Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 12:48 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,131,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
It was a tragic accident that has happened before but no need to blame "gun culture" as many have defended themselves using a gun.

TV public commercials on how I described above to say "go way the police are coming I have a gun" would help reduce these accidents yet anti gun groups don't support that because they would rather promote ignorance and fear on how to use a gun than promote safety on how to use one.
Most of the anti-gunners have an irrational fear of an inanimate object. They are the ones who need mental health care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2019, 12:50 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,399,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
This man was so incompetent he didn't even have the presence of mind to call through the door first. He got spooked and he fired. But we must allow him, and all the other idiots who also lack discernment or the mental capacity to handle firearms responsibly--and there are many--to own as many guns as they want. We must not infringe on their right to be incompetent idiots and kill people.

You neatly sidestep that reality because you don't want to admit it's true.

Stupid people have rights also and you are not guilty of something until you actually do something. Half the country thinks people are stupid to vote for Trump, the other half thinks it's stupid to vote for Clinton.

People get license insurance and driving tests before driving yet many go and do stupid stuff every day in their car.

The man has to live with killing his daughter and possible criminal prosecution which may land him in jail but the bill of rights is for everyone for the stupid or not until they actually do something against it and against the law.

Old 05-20-2019, 12:52 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,957,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
You came in here slinging insults, calling people snowflakes about people getting killed by guns so yeah, expect others to think that about you. Funny that instead of explaining
G yourself, you get huffy.
I simply get sick and tired of the ignorant gun grabbers looking for any excuse to take away my rights as an American citizen. If you don't like the laws and rights of this country find one that suits you.

Old 05-20-2019, 12:56 PM

35,082 posts, read 17,033,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
He shot through the door. Why wouldn’t you put the blame on the one pulling the trigger?
The gun fired by itself.

Old 05-20-2019, 12:59 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,537,070 times
Late term abortion is all.

Old 05-20-2019, 01:02 PM

4,195 posts, read 1,601,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
If you liberal snowflakes had your way we would not have any rights or freedom.
the religious right are responsible for the war on drugs and all the "rights" taken away there and it was republicans who put out the patriot act which took a significant amount of our rights...

Old 05-20-2019, 01:06 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,083,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
Every time he thinks of his daughter he will pay the price for making this grievous error the rest of his life. His tragedy has nothing to do with me or anyone else who owns a firearm. Get off that soapbox because you look ridiculous standing up there.

Poor guy. It almost makes you want to wipe a tear away. We should start a go fund him account to buy him something special to a soften his grief.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
If you have a gun in your home, it's much more likely that you or a household member will be shot than an intruder. So yes, that's the price of "freedom," I suppose.

More guns equates to more deaths. Pretty simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
I'd say I'm pro-gun. I think they're an incredibly useful tool, and I like shooting - it's fun.

I'm also in favor of gun control. I'd like to see one or all of these three things happen:
1)background checks before all gun purchases - legal private sales would have to be conducted in front of a third party capable of doing so
2)guns registered to their owners, and you are held responsible for anything done with your gun
3)a mandatory gun safety test similar to a driving test

It wouldn't stop every dummy, but it'd make a dent. 3 might have caught up this guy or caused him to learn safer gun handling.

Of course, the problem is that there are already ten bajillion random guns floating around, which make any new initiative difficult to implement.

Any new initiative will take a hundred years to clean up the scourge. But yes, we have to start somewhere and not think we can resolve the issue by next week.

I like your idea of the gun being matched to the buyer. Maybe a trigger feature where only he can fire the weapon. I also like the idea of guns being placed in ranges. The owner takes it out, takes out a certain number of number of bullets, and returns gun/shells/loaded rounds to the range. Helps to eliminate guns floating around in public.

Literally, if we start now, it will take a hundred years to round up all the hardware. But is there another choice when people are shooting at shadows through doors? Nuts.

Old 05-20-2019, 01:13 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,399,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
The gun fired by itself.
No it didn't people say that but no it never does. It is because he had a finger on the trigger and fired through a door not identifying a threat. Clearly the man was negligent.

I have had a gun held to my head, robbed at a place I worked when I was 17 years old. I can tell you fear can be overwhelming. We read stories of adrenaline taking over a person able to lift a car as the body goes into survival mode. A five pound trigger pull is nothing when survival mode and fear strikes in.

Which it is important to keep your finger off the trigger until you can confirm a threat and unless it is necessary do not go around the house try to sweep and clear it stay put and wait for help unless the intruder enters threatening you even after you have alarmed them you know they are there and you are armed.

A LED flashlight one that strobe flickers disorientating a possible intruder is a good tool also because it helps you identify the person and gives you action toward their reaction but a light if you try to sweep and clear your house will give you away which then leaves you at a disadvantage. If you have loved ones in the house you may have to secure their safety but you will be in a dangerous situation if a intruder is in your house and their IS the possibilty that you may mistake a loved one for a intruder.

Old 05-20-2019, 01:18 PM

34,235 posts, read 18,590,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Most of the anti-gunners have an irrational fear of an inanimate object. They are the ones who need mental health care.
Yes, and accidents happen, and negligence happens in all facets of life. This guy was wrong, and will be charged as he should be.

Old 05-20-2019, 01:21 PM

3,080 posts, read 3,266,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Yeah yeah, it’s always a “complicated” issue. It’s always “we need to look at this more thoroughly “, blah blah blah. Same old excuses. But hey, thoughts & prayers, right?
I'm not religious, so no prayers and the only thoughts are on coming up with a solution that doesn't villainize (or conveniently ignore) those with mental health issues and treat them like circus freaks for whom society can take rights away just so we can feel cuddly and safe. If your solution for little johnny hitting kids in his classroom with a ruler is to remove rulers from the classroom, I would offer that while your solution would indeed lower the number of ruler events, that it doesn't help johnny and it doesn't help the classroom, all it does is help those who would pat themselves on the back for "taking care of the problem". We all know that simple knee jerk solutions are always best right
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies