Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2019, 12:59 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,711,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmarkblue View Post
Yes she also blamed trump. She noted the Trump era for why diets don't work for black women.

Oh ok....thanks for letting me know that. Again, I am not defending her obesity and the claim that it was caused by white supremacy. I am arguing that I believe, in general, that the accrued impact of racism, over the centuries, can produce increase the rate of obesity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2019, 01:15 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,711,843 times
Look.....food is comforting to many people, as well as a pleasure. Everyone seeks comfort and pleasures, but depending on ones socioeconomic stats, the array of life's potential pleasures varies. If you are rich, you have many different ways to pleasure yourselves. When you are poor....you have fewer, but they include sex and food and the most pleasurable and comforting foods are often high in calories and low in nutrition. Your body will keep craving nutrition the more you eat non nutrient rich foods. The craving just signals people to eat but people will just eat more junk because the craving is not specific and hence the person never really gets satisfied nutritionally.

Now, there is a cultural element to higher obesity in black women also. That is the fact that the black culture (black men) appreciates a full figured women, with hips, butt and curves more so than say the white culture. Black men are not that attracted to skinny women and black women know that black men like a women with a little meat on her. Now. Again, this is yet another factor that can attribute to higher rate of obesity in black women, however, I cannot say that is what is the cause of THE woman in the video obesity, just like I cannot say that white supremacy is the cause. It could be a combination of both and more or neither and more.

Only SHE really knows.

Old 10-13-2019, 01:32 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,179,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Well, it’s probably true that if white people didn’t bring her slave ancestors to America, she would probably be starving to death in Africa, so....
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy50 View Post
LOL. This.
Probably not considering most Africans aren’t starving. What a fail.

Old 10-13-2019, 03:35 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,012,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Probably not considering most Africans aren’t starving. What a fail.
Yes if you go to Western Africa, say Nigeria or Ghana, many of the women there are just as fat as American women.

Old 10-13-2019, 03:57 PM

30,640 posts, read 18,242,637 times
LAWD. What a damn mess

Here's Jesse Lee Peterson's take on the nut job:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqthaE2JhG4&t=334s

Old 10-13-2019, 08:58 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,538,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmarkblue View Post
Yes she also blamed trump. She noted the Trump era for why diets don't work for black women.

If I offer you any consolation. My girlfriend is pro black conscious and an academic. Like many of her elk is also over weight. I too also work out alot and try to be physically mentally and emotionally fit. For black women especially those in the academics. Many are over weight and obese. But yet they blame white supremacy. You pro black women types sure love white and biracial men though like me.

I've never heard a BW blaming being overweight on white people

I think that it is easy to try to take the opinions of someone on the extreme and attempt to apply that extreme opinion to the majority.

On another note, here are some great weight loss stories....not a single mention of white supremacy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rpFEAh5Vzc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9WZ3b3QfKA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KiIs-X9ka8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiqhT_7Q7Js

Old 10-13-2019, 09:57 PM

3,749 posts, read 1,444,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
LAWD. What a damn mess

Here's Jesse Lee Peterson's take on the nut job:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqthaE2JhG4&t=334s
I'm no fan of Jessie Lee Peterson. I think he is a complete right wing idiot. But I have to agree with his statement on this topic.

Old 10-14-2019, 06:56 AM

13,651 posts, read 20,783,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Oh ok....thanks for letting me know that. Again, I am not defending her obesity and the claim that it was caused by white supremacy. I am arguing that I believe, in general, that the accrued impact of racism, over the centuries, can produce increase the rate of obesity.
I always wince when the occasional White or Asian person claims, with all seriousness, that Black people as a whole are less intelligent than them.

I find it amazing when a Black person such as yourself actually AGREES with them.

You are a sad little man, Indentured Servant. Get off of the computer and make something of yourself.

Old 10-14-2019, 10:11 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,388,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
That is probably because you are looking for a DIRECT causation and not an INDIRECT causation. You are thinking too superficially. That having been said, many of you don't even believe that racism has anything to do with the socioeconomic racial inequality that exists for blacks in this society today. Of course if you can't see the accrued impact of over 300 years of racism on the black community today....you surely are not going to be able to see how racism may influence obesity in the black community..
Many obese people of all races blame their weight issues on anything and anyone but themselves.

It's easier that way.

Old 10-14-2019, 10:30 AM

19,643 posts, read 12,235,883 times
There is a Planet Fitness here located in the most diverse neighborhood in the area. It is only ten bucks a month. It is full of white people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies