Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 09:21 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,540,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
Fascism is a far right thing.

Your link is an opinion piece by a far right blogger. Take it with a grain of salt.
Really? Fascism knows no political party. Get real.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2019, 09:21 AM

30,274 posts, read 23,751,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnluver8956 View Post
Some are more equal than others right?! Fascism coming soon if these Dems get power!

https://legalinsurrection.com/2019/0...ction-chances/
Then the Dems can give it to them since the Dems are the ones that took away their 40 acres and a mule. Tax them. Leave everyone else alone.

Old 03-18-2019, 09:58 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,713,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnluver8956 View Post
Some are more equal than others right?! Fascism coming soon if these Dems get power!

https://legalinsurrection.com/2019/0...ction-chances/

Here is the quagmire. Would a racist nation ever pay reparations to the race they oppressed, even if the oppressed race had 3 times the level of poverty, over twice the rate of unemployment, 12 times less wealth, etc, etc?

I think its silly to think reparations will pass in a nation where so many people are racist. It's different than electing a black president. It's one thing to see one black person elevated to a high position than to be okay with an effort to elevate the position of millions of black people. I mean, you can elect a black person as president, as long as they cater to the issues of the white majority, and not address or try to target blacks for help specifically. Had Obama talked about programs or something that were to target blacks to promote economic equality.....he would have never been elected president.

Expecting America to pay reparations.....to me.....suggest that racism is no longer an issue in America. One cannot see racism as being alive and well....and believe that seeking reparations will not result in a huge racial backlash.

Old 03-18-2019, 09:58 AM

24,005 posts, read 15,096,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Sorry, it will be given to a black person whose ancestors came here a hundred years after slavery was ended.
This sounds like you think the people asking for reparations are greedy idiots.

This whole thread had a lot of jumping to conclusions. Most of us posting here do not even know what is being proposed, who is doing it and what their justification is. Is it all about slavery? Jim Crow laws? Most of us white people have no clue the effect Jim Crow laws had on the descendants of slaves.

I had household help one day a week when my kids were very little. Mostly because it took all day to launder oxford cloth shirts.

Anyway, when we were transferred to the town for a year, we rented. I had a lovely house that the company Dr just left to move into his brand new home. We paid market rates for a nice house in an upscale community.

My rent was the exact same as the lady who helped me. But she lived in an badly in need of paint shot gun house in a very low rent part of town. She could not have rented my house. There was not a thing either of us could do to remedy that, either.

And my neighbors sent a spokeswoman to tell me 'I paid her too much. I was ruining the n------'.

Old 03-18-2019, 10:14 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,092,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
This sounds like you think the people asking for reparations are greedy idiots.

They kind of are.

Old 03-18-2019, 10:22 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,713,823 times
Hell.....we can't even get a formal apology for slavery from congress......and we jump to reparations? That is not just putting the cart before the horse....the horse is dead.

Old 03-18-2019, 10:25 AM

24,005 posts, read 15,096,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
They kind of are.
Do any of us know what the reparations people want and why they think we should provide for it?

Old 03-18-2019, 10:28 AM

7,343 posts, read 4,372,747 times
Slavery is terrible. If only a half a million people would have killed each other 150 years ago to abolish it...

Old 03-18-2019, 10:29 AM

7,343 posts, read 4,372,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Hell.....we can't even get a formal apology for slavery from congress......and we jump to reparations? That is not just putting the cart before the horse....the horse is dead.
You don't deserve an apology.

Old 03-18-2019, 10:31 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,092,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Do any of us know what the reparations people want and why they think we should provide for it?
I really don't care what they want or think.

It's an issue that deserves no merit and attention whatsoever. None.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies