Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Maryann White right about her concerns about 'leggings', as discussed below?
Yes 27 25.96%
No 77 74.04%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 07:21 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times

Advertisements

The only thing I can say is as an older person she prefers a more modest dress when in a house of worship but her statement :
“But you couldn’t help but see those blackly naked rear ends,” White said of the women wearing leggings during Mass. “I didn’t want to see them — but they were unavoidable. How much more difficult for young guys to ignore them.”

Makes me wonder if she's more concerned about dress in church or young mens ability to stay focused and bored on the priest???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2019, 07:40 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,381,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
The only thing I can say is as an older person she prefers a more modest dress when in a house of worship but her statement :
“But you couldn’t help but see those blackly naked rear ends,” White said of the women wearing leggings during Mass. “I didn’t want to see them — but they were unavoidable. How much more difficult for young guys to ignore them.”

Makes me wonder if she's more concerned about dress in church or young mens ability to stay focused and bored on the priest???

She also didn't limit the scope of her letter to what was being worn in church.

Old 04-01-2019, 07:42 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Is this the norm where some of you posters live?
I see young girls and women wearing leggings everyday and have never seen lady bits, sheer or see-through leggings. Perhaps it is location, IDK.

Old 04-01-2019, 09:43 AM

29,486 posts, read 14,650,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
Women do not have to be "modest" to be treated with respect.
You are absolutely correct. I would respect you whether you were in leggings or a business suit. Although, I'll be honest , if you are in leggings I will definitely subtlety check out your backside. Actually , I'd do that if you were wearing the suit as well.

Damn that toxic masculinity.

Old 04-01-2019, 10:07 AM

6,005 posts, read 4,788,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
You are absolutely correct. I would respect you whether you were in leggings or a business suit. Although, I'll be honest , if you are in leggings I will definitely subtlety check out your backside. Actually , I'd do that if you were wearing the suit as well.

I have a friend who is a body builder. She posted a photo of herself yesterday. She is in Aruba, rescuing stray dogs. In the photo, she just happened to be in a swimsuit, which was appropriate for being on a beach in Aruba. Most of the comments were respectful. She's doing something good to help the world, after all. People like that.
But then, the One Guy... "Hey, why don't you take those swimsuit bottoms off so I can see your tattoo?"
Yesh, toxshic mash-koo-linity. That's it right there. Buff lady wants to help save dogs. Icky guy on the internet wants to see her pu**y. He's like a turd in the punchbowl and he doesn't even realize it.

Like you said, subtlety is the key word. I don't care who looks at me and what they think. But if they start spouting off opinions at me or asking me to change something, I'm going to put on my leggings so I can really kick and stretch... and then I'm gonna kick and stretch, maaaan. Really give them something to talk about.

PS. please take my words in the lighthearted way I intend them. The dang internet seems to have ruined any kind of conversation other than the angry kind.

Old 04-01-2019, 10:16 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,945,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
I have a friend who is a body builder. She posted a photo of herself yesterday. She is in Aruba, rescuing stray dogs. In the photo, she just happened to be in a swimsuit, which was appropriate for being on a beach in Aruba. Most of the comments were respectful. She's doing something good to help the world, after all. People like that.
But then, the One Guy... "Hey, why don't you take those swimsuit bottoms off so I can see your tattoo?"
Yesh, toxshic mash-koo-linity. That's it right there. Buff lady wants to help save dogs. Icky guy on the internet wants to see her pu**y. He's like a turd in the punchbowl and he doesn't even realize it.

Like you said, subtlety is the key word. I don't care who looks at me and what they think. But if they start spouting off opinions at me or asking me to change something, I'm going to put on my leggings so I can really kick and stretch... and then I'm gonna kick and stretch, maaaan. Really give them something to talk about.

PS. please take my words in the lighthearted way I intend them. The dang internet seems to have ruined any kind of conversation other than the angry kind.
So you'd wear those skintight leggings to a corporate job interview?

Would you then sue when you didn't get the job? /facepalm/

Old 04-01-2019, 10:19 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,945,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post

Sorry, if someone showed up in skintight leggings to interview for a job, they would be treated respectfully during the interview and then the resume? Right in the trash.

Reason? Inability to display appropriate decision-making skills needed for a business environment.

If this is how they choose to 'dress up' for an interview? What do they wear on casual days?

Old 04-01-2019, 10:19 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,519,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post

Maybe that would be why she got the job?

Old 04-01-2019, 10:22 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,560,145 times
Quote:

Quote:
Sorry, if someone showed up in skintight leggings to interview for a job, they would be treated respectfully during the interview and then the resume? Right in the trash.

Reason? Inability to display appropriate decision-making skills needed for a business environment.

If this is how they choose to 'dress up' for an interview? What do they wear on casual days?
Why are you even talking about job interviews? No one is talking about job interviews. You just went there, for no reason other than to argue.

Old 04-01-2019, 10:22 AM

48,526 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:

Otherwise known as:

"Things the poster didn't say."
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies