Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 08:15 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,305,742 times

Advertisements

That's what some will have us believe, anyway. "More guns!" "Let's arm our teachers!"

Most teachers are NOT gonna shoot kids, or anyone else - plain & simple.

Quit pushing guns on a populace not inclined to take lives and give 'em something non-lethal to work with. A taser or even rocks are better than nothing to a teacher who will refuse to kill others using firearms.

(Insert ubiquitous Knife to a Gunfight arguments below.)

Let the school resource officers or on-site LEOs possess their guns, but let's keep our teachers unholstered. Who's with me?

Fact: a gun is an effective counter to another gun

Opinion: a gun is THE ONLY counter to another gun

Rumor: you CANNOT stop a gunman without using another gun
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2018, 10:05 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,612,875 times
Well...NOT allowing teachers to carry sounds like an infringement to me.

How about just leave this decision up to the individuals, if they want to carry, fine, if not, thats fine too.

Old 12-06-2018, 10:13 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,917,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
That's what some will have us believe, anyway. "More guns!" "Let's arm our teachers!"

Most teachers are NOT gonna shoot kids, or anyone else - plain & simple.

Quit pushing guns on a populace not inclined to take lives and give 'em something non-lethal to work with. A taser or even rocks are better than nothing to a teacher who will refuse to kill others using firearms.

(Insert ubiquitous Knife to a Gunfight arguments below.)

Let the school resource officers or on-site LEOs possess their guns, but let's keep our teachers unholstered. Who's with me?

Fact: a gun is an effective counter to another gun

Opinion: a gun is THE ONLY counter to another gun

Rumor: you CANNOT stop a gunman without using another gun
The son of a friend of mine was just murdered two nights ago. He was a passenger in a vehicle who was killed in what appears to be a road rage incident. A gun would have done no good for him. Murdered only a few months from graduating from high school and moving away to college. Such a bright soul with his life cut short over...what? I have no words.

What would have saved him was no guns existing in the first place - but that is a world that will never exist - and it is depressing as hell.

Old 12-06-2018, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
The son of a friend of mine was just murdered two nights ago. He was a passenger in a vehicle who was killed in what appears to be a road rage incident. A gun would have done no good for him. Murdered only a few months from graduating from high school and moving away to college. Such a bright soul with his life cut short over...what? I have no words.

What would have saved him was no guns existing in the first place - but that is a world that will never exist - and it is depressing as hell.
If no guns existed, the guy would have probably just ran him over with his car, the 'gun' is just the tool they are using, if they didnt exist, he could use something else to kill.

If people started using vehicles to kill other people, would society still tolerate them and accept that their benefits outweigh the negatives, or would they seek to ban or heavily regulate vehicles?...

Look at all the people who have died as a result of motor vehicle accidents, equipment malfunctions, etc going back to when the first motorized car was invented...and people are angry about self driving cars because they may not be totally safe? LOL, they seemed to accept that motorized cars kill plenty of people but they are still good to have around and generally switching from horse and buggy to the motor car was a good thing overall.

Old 12-06-2018, 10:37 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,343,520 times
I'm not going to pass judgement on guns in school; since "Guns don't kill people -- people kill people", the challenge should be to identify, and not to provoke, the severely-alienated individual who's most likely to snap.

One thing I do believe, and firmly, is that the subtler-but-stronger more comprehensive regimen being imposed in secondary schools, serves to intensify the resentments which eventually boil over-- I've been acquainted, unfortunately, with a number of people in positions of power who enjoy humiliating someone on their "ugly" list. I also see this as a probably-unintentional by-product of the mega-trend of the emancipation of women -- since this particular approach is better suited to the fairer (and subtler) sex. No prejudice -- just fact.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 12-06-2018 at 11:07 PM..

Old 12-06-2018, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
I'm not going to pass judgement on guns in school; since "Guns don't kill people -- people kill people", the challenge should be to identify, and not to provoke, the severely-alienated individual who's most likely to snap.

One thing I do believe, and firmly, is that the subtler-but-stronger more comprehensive regimen being imposed in secondary schools, serves to intensify the resentments which eventually boil over. I also see this as a probably-unintentional by-product of the mega-trend of the emancipation of women -- since this particular approach is better suited to the fairer (and subtler) sex. No prejudice -- just fact.
Im positive law enforcement in the US would LOVE to start a 'pre-crime' agency, Im pretty sure there is someone, somewhere trying to develop the technology to do this right now.

Old 12-06-2018, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
If no guns existed, the guy would have probably just ran him over with his car, the 'gun' is just the tool they are using, if they didnt exist, he could use something else to kill.

If people started using vehicles to kill other people, would society still tolerate them and accept that their benefits outweigh the negatives, or would they seek to ban or heavily regulate vehicles?...

Look at all the people who have died as a result of motor vehicle accidents, equipment malfunctions, etc going back to when the first motorized car was invented...and people are angry about self driving cars because they may not be totally safe? LOL, they seemed to accept that motorized cars kill plenty of people but they are still good to have around and generally switching from horse and buggy to the motor car was a good thing overall.
Run him over while he was inside a car? Not sure how that would work.

The proliferation of guns in this country is really one of our greatest embarrassments on the world stage, if you ask me.

Argue it however you want, but we are a sorely obvious outlier compared to the rest of the developed world when it comes to gun violence. The data doesn't lie. And my friend's child just became another data point - which is sickening to me.

Old 12-07-2018, 12:16 AM

34,237 posts, read 18,599,254 times
The data is clear. Guns save more lives of the law abiding than they harm. Look at the FBI stats. It is mostly gang bangers, and suicides. So they above is very, very wrong.

Old 12-07-2018, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
The data is clear. Guns save more lives of the law abiding than they harm. Look at the FBI stats. It is mostly gang bangers, and suicides. So they above is very, very wrong.
Your post literally contradicts itself.

Your argument basically boils down to: if you ignore all of those people dying from guns, we're saving lives!

I really don't have patience for these kind of BS arguments right now.

We are an embarrassment compared to the rest of the world.

But hey, you get to keep your gun...

Old 12-07-2018, 12:25 AM

34,237 posts, read 18,599,254 times
Damn right I get to keep my gun, and no my argument makes perfect sense. Enforce existing laws which are already far too many. Keep career criminals off the streets. I don't give a flying F what the rest of the world thinks. They can be serfs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies