And every time I think we may have moved forward, turns out, not so much:
Debtors' Prisons
Debtors' Prison in 21st-Century America

For failing to pay parking tickets, court fees, and other petty municipal citations, black residents of Greater St. Louis are ending up behind bars.
Where as one comes back, the other might soon follow.
Fines, tickets and citations are not the same thing as a financial debt. They are a form of punishment short of or in lieu of serving jail time for violating a law or ordinance.

Old 09-10-2018, 01:41 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,492,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
Same old story, the rich keep getting richer and the poor keep getting poorer, except that we are
practically back to a Caste system society now.
It is a tale of epic sadness that some people could work full time jobs and still struggle to feed their families and sometimes still end up homeless.
America should be better than this.

and who is to blame....

democrats...more specifically the far left globalist liberals who have sold this country down the creek
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies