Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2019, 08:57 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,620,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
In New Zealand, which is generally more expensive for food than the US.

A kg of yoghurt would be around $5 ( $3:50 on sale) -that's about twenty serves. Eggs are another example of a cheap healthy food -onions. tomatoes and mushrooms are cheap, so a breakfast omelette can be a low cost start to the day.
Since some of your prices are higher than ours, I can see why in your part of the world it really isn't much more that you're paying to eat healthy meals. Here, it's quite different. People tend to fill up on carbs - the biggest bang for their buck when trying stretch a meal.

I agree with you on eggs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2019, 09:19 PM

5,479 posts, read 2,122,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Since some of your prices are higher than ours, I can see why in your part of the world it really isn't much more that you're paying to eat healthy meals. Here, it's quite different. People tend to fill up on carbs - the biggest bang for their buck when trying stretch a meal.
I agree with you on eggs.

I love eggs! I eat a lot of steak too...if you cook it at home and add broccoli or a potato it's cheaper than a drive through combo and much healthier.

Heck, I can make a nice thick juicy steak dinner with all the trimmings and even add in some red wine and it comes in at around $10.

Tonight, I'm making my own sauerkraut...$8 in cabbage should make about two or so gallons of kraut (It's been awhile so I don't remember exactly.).

Either way, it'll be enough to last me 6 or more months.

Old 10-11-2019, 09:37 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,884,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
I love eggs! I eat a lot of steak too...if you cook it at home and add broccoli or a potato it's cheaper than a drive through combo and much healthier.

Heck, I can make a nice thick juicy steak dinner with all the trimmings and even add in some red wine and it comes in at around $10.

Tonight, I'm making my own sauerkraut...$8 in cabbage should make about two or so gallons of kraut (It's been awhile so I don't remember exactly.).

Either way, it'll be enough to last me 6 or more months.
Shhhhhhh Marine you are supposed to pretend that eating at home costs more than a value meal. I have had these debates with people many times.

For about 8 bucks you can make a pot of chilimac that will feed a family of 4, 2 meals each. Yes about a buck each.. Better to buy that frozen meal at Walmart.

I honestly can't remember the last time we ate at a KFC or a McDonalds. LOL Wendy's is a guilty pleasure I had that bad in Dec. when I was home for Christmas.

These women are fat due to life style choices and genetics. Trump didn't do it to them and neither did you or I. hahahah

Racism the new excuse for everything thats wrong.

Old 10-11-2019, 09:38 PM

78,434 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Fair enough. It doesn't violate natural law.

So does this work?
No idea. I'm not one to point fingers at anybody unless they're violating the old tip of the nose rule.

Mostly the cry of fat shaming is from people that don't like how they look getting upset with those that are calling them out. Another portion of it is warranted, I mean if someone makes awful b*tchy comments then you should stand up to them but fat shaming can be a reaction that goes beyond self-defense like just being overly sensitive because yes, you're fat and you know it. (I've been pretty overweight at times but also extremely fit, stuff happens.)

That's really the crux of the situation. People being a-holes on social media etc. and some people being overly sensitive to the reality that yes, they are fat and it's unhealthy. *shrug*

Again, I don't care. I worry about myself, if someone wants to run 20 miles a day and eat nothing but tofu or ingest only large amounts of fast food and whatnot, that's not my business.

Old 10-11-2019, 09:49 PM

78,434 posts, read 60,628,324 times
For those arguing food deserts.

Here is a map of Chicago grocery stores, I picked it because I used to live there.

https://data.cityofchicago.org/Commu...2013/ce29-twzt

Supermarkets are all around the area, I'm not sure there isn't anyone in Chicago living more than 2 miles from a grocery store. I'm in roughly the same boat. The issue here would be, that if I lived in the projects would I try to walk 2 miles through them with bags of food etc? NO EFFING WAY LOL.

P.S. There are lots of counterpoints to this, public transport etc. but in reality I think if I'm walking down the street with a bag of lettuce and potatos, I'm wayyyyy less likely to get jumped than if I am carrying soda, chips and frozen waffles etc.

Old 10-11-2019, 10:32 PM

30,263 posts, read 23,746,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
It's at least as cheap to eat healthy food rather than crap food - a bag of salad and ten chicken drumsticks is around $10-$12 here and that will feed 5 people.

Oatmeal for breakfast is around 12 cents a bowl, with good quality yoghurt on top at around 39 cents a serve - no big expense there.
When I was in college, I took full time classes and I also had a job. I did not have a car, I did not have anything fancy, I did not have cable, I did not have internet or cell phone or anything of the sort. My furniture in my studio apartment was milk crates draped with towels. I had my twin bed from when I was a kid - my parents brought it over.

I paid for my school - I didn't have any money left, but I got my education.

I used to live on less than $20 a month for food. That is not a typo. When I say that it's much cheaper to eat crap food than healthy food, it's because I lived it.

New Zealand may be different than here when it comes to food prices. As an extra job that I've taken on to save up money, I do shopping for other people. That means I'm very aware of what the prices are in many different stores.

I could get a bag of salad for about $5 here. The chicken drumsticks, I'm assuming you mean from the meat aisle and not the frozen aisle, may be relatively inexpensive - probably about $3-4 for 10, roughly, but what you're forgetting is that you need something to cook it in. Like - oil. A bottle of oil here is another $3-4 and up. Granted, it will last, but that initial cost is what most people look at when they are counting their every dollar. Even if I cooked them in the oven, plain, no seasoning, (barf), you still have to put them in something or they stick to the pan.

OR

I could get nasty Top Ramen, or if splurging, nasty Cup O' Noodles for 2 weeks, and still have money left over with what I would have spent on the bag of salad, the drumsticks, and the oil to cook them in.

Salad and chicken is way healthier than overly saturated with salt Top Ramen or Cup O' Noodles.

Pasta - spaghetti, is 88 cents per box. A jar of sauce is $3-4, unless I get the store generic brand it's about $2. It would cost me $4-5 for 2 boxes of pasta and a jar of sauce. Starch and lots of sugar and salt in that sauce. Not healthy. But, it would last me a good, solid week or more before I ran out of sauce.

A bag of salad won't even last a week in the fridge without starting to go bad.

Old 10-11-2019, 10:48 PM

16,091 posts, read 10,757,764 times
False crisis not worth the hand wringing and crocodile tears and outrage. Oprah and others on TV play you all like a banjo. Why people search this stuff out just to post it on these threads is the real problem because they just amplify the stupidity and further the intended message.

Old 10-11-2019, 11:53 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,402,729 times
I wonder what they lady would think of that White TV guy, Al Bundy, seeing as how he liked to make jokes about fat ladies.

Old 10-12-2019, 03:17 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,875,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmarkblue View Post
I knew this one was a coming. First thing first. I'm not hear to fat sham, and some fat people do go on to live normal and healthy lives with weight. But complications from obesity such as Cancer, Diabetes, high blood pressure, breathing problems like asthma, and high cholesterol shortens life spans of those who have weight trouble.

At a Orpah segment for black women. An activist who is an gender studies expert explains why she is obese, and how she puts the blame on white racism and white supremacy for why black women in America are fat and over weight. I watched the video segment and it was super cringey. The woman puts blame on white supremacy and how she explains when black women experiences racism, that the matbolism changes and thus weight gain happens. I'm no fan of Trump either, but she also envokes and puts blame on the Trump era for black women on being obese or overweight aswell.

I can say that the AA community mainly those in poverty do not have the same access of healthy food, gyms, and healthcare compared to those who are average at best or those in the upper class strata. However simple health changes like 30 minutes of exercise, portion control and practicing a form of diet can improve vitality of ones own health.

I know racism is a big issue in America, and those that be want to solve race issue, however obesity affects all people. Simple healthy changes starts with the individual, and not because of Trump and White Supremacy forcing you to eat unhealthy foods.

https://youtu.be/bE9BqgztnHs
It was one person. Big deal. I get it, some people make too much over race. But it's just one person. Don't fall into the trap when this happens.

Old 10-12-2019, 03:22 AM

30,375 posts, read 19,177,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmarkblue View Post
My thing is this. In 2008, united states suffered a major economic crash. This crash resulted in millions not being able to part take in capitalism wealth building which supposed to guarantee economic protection and safety upon retirement. That crashed washed away peoples mindset. Out if the blue, you have these angry white nationalist, feminist, conscious pro blacks, mgtow social justice activist and sorts blaming one another for the ills of our society.

I can say that economic challanged that blacks face in the past ten years were not easy. I know blaming white supremacy is an easy scapegoat to recieve money from supporters, and equity from scared white illiberals. But the black American community especially the black women needs to take accountability for all the college debt, and for why they are overweight and obese. And should stop blaming white supremacy.
I'm old enough to remember when most people were fit and now most are overweight and a huge number of obese....something happened to our food chain that caused people to become huge, not sure exactly other than processed foods. We need to fix it and my guess is that the food companies know what they did and how to fix it.

As I mentioned, I figured out what I needed to do to get fit again and did it so I know what I have to do.

From a racial standpoint, you're talking mostly about cultural eating habits. In general, eating empty calories like sugared and breaded based foods are going to make you fat one day and eating nutritious foods will keep your weight in check...you do have to do some research on products that at sold as healthy and are not which are identified in The Plant Paradox.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies