Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 09:34 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,616,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post
That has only happened around 8 times total. Seeing as how many planes fly without incident, the number of those incidents are minuscule.

If only 8 people were deliberately killed by guns in the history of guns, we wouldnt have to talk about this.
But guns were designed to kill, and the ATF needs a digital database to trace guns used in crimes, and to find out which gun dealers are putting illegal guns on the streets of this country. The guns also need to be registered like cars, and the bullets purchase history needs to be recorded.
My response came after a mention of things not being used for what they were created for, (cars used as weapons to kill or injure people), this has happened numerous times, but its still fairly easy to go buy a car...yes there are restrictions and regulations involved in buying a car, but in general, access to them has never been heavily regulated due to a small number of people using them as weapons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2018, 01:28 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,138,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
My response came after a mention of things not being used for what they were created for, (cars used as weapons to kill or injure people), this has happened numerous times, but its still fairly easy to go buy a car...yes there are restrictions and regulations involved in buying a car, but in general, access to them has never been heavily regulated due to a small number of people using them as weapons.
I can buy an old car on Facebook that runs for less than the cost of most guns and don't need ID to buy it. Cars are listed daily for under $300.

Old 12-10-2018, 01:36 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,088,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post
That has only happened around 8 times total. Seeing as how many planes fly without incident, the number of those incidents are minuscule.

If only 8 people were deliberately killed by guns in the history of guns, we wouldnt have to talk about this.
But guns were designed to kill, and the ATF needs a digital database to trace guns used in crimes, and to find out which gun dealers are putting illegal guns on the streets of this country. The guns also need to be registered like cars, and the bullets purchase history needs to be recorded.
microstamping ammo has already been proven to be useless. Plus, all a criminal needs is some rounds fired from someone else's gun.

How would we get a fired bullet from 400 million rounds to put into a db. Plus, the grooves change over time as the gun gets fired.

I've sold many cars where I reported the sale but the buyer didn't. The same thing would happen. Instantly that db is about useless.

Old 12-10-2018, 02:15 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,305,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
I can buy an old car on Facebook that runs for less than the cost of most guns and don't need ID to buy it. Cars are listed daily for under $300.
Are you gonna buy it to drive into a crowd of pedestrians?

Old 12-10-2018, 02:19 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,663,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
That's what some will have us believe, anyway. "More guns!" "Let's arm our teachers!"

Most teachers are NOT gonna shoot kids, or anyone else - plain & simple.

Quit pushing guns on a populace not inclined to take lives and give 'em something non-lethal to work with. A taser or even rocks are better than nothing to a teacher who will refuse to kill others using firearms.

(Insert ubiquitous Knife to a Gunfight arguments below.)

Let the school resource officers or on-site LEOs possess their guns, but let's keep our teachers unholstered. Who's with me?

Fact: a gun is an effective counter to another gun

Opinion: a gun is THE ONLY counter to another gun

Rumor: you CANNOT stop a gunman without using another gun

Never having to use it, my daughter carried her .38 to school everyday, once she started driving.

Old 12-10-2018, 02:20 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,663,022 times
Shall not be infringed. Sure gets infringed, like it isn't even there.

Old 12-10-2018, 02:22 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,305,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Never having to use it, my daughter carried her .38 to school everyday, once she started driving.
What does that have to do with arming teachers against students who bring guns to school?

Old 12-10-2018, 02:31 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,138,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
Are you gonna buy it to drive into a crowd of pedestrians?
I am not, but there are those who would.

Old 12-10-2018, 03:07 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,826,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
I'm absolutely sick and tired of people who don't understand natural rights. Here's the solution:

Everybody gets to own any type of weapon they please. Period.

NOW this thread can go away peacefully.
Usually I'm arguing against the gun grabbers but this extremist view on my side of the argument is just as dumb.

There's no such thing as "natural rights"... as long as we humans aren't living in low numbers among small hunter-gatherer bands, our "rights" will merely be the level of leeway the more powerful humans in control allow the weaker humans under their dominance to exercise.

Granted, if the elites squeeze too tight and make too many enemies they are likely to end up on the receiving end of their former subject's wrath but that only results in the empowerment of a new set of elites who always does the same damn thing in an endless circle-jerk. Nobody is ever truly free in this world... we are a naturally social species and there are a crapton of us, therefore we will always have to make agreements and concessions with others so we can coexist (relatively) peacefully.

Sorry to be a realist (and I would prefer to be 100% free from the opinions/machinations of others myself) but that's just a fact, like the fact that sitting outside in a winter storm wearing only your underwear will give you hypothermia/death regardless of your right to sit outside in your underwear or that if you jump off a cliff, gravity will take you to the bottom and momentum will crush and mangle your delicate meatbag no matter how entitled you feel about being able to fly.

That said, the bottom line is that there should in fact be gun control enforced on American society... and there is! Anti-gun people act like their isn't any gun control at all but it is in fact already one of the more highly regulated activities you can engage in here in the USA.

I'm only here to argue that we're already past the point of diminishing returns with regards to gun control and that any more restrictions cost more freedom than they pay back in security... you can give away even more of your government-granted gun rights but you aren't gonna be any safer than you were before and that seems like a really bad deal for us "little people".

Besides, if there were no limits on the private ownership of arms, you and I wouldn't be the ones with nukes stocked up in the garage to take out into the desert for a REALLY fun weekend of valley-blasting... it would be Google or Mark Zuckerberg or maybe the Clintons who would be using them to make themselves your gods.

Limits aren't all bad... now if only we could all get some REAL common sense and agree on where those limits should be set.

Last edited by Chango; 12-10-2018 at 03:31 PM..

Old 12-10-2018, 03:50 PM

2,260 posts, read 1,139,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
microstamping ammo has already been proven to be useless. Plus, all a criminal needs is some rounds fired from someone else's gun.

How would we get a fired bullet from 400 million rounds to put into a db. Plus, the grooves change over time as the gun gets fired.

I've sold many cars where I reported the sale but the buyer didn't. The same thing would happen. Instantly that db is about useless.
That just goes to show you dont want a solution, and I dont know why...because the solutions are easy.

You dont microstamp ammo. You only record who buys what box of bullets.

And as long as the ATF cant trace the guns, theres no point in tracing ammo.

As far as selling cars to people that dont report the sale, if they want to drive the car more than once, they have to register it to make it legal. If they dont, and the cops run the tag, they get pulled over.
As long as guns are only legal to be sold at a limited number of shops and not at gun shows or hand to hand, the issues of illegal guns on the streets, and guns sold without background checks and killings by nut jobs will reduce dramatically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies