Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2019, 08:05 PM

4,511 posts, read 1,866,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by what'd i miss View Post
No one wants an endless flow of illegals. Its such a stupid thing to say. I garuntee you Trump loses if he keeps up that fake filthy lie.
The only person who uses flows of illegals are TRUMPS. Therein lies the origin of his audacious comment.
Lol you must have missed the Democrat debate the other day.

Bless your heart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2019, 04:16 AM

513 posts, read 541,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage98de View Post
It actually is very simple.

Reducing demand while maintaining supply will reduce prices.

You are so blinded by rage against the Republican Party that you are unable to comprehend that illegals make life more expensive for the middle and lower class. Then you and your ilk have the gall to proclaim that the cost of living is too high for the lower and middle class.

Pure, unadulterated derangement.
This.

And - the biggest exploiters of the cheap labor are the same ilk who claim to "fight" for the illegals.

Old 07-08-2019, 06:06 AM

89,038 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
The Democrats' continued push for an endless flow of illegals is the primary reason working class Americans have been hurting with stagnant wages and issues with affordable housing.

Those on the left cannot seem to wrap their minds around such a thought, and in fact don't even know that it is an issue. Trying to talk sense into them is like talking to a brick wall and I don't think they have the ability to think rationally on the issue (among others).
I have to agree with this. There's just a complete lack of critical thinking skills among those who vote Dem, and the sad part is... Dem politicians absolutely depend on those who cannot deduce the obvious consequences of embracing, encouraging, and enabling illegal immigration to win elections. They vote for Dems, which is self-sabotaging. What a shame. /smh

Old 07-08-2019, 06:23 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,674,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...=.65d2b9a175c5

From the true official source - fed:
"the average American family has yet to recover fully from the 2008 financial crisis, the Federal Reserve found"

"Boshara, of the St. Louis Fed, pointed out that credit card and auto loan delinquencies have risen this year, the opposite of what Wall Street expected in good economic times."

"In discussions with 30 Americans unable to pay all of their bills, a clear pattern emerged: Most were able to eke by until they faced an unexpected crisis such as a job loss, cancer, car trouble or storm damage.

Economists fear such precarious financial situations put many Americans at risk if there is even a mild setback in the economy, potentially setting up the next recession to be worse than anything in recent history except the Great Recession."

“We are headed toward a political crisis, if not an economic one.”

Hey, I'm doing fine.....but that was never the question here. The concern was always the "forgotten Americans" of whom it was claimed they will WIN so much they will get tired of winning. They are getting tired all right....

"As a nurse’s aide, she makes above Ohio’s $8.55-an-hour minimum wage but not much over $10" - that's in Ohio, the place where MAGA was supposed to be centered. $10 an hour......and she is getting VERY tired.
"“I’m 25, but I feel like I am in my late 30s,”"

Meanwhile, 2 Billion dollar bombers are putting on a display in DC.

Obama was POTUS for eight years since 2008, while Trump has been POTUS for only three.

Why didn't Obama "fix" this problem?

As above, when you flood the nation with illegals, it drives down wages for American citizens. Dems are the worst enemies of working people, in that their policies harm them the most. Look at the "gifts" of NAFTA and China trade policies.

Liberal politics are the enemy of the people.

Old 07-08-2019, 07:08 AM

19,809 posts, read 9,371,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Thanks.

Would be interesting to see what the Brookings Institute could do in the way of explaining why so many Americans have trouble following these three simple rules.
Reprinting part of post #300 from texan2yankee that prompted the above response:

https://www.brookings.edu/opinions/t...-middle-class/ "The Brookings Institute studied the middle class in America and identified three major responsibilities: at least finish high school, get a full-time job and wait until age 21 to get married and have children."
-------------------
It doesn't take an institution or a government study or a genius IQ to explain why this is the case. There are probably thousands of examples given in article after article, and it boils down to these three things:

1. Many teenagers are impulsive and want instant gratification. (So are many adults, of course!)

2. Many teenagers have a lack of self-esteem, and they cannot imagine themselves as being successful in the middle-class or upper-class sense.

3. Once someone makes some very bad life choices, it is often very difficult to backtrack from them.

So, combining #1 and #2 above, many young people simply don't have the self-control or the self-discipline or personal strength (confidence) to make the 'sacrifices' that are usually necessary to having a financially secure future. (For example: foregoing luxuries to save for higher education and/or a home, studying and working instead of partying, and not having sex unless she uses a virtually 100% method of birth control 100% of the time.) And then after they make bad choices, they are trapped in poverty (or close to it) for a very long time and often for the rest of their lives.

(I also speak from personal experience with some close family members -- plus, of course, I was a teenager myself, although it was a long time ago.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Also curious about that "75 percent" number given what I understand to the contrary and/or more commonly reported... Nearly 70% of Americans consider themselves middle-class. Here’s how many actually are.

https://www.google.com/search?q=popu...hrome&ie=UTF-8
Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see where the link answered the bold.

Last edited by katharsis; 07-08-2019 at 07:30 AM..

Old 07-08-2019, 08:01 AM

5,756 posts, read 3,999,962 times
Those 40% probably feel that it was free or a right or reparations or ...

Old 07-08-2019, 08:23 AM

23,563 posts, read 17,237,701 times
If every unfortunate was handed 25k a year, most would be broke in an instant.

The problem with inequality is, many will be groveling at the bottom after 'fairness' was applied.

One guy will improve his quality of life, the next guy will be no better off.

Libs play per cents when confronted with fraud and inefficiency of government programs. multiple millions of dollars lost is acceptable. Even when that lost money deprives the targeted persons of their fair share. Same attitude as a civil war general who uses human lives as cannon fodder.

Some one in the nursing field can get an RN and be employed by a pharma company in one of several jobs and make in the vicinity of 100k. even if that person signed up for Kelly scientific and farmed out as a consultant, she would be making more cash than she could ever imagine.

No effort, no reward.

Meanwhile the rest of the country is enjoying the fruits of Trump's economy. there will always be sad sacks whining about their woes and there is nothing anyone can do, other than give them a gift certificate to a year of psychiatric counseling.

Old 07-08-2019, 08:25 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,615,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
If every unfortunate was handed 25k a year, most would be broke in an instant.

The problem with inequality is, many will be groveling at the bottom after 'fairness' was applied.

One guy will improve his quality of life, the next guy will be no better off.

Libs play per cents when confronted with fraud and inefficiency of government programs. multiple millions of dollars lost is acceptable. Even when that lost money deprives the targeted persons of their fair share. Same attitude as a civil war general who uses human lives as cannon fodder.

Some one in the nursing field can get an RN and be employed by a pharma company in one of several jobs and make in the vicinity of 100k. even if that person signed up for Kelly scientific and farmed out as a consultant, she would be making more cash than she could ever imagine.

No effort, no reward.

Meanwhile the rest of the country is enjoying the fruits of Trump's economy. there will always be sad sacks whining about their woes and there is nothing anyone can do, other than give them a gift certificate to a year of psychiatric counseling.
The simple truth is that the wealthy are most often wealthy by owning assets that produce constant cashflow to them, like businesses. So the poor and middle class are the one's making the rich rich

Old 07-08-2019, 09:17 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,729,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage98de View Post
Look, you guys whine about how people supposedly cannot afford to live anymore.

Well, a huge component of ones living expenses are housing. It’s indisputable that adding 1.5 million dwellings would have a profound effect on rent prices.

You cannot vehemently defend illegals and at the same time whine about the plight of poor people. Doesn’t make any sense.
Wrong...

Not "whining." Simply addressing whether illegals are cause for the increase in cost of housing and/or living.

Look, you guys can't seem to understand even the topic of discussion!

What's "indisputable" is that general comments like yours are no less hard to understand, because simply adding 1.5 million dwellings without explaining where, at what cost and/or for whom is something like saying more water in the garden will make all the plants grow better. Not necessarily true. Right? And the more accurate argument here is to remove tenants (again with no specifics) rather than build more housing. More housing, however, is what many tend to advocate when it comes to dealing with the cost of housing in some of the more expensive areas.

Seems the one really doing the "whining" here is you. And not too well I might add!

PS: addressing "the plight of poor people" is not really the immediate topic here either, but it is part of economics. Objectively speaking that is. Are you not able to do that either?

Old 07-08-2019, 09:31 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,729,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
So says he who can't even wrap his brain around Geo-Political Strategy.

Someone who spends $1,200 on tattoos and then whines because they don't have $400 for an emergency deserves to be shamed.

All they had to do is put $400 in a bank and spend only $800 on tattoos, but they are too weak to do that and for that they deserved to be shamed.

The only people on Earth who can eliminate "poverty" are the people in "poverty."

And, to do that, the people in "poverty" just have to want it to end.

But, they don't want it to end, because their only interest is acquiring beer, drugs, tattoos, lotto tickets, silly video games and other nonsense.
Please...

I get geopolitics. It's these other notions and conspiracy theories some people tend to go on about as if they have insights no one else can recognize or understand. I can only waste my time with that sort of thing long enough to recognize a waste of time when I see one. Especially when the dialogue is long and the reference sources of information are non-existent.

Take for example the apparent assumption that all approximately 50% of Americans who struggle with a $500 emergency expense have tattoos! Again without even bothering to include any facts or links to substantiate the nonsense. Of course, but you do get an C for consistency when it comes to this sort of rationale!

Nothing but ego and the easy way to view the problem(s) of poverty so that all manner of actually DOING something to help the less fortunate, or even consider the possibilities, is summarily dismissed.

Someone is drowning? While others are thinking maybe a life vest might help, you're wasting everyone's time asking why they got in the water in the first place?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies