Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 10:00 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,915,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
LOL, you do know the US govt was giving the MExican drug cartels weapons when operation Fast and Furious was going on...right? Cartels are as well armed as military!
I'm well aware of F&F. Next time I'll add this after my statement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2018, 10:04 AM

482 posts, read 242,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
The data is clear. Guns save more lives of the law abiding than they harm. Look at the FBI stats. It is mostly gang bangers, and suicides. So they above is very, very wrong.
I'm a gun guy, and that's not true at all. Far more innocent lives are taken by gun violence than are saved by guns.

This of course does not matter to me because I feel that I should have the freedom to defend my own life. This country was founded on that freedom, and if people don't like it, they also have the freedom to leave.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzZHrtAuCm8

Old 12-07-2018, 10:11 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,458,676 times
How about we not be stupid and recognize that if we have to ask our teachers to double-duty as soldiers in a war zone, then obviously we have long ago lost our way as a safe and civilized society?...

Arming teachers is a bandaid on a festering terminal wound. Sure, you need it because you have the wound. But it doesn't fix the wound. The real solution involves not being a society that tolerates arms proliferation to every idiot in the land; also, to becoming a culture with social capital that doesn't encourage inbred hatred, glorification of violence, etc.

And until we figure that out, we'll all be strapping and prepping for bloody shoot-outs just to go get groceries on Sunday. Is that the kind of world you want to live in?

Old 12-07-2018, 10:13 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,616,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
How about we not be stupid and recognize that if we have to ask our teachers to double-duty as soldiers in a war zone, then obviously we have long ago lost our way as a safe and civilized society?...

Arming teachers is a bandaid on a festering terminal wound. Sure, you need it because you have the wound. But it doesn't fix the wound. The real solution involves not being a society that tolerates arms proliferation to every idiot in the land. And until we figure that out, we'll all be strapping and having bloody shoot-outs just to go get groceries on Sunday. Is that the kind of world you want to live in?
What else can you do, if you cannot treat the cause of the wound?

Old 12-07-2018, 10:24 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,013,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post

Arming teachers is a bandaid on a festering terminal wound. Sure, you need it because you have the wound. But it doesn't fix the wound. The real solution involves not being a society that tolerates arms proliferation to every idiot in the land; also, to becoming a culture with social capital that doesn't encourage inbred hatred, glorification of violence, etc.

And until we figure that out, we'll all be strapping and prepping for bloody shoot-outs just to go get groceries on Sunday. Is that the kind of world you want to live in?

Well, maybe the opposite is true as well.

That we aren't recognizing the situation and we are blindly believing that things should be a "safe and civilized society"?

Or to put it another way, "we can be safe or free but the two don't exist together".

As a woman, should I be a split second away from full weapons release, full combat mode? Certainly that is not the way in a "safe and civilized society"........

.......but in reality, that is how it has to be. The criminal has the advantage for they know when they will attack, who they will attack.

All I have is that split second and if I don't use it, to take them out, then I am lost.

FINALLY, I don't want to be defenseless so others can lose me so promote their utopia.

Old 12-07-2018, 10:27 AM

15,802 posts, read 20,532,052 times
I'm a gun guy, and my wife is a teacher.

There's no hope for her actually being able to use the damn thing. Trust me, I tried. Even an arcade shooter is a challenge for her. She would be better off throwing it at an active shooter. I've also met may of her peers. Bright, smart young women/men with a passion for teaching...but ability to transform into a tactical commando? Not going to happen.

I think the solution is elsewhere.

Old 12-07-2018, 10:32 AM

19,724 posts, read 10,138,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
Its simple: more guns equals more gun deaths. Period.
But the places with the most restrictive gun laws have the most gun homicides.

Old 12-07-2018, 10:36 AM

19,724 posts, read 10,138,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spider99 View Post
I'm a gun guy, and that's not true at all. Far more innocent lives are taken by gun violence than are saved by guns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzZHrtAuCm8
According to the CDC study that Obama wasted $10 million on and FBI statistics, you are wrong.

Old 12-07-2018, 10:41 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,616,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
According to the CDC study that Obama wasted $10 million on and FBI statistics, you are wrong.
Although I agree with you, Im not sure FBI statistics are that accurate, they have a LONG history of 'fudging' and corruption, so their credibility is at zero imo.

Old 12-07-2018, 10:54 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,502,847 times
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...nce-in-america

Only in America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies