Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2019, 07:37 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,191,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Well, you are still confused as you are just giving personal "stories" as answers to public health questions involving many millions of people.

Let me try in a simpler fashion.

Given a random distribution would you prefer:

1. 200,000 Americans dying each year from Flu
or
2. 40,000 Americans dying each year from Flu

If you answer #2 you believe in public health. If you answer #1, you will likely stay very confused as you will believe in things other than science, medicine and reality.
I'll take door #2, Monty. But I still don't think parents should be forced to vaccinate their children if their better judgment tells them not to, and risk their child's future well-being. If they have to stay out of school during an outbreak, fine. Probably not a bad thing, anyway, given the state of many schools these days.

BTW, it's not necessary for you to act like a blue-nosing, know-it-all, morally superior prick.

Old 03-27-2019, 07:53 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,757,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Well, you are still confused as you are just giving personal "stories" as answers to public health questions involving many millions of people.

Let me try in a simpler fashion.

Given a random distribution would you prefer:

1. 200,000 Americans dying each year from Flu
or
2. 40,000 Americans dying each year from Flu

If you answer #2 you believe in public health. If you answer #1, you will likely stay very confused as you will believe in things other than science, medicine and reality.

You’re really just throwing random numbers around aren’t you? Here’s some information that might be of interest if you have an interest in furthering your understanding.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/faq.htm
https://www.cochrane.org/news/featur...uenza-vaccines

This thread isn’t really about the flu or flu vaccines though. It’s about a measles outbreak in NY (around 150 cases since the fall) that has led to laws being passed to ban children who have not been vaccinated from public places. No one has died in this outbreak.

Old 03-27-2019, 08:05 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,191,174 times
I did learn some new things in this thread, though. I learned about the concept of herd immunity and I also wasn't aware that no one had died in this current outbreak. I hadn't been keeping up with it, but was aware of the hysteria so I thought children were dying in numbers sufficient to cause the hysteria.

I'm not totally against vaccines, but I have the sense that there's something funky about how they're administered.

And if they come up with a vaccine against blue-nosing know-it-alls, I'm so lining up for that one.

Old 03-28-2019, 04:47 AM

43,682 posts, read 44,425,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
No, this goes beyond school. Rockland wants to attempt to keep the unvaccinated under 18 out of society. Again, no way to know this, or enforce it.

I am aware that this emergency regulation is for all of Rockland County and I am aware that schools are the only place where one can enforce it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Come at me with a needle and I'm coming hard at you with my gun.
Now, you understand why New York wants you unarmed and cannot say NO.
You are confusing two completely separate issues (The 2nd Amendment and NY State gun laws have nothing to do with vaccinations). Also FYI college/university students (of all ages) in NY State also have to prove they have had MMR vaccine. I was obligated to get one at age 30 when I returned to school to get a higher degree in NY as I had no access to my childhood vaccines information. (BTW I had mumps as a child and I am pretty sure I had been vaccinated previously for measles/german measles but I didn't have the documentation to prove it.)

Old 03-28-2019, 04:56 AM

15,534 posts, read 10,510,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/26/healt...-bn/index.html

I think this is a good step and hopefully push more parents to get their children vaccinated. What are your thoughts on this?
It's a good idea. My friends with young children don't even let their kids play with the unvaccinated.

Old 03-28-2019, 05:13 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,102,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
I'll take door #2, Monty. But I still don't think parents should be forced to vaccinate their children if their better judgment tells them not to, and risk their child's future well-being. If they have to stay out of school during an outbreak, fine. Probably not a bad thing, anyway, given the state of many schools these days.
Glad you approve of them staying home during outbreaks and what happens during other times? Can't wait till polio makes its comeback, what will these parents tell their kids then "I followed the best advice I could get from the internet?"

Old 03-28-2019, 05:16 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,881,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Yeah, there is no legal way to enforce this.

"Person A has been diagnosed with Measles. They said in the last two weeks they were at work, church, the mall, Burger King twice and to a Lakers game. We are going to need you to track everyone down that was at those places roughly at the same time and go force them to turn their medical records over to us".
You legally enforce it the way we have for years (before these outbreaks started), by making it a requirement (to show documented proof of vaccination) for school entrance. That worked well for decades. Washington State is the prime example of what can go wrong when you are lenient about allowing so many exemptions for vaccinating. They had one of the highest non-vaccination rates due to exemptions. Not sure about New York, but bottom line is states should REQUIRE vaccination with only very rare exceptions. By not vaccinating, you are impacting others!

Old 03-28-2019, 05:22 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
It's a good idea. My friends with young children don't even let their kids play with the unvaccinated.
So they ask every parent on the playground whether or not their child is vaccinated and how do they know whether they are telling the truth or not?

Old 03-28-2019, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
You legally enforce it the way we have for years (before these outbreaks started), by making it a requirement (to show documented proof of vaccination) for school entrance.

It's like constantly slamming your fingers in the car door. This is NOT about school. They can already do that.

Old 03-28-2019, 05:29 AM

As I noted earlier I am not anti-vaccine but this is all getting carried away.

Mom Ignores Doctor When Her Sick 2-Year-Old Starts Feeling Better, Child Services Send a SWAT Team

https://reason.com/blog/2019/03/27/s...am-dcs-parents
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies