Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2019, 09:38 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,711,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
The hypothesis is a tad infantalizing. I think better of you and yours, mainly via experience with you and yours.

But if YOU believe your hypothesis, then consider the ramifications. Consider carefully.

Therapy is BIG business in the US. Some of everyone is going to therapy to deal with some issues they are having.....and white people are getting such help disproportionately. Thus, why is it childlike when black people may need it or have some issues that may need to be addressed, your attempt at reverse psychology notwithstanding?

What I am focusing on is TRUTH....in other words, what effects were produced by the causes. You say I should worry about the consequence of such truths if accepted. Why? If we cannot start from the truth.....then its not a good start. Let the chips fall where they may....but that is the correct starting point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2019, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Blaming Trump or white people for her obesity is ridiculous.

This said, it looks like she made a valid point. Stress releases hormones that will prevent people from losing weight, even if they eat right. So stop being so angry all the time.

Is it a ridiculous idea that a racist society can create more stress in the population that is the brunt of racism? This is what I don't get. People seem to not have any inductive or deductive reasoning when looking at this. Does racism cause stress? Does the accrued impact, socioeconomically, from centuries of racism create more stress in the race that was the target of the racism? Deductively, if stress slows metabolism and racism causes stress.....its logical to assume that racism can slow metabolism. If A = B...and B = C....then A = C deductively.

People here are looking for a DIRECT causation.....because people do not want to address the indirect ways people are impacted by prolonged racism. In fact, people simply don't want to admit or address anyway that racism has had a negative impact on black people. People are hell bent on removing racism from having any influence on the black condition today.

Old 10-15-2019, 09:47 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,620,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Here is the thing. You cannot control for black behavior absent the condition of the impact of white racism upon blacks in this society. Thus, unless you can factor out the impact of white supremacy upon the black condition overall, what you may be noting may simply be an symptom of racial oppression.

The only controlled environment is the behavior of blacks who have not had prolonged exposure to white supremacy. That wold be Africans immigrating to America (not that there countries have not been impacted by white supremacy of colonization, however). Africans who immigrate to America do not demonstrate many of the negative behavioral things associated with African Americans and the reason being is that they have not been exposed directly to the impact of white supremacy over centuries, as have African Americans.
No, no, no. It's not on anyone other than the people who beat their women, regardless of race. Wife beaters teach their sons it's okay to beat their wives.

Stop the b.s. of white supremacy being the cause of all that is wrong in the world of black folks and take responsibility for your own damn behavior. That's the ONLY thing that will result in change.

Old 10-15-2019, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
No, no, no. It's not on anyone other than the people who beat their women, regardless of race. Wife beaters teach their sons it's okay to beat their wives.

Stop the b.s. of white supremacy being the cause of all that is wrong in the world of black folks and take responsibility for your own damn behavior. That's the ONLY thing that will result in change.

Everyone has the opportunity to control how they react.....but humans being humans, we often succumb to our impulses, regardless of race or ethnicity. There is no superior race when it comes to not succumbing to HUMAN impulses. Thus, if there is a difference in REACTIONS between the races, its mostly because there is a difference in ACTIONS impacting the races.

Old 10-15-2019, 10:04 AM

6,835 posts, read 2,402,729 times
In terms of having better access to healthy or healthier foods, one thing I will use to counter are local and regional pharmacies or grocery stores or convenience stores as you can find an assortment of healthier or healthy foods at those places!

Old 10-15-2019, 10:08 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,620,010 times
Quote:
Everyone has the opportunity to control how they react.....but humans being humans, we often succumb to our impulses, regardless of race or ethnicity. There is no superior race when it comes to not succumbing to HUMAN impulses. Thus, if there is a difference in REACTIONS between the races, its mostly because there is a difference in ACTIONS impacting the races.
I have never had the impulse to raise my hand to a woman. My father never raised his hand to my mother. His father and his grandfather never did either.

One feels impulses when they learn something is appropriate based on the behavior of the people around them. It's only when they discover that what they've learned is wrong that they have to fight their learned impulses.

People who have been raised properly feel the impulse to protect, not hurt, women.

Old 10-15-2019, 10:37 AM

3,354 posts, read 1,185,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
Do you think the psychological ramifications of which you speak should be taken into account by business and government (including the military) when encountering blacks seeking employment? Especially if said positions demand certain qualities of temperament?
Well, if all this makes them not worth hiring, what do you do with them?

Old 10-15-2019, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I have never had the impulse to raise my hand to a woman. My father never raised his hand to my mother. His father and his grandfather never did either.

One feels impulses when they learn something is appropriate based on the behavior of the people around them. It's only when they discover that what they've learned is wrong that they have to fight their learned impulses.

People who have been raised properly feel the impulse to protect, not hurt, women.

You are on to something. What did black people learn from the beatings that received as slaves? Did it teach blacks that violence was the means of control? You went back in history to seemingly link it to what has gone on through the generations. Well....for blacks what we were learning is from how white society was treating us. Maybe blacks have no problem killing blacks today partly or largely due to this society teaching blacks that black life has little value. If your theory is correct....then so is the one I just noted.

Old 10-15-2019, 11:56 AM

Did the back and forth energy die down due to the realization that racism can indeed impact things like weight in a population......or did it die down due to people thinking that its a lost cause arguing a dissent against that hypothesis? If its proven, in studies, that stress is linked to lowered metabolism, and it stands to reason that racism creates stress in populations it is practiced upon, then indirectly racism lowers metabolism and can contribute to an oppressed groups being overweight relative to non oppressed groups (or groups oppressed to a smaller degree or kind). This seems like a no-brainer to me.

Now...again....I never listened to the video. Maybe this women knew of the research and studies and was just repeating it without knowing how to make a scholarly argument, and therefore came across sounding absurd. Let it be noted, however, that people seek to discredit any and all issues among blacks from being related to racism.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 10-15-2019 at 12:08 PM..

Old 10-15-2019, 12:12 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,572,254 times
Quote:
Did the back and forth energy die down due to the realization that racism can indeed impact things like weight in a population......or did it die down due to people thinking that its a lost cause arguing a dissent against that hypothesis?
neither. it died down because everyone eventually tires of arguing with a victimhood-seeking brick wall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies