Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 11:02 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,013,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post

EXACTLY!

Only in America would we have an article in a science journal that is soon political.

After all, where is arguing the language of the Constitution a psychological issue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2018, 11:08 AM

19,724 posts, read 10,138,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
EXACTLY!

Only in America would we have an article in a science journal that is soon political.

After all, where is arguing the language of the Constitution a psychological issue?
And the article plays loose with the facts. It says research was stopped in 1996 and yet, the CDC spent $10,000,000 on such a study in 2008.

Old 12-07-2018, 11:34 AM

9,143 posts, read 5,808,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
Its simple: more guns equals more gun deaths. Period.
In other words, only "gun deaths" count.

Fools focus on tools, rather than the "violence problem."

Old 12-07-2018, 11:39 AM

482 posts, read 242,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
According to the CDC study that Obama wasted $10 million on and FBI statistics, you are wrong.
it's not even close bud.
You are FAR more likely to be shot by a bad guy than to shoot a bad guy. That might be different if everyone carried, but this is a fact. Look it up. As I said, it's not even close.

You are actually more likely to shoot yourself with a gun than a bad guy if you really want to break it down. The stats are pretty clear with this type of stuff as well.

Look, I've carried a gun on me almost every day for about 20 years and never once have been in a situation where I thought I might need to draw it. In that time, I personally have known 2 people that have shot themselves and one that shot his girlfriend as well while at it.

With all that said, I support the right to carry because I will take liberty over safety. I'm not blind to reality about my decision like a lot of gun owners are though. I certainly believe that gun ownership is not for everyone, and it becomes more clear the older I get.

Old 12-07-2018, 11:41 AM

19,724 posts, read 10,138,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spider99 View Post
it's not even close bud.
You are FAR more likely to be shot by a bad guy than to shoot a bad guy. That might be different if everyone carried, but this is a fact. Look it up. As I said, it's not even close.

You are actually more likely to shoot yourself with a gun than a bad guy if you really want to break it down. The stats are pretty clear with this type of stuff as well.

Look, I've carried a gun on me almost every day for about 20 years and never once have been in a situation where I thought I might need to draw it. In that time, I personally have known 2 people that have shot themselves and one that shot his girlfriend as well while at it.

With all that said, I support the right to carry because I will take liberty over safety. I'm not blind to reality about my decision like a lot of gun owners are though. I certainly believe that gun ownership is not for everyone, and it becomes more clear the older I get.
Have you read the CDC study?

Old 12-07-2018, 06:23 PM

1,645 posts, read 1,215,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
The son of a friend of mine was just murdered two nights ago. He was a passenger in a vehicle who was killed in what appears to be a road rage incident. A gun would have done no good for him. Murdered only a few months from graduating from high school and moving away to college. Such a bright soul with his life cut short over...what? I have no words.

What would have saved him was no guns existing in the first place - but that is a world that will never exist - and it is depressing as hell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
first let me say, that I am sorry for your loss

I had an issue similar a few years back, where I lost a good friend to road rage..... the tool the perp used...a tire iron... what was worse was the loss was not immediate.... my friend spent weeks in the hospital , major brain damage, before she succumbed finally to her injuries.

road rage is a real problem out there...and in my opinion, its getting worse

Again sorry for you loss.

Who are you looking to blame/punish for this horrible event? I am not trying to insult you and this is a serious question.

Are you looking to blame the person who shot your friends son?

Are you looking to blame Smith & Wesson or Glock?

Or are you looking to blame your fellow citizens for the 2nd amendment?

Old 12-07-2018, 08:02 PM

2,260 posts, read 1,139,533 times
Oh sure.
Let the teachers have guns in school, then when they actually have to use them the cops show up and shoot the teachers right?

If youre a teacher better make sure the cops dont see that gun anywhere near you or you will get shot trying to defend the school.
Even while youre trying to hold the guy down. Throw it out the window before the cops show up. Otherwise the gun nuts will say you didnt comply fast enough and you deserved to die.

3 cases recently of cops killing the good guy with a gun.

Old 12-07-2018, 08:27 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,917,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigby06 View Post
Again sorry for you loss.

Who are you looking to blame/punish for this horrible event? I am not trying to insult you and this is a serious question.

Are you looking to blame the person who shot your friends son?

Are you looking to blame Smith & Wesson or Glock?

Or are you looking to blame your fellow citizens for the 2nd amendment?
Thank you.

Other than the disgusting loser who deserves to rot in prison for what he did, I'm not looking to blame anyone specific.

But gun proliferation is a problem in our country - and we should recognize it. Compared to rest of the developed world, we are an outlier.

Old 12-07-2018, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
Does that include cops, the military, and the entire U.S. government?

Or just average ordinary everyday individuals?
Of course it includes all guns and weapons.

Old 12-07-2018, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
first let me say, that I am sorry for your loss

I had an issue similar a few years back, where I lost a good friend to road rage..... the tool the perp used...a tire iron... what was worse was the loss was not immediate.... my friend spent weeks in the hospital , major brain damage, before she succumbed finally to her injuries.

road rage is a real problem out there...and in my opinion, its getting worse
Thank you - it still hurts to talk about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies