Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2019, 05:03 PM

3,372 posts, read 1,567,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnluver8956 View Post
Some are more equal than others right?! Fascism coming soon if these Dems get power!

https://legalinsurrection.com/2019/0...ction-chances/

The democrats will lose in 2020 if they continue current course with their obsession over identity politics. They just don't get it. If they would run someone outside of the political establishment who has a successful record in business and focus on the average middle-class American and the student loan crisis they would have a chance.

There are a lot of people out there who are tired of the various social agendas. They won't talk about it openly because they know better than to do that in today's ultra PC era and the social media mobs out there, but they sure as hell will vote against it in the election. Call them closet Trump supporters. There are more than you think out there.

As of right now, given the current trajectory of the democrats, Trump will be reelected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2019, 05:05 PM

5,955 posts, read 2,883,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
I'm not sure about that. David Brooks did an interesting piece last week about the article that started all this. He was advocating for a conversation, a real one, regarding slavery, Jim Crow, etc.

I just discovered that until 1934 Cadillac would not sell to blacks. GM was going to discontinue that line of cars due to the depression. An employee told management that blacks paid whites $400 to purchase a Cadillac for them. If GM would sell to blacks they could get the $400. It worked. I suspect that many stories like that are out there.

Reparations does not necessarily mean green folding dollars. Some advocate for adequate educational opportunities for those who want it.

David Brooks suggested reparations could mean that our culture recognize the stories of all of us. Not so far off from the anti semitism that is not acknowledged by some while simultaneously hurting others so deeply.
LBJ,s Great Society has been killing this country for the past fifty plus years and reparations will put it in the ground.
As far as GM and not selling to blacks,that has to be proven and not hearsay..If true take up the cause with Blacks who were sixteen years old in 1934.

Old 03-17-2019, 05:11 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,233,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnluver8956 View Post
Some are more equal than others right?! Fascism coming soon if these Dems get power!

https://legalinsurrection.com/2019/0...ction-chances/
And those effort will equally go nowhere.

Just the usual liberal promising of free money to get elected.

Old 03-17-2019, 05:32 PM

24,005 posts, read 15,096,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
LBJ,s Great Society has been killing this country for the past fifty plus years and reparations will put it in the ground.
As far as GM and not selling to blacks,that has to be proven and not hearsay..If true take up the cause with Blacks who were sixteen years old in 1934.
You can verify the Cadillac story by reading William Knoedelseder's book about Harley Earl.

There's not a thing wrong with acknowledging the damage done. I said not everyone wants money.

Old 03-17-2019, 05:55 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Will there likewise be reparations paid to people whose ancestors fought in the Union Army to end African-American slavery and were killed or maimed doing so?

Hey... What about my 1/4 Cherokee ass? You all need to pay up! I just want the land in Southern Georgia, that is rightfully mine, back. That will be good enough for me.

Old 03-17-2019, 05:59 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 26 days ago)

29,573 posts, read 16,556,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
I'm not sure about that. David Brooks did an interesting piece last week about the article that started all this. He was advocating for a conversation, a real one, regarding slavery, Jim Crow, etc.

I just discovered that until 1934 Cadillac would not sell to blacks. GM was going to discontinue that line of cars due to the depression. An employee told management that blacks paid whites $400 to purchase a Cadillac for them. If GM would sell to blacks they could get the $400. It worked. I suspect that many stories like that are out there.

Reparations does not necessarily mean green folding dollars. Some advocate for adequate educational opportunities for those who want it.

David Brooks suggested reparations could mean that our culture recognize the stories of all of us. Not so far off from the anti semitism that is not acknowledged by some while simultaneously hurting others so deeply.
The same was true of renting to black people(which strangely enough, i found out from Reason Magazine).

I had already known what Redlining was, I had already known about higher rents for people of color. But I didnt know how systemic it was with the context of the actual law.

Old 03-18-2019, 05:28 AM

73,048 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Native Americans get reparations. Japanese-Americans got reparations AND an apology. But when talking about Black Americans, the answer is always "NO". Black Americans should have gotten them over 150 years ago. The answer ended up being "no" back then too. And no, affirmative action is not reparations. White females benefit from it. Welfare is not reparations. Anyone can get welfare.

This is how I see it. Black people didn't come to America on their own volition. Blacks are the only group who came here wtih absolutely no say in the deal. They didn't immigrate here. They didn't come here as indentured servants. They came as basically permanent captives. And their descendants would be born as slaves. At least 200 years of slavery. Japanese-Americans can get reparations and an apology. And don't give me that crap about "well, the ones who should get them are dead". The heirs of those imprisoned got them. Why not Black Americans?

Old 03-18-2019, 05:37 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,510,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Native Americans get reparations. Japanese-Americans got reparations AND an apology. But when talking about Black Americans, the answer is always "NO". Black Americans should have gotten them over 150 years ago. The answer ended up being "no" back then too. And no, affirmative action is not reparations. White females benefit from it. Welfare is not reparations. Anyone can get welfare.

This is how I see it. Black people didn't come to America on their own volition. Blacks are the only group who came here wtih absolutely no say in the deal. They didn't immigrate here. They didn't come here as indentured servants. They came as basically permanent captives. And their descendants would be born as slaves. At least 200 years of slavery. Japanese-Americans can get reparations and an apology. And don't give me that crap about "well, the ones who should get them are dead". The heirs of those imprisoned got them. Why not Black Americans?
The descendants of the Holocaust victims didn't get them. My grandparents thanked their lucky stars that they left Europe in time and didn't ask to get paid for losing their parents and siblings and nieces and nephews. They felt blessed to be in America, where their children had a chance to study hard, go to college, and live comfortable middle-class lIves. Which they did. Every single one.

Old 03-18-2019, 05:43 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,600,110 times
The Democrats are going to re-elect Trump far more than Trump will.

Old 03-18-2019, 05:50 AM

73,048 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
The descendants of the Holocaust victims didn't get them. My grandparents thanked their lucky stars that they left Europe in time and didn't ask to get paid for losing their parents and siblings and nieces and nephews. They felt blessed to be in America, where their children had a chance to study hard, go to college, and live comfortable middle-class lIves. Which they did. Every single one.
That still doesn't answer my question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies