Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2019, 10:56 PM

16,086 posts, read 10,747,693 times

Advertisements

They get an asterisk on their diploma

Old 11-17-2019, 11:12 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
If they’re gonna teach religion or religious studies in school, you may as well do it right and demand SOME rigor from the students. It only makes sense.

I hate all religions with a passion, but I’m not gonna be a knuckledragging anti-intellectual fool about it. If you’re gonna study it, learn it and learn it right by passing the tests with the right answers. Let’s not dumb down education.

Old 11-17-2019, 11:22 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,036,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
OK when exactly has this happened?
I am waiting for his response.

And to the OP, if you find your feelings oppressed by your parents and religion, you should leave the religion instead of insulting the other followers. You think you can change the way how other people think about religion?

Gain some new world experiences, meet new people and move on. Did you move to Houston yet??

Last edited by shanv3; 11-18-2019 at 12:33 AM..

Old 11-18-2019, 11:46 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,063,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
I agree with your opinion, but I read through that Ohio document and did not see where it explicitly states that a student can give wrong answers based on religion. "..shall not punish or reward a student based on the religious content of the student's work." I take this to mean, for example, if a student draws an angel in art class he should not be penalized because of the religious nature of the work. But if asked in science class how the various species came to be, and the student replies with an answer from Genesis, the student should fail, but NOT because of the religious nature of his answer but because it is wrong from a scientific perspective and this is a science class.
I think the fact that it's so vague clearly opens the door for not being able to call a religious-based answer incorrect, because that would be considered punishment of grades based on religious content in a student's work. I suspect it was written this vaguely so that it could be interpreted in all sorts of ways that explicitly coddle religious views in public schools.

Old 11-18-2019, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Evolution is a theory. It has not been proven. It can not be the “correct” answer.
It's only a "theory" if you don't understand what scientific theories are. They are not the same as a belief or faith. For all intents and purposes, evolution is an established fact.

Old 11-18-2019, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
What observations? A bird's beak? That doesn't prove that a species "evolved" into another species. The birds weren't cats before, they've always been birds.

Please point out where we have seen one species turn into another species?

For those who keep blabbering on about how science works, they should understand the simple fact that it must be observable AND repeatable.
Have you ever had a flu shot? If you have, you have already endorsed the idea of evolution. The flu virus adapts and changes every single year, which is just a faster version of the same process. Some evolution deniers like to debate macro vs. micro evolution, but it's all the same thing. We are just able to see the flu virus change, while most evolution occurs over very long periods of time and not directly observable. That's why we use the fossil record to fill in the gaps of evolutionary chains.

Old 11-18-2019, 12:00 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,400,677 times
It depends on the question and the realm of science. A devout Catholic writing "I don't believe that man spawned from apes" in response to a human evolution-related question is not quite the same as that devout Catholic writing an answer in agreement with the following: a question relating how the Earth's climate has changed over our planet's long history.

Old 11-18-2019, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
It's the same thing.

If you want to teach that biology doesn't exist ... you have to let all ride.

LGBT opened the door to this.
BS. Where are LGBT saying that schools have to teach that boys are girls and girls are boys? This seems like you are intentionally misrepresenting a position that pushes for bare minimum equality and decent treatment of those people who are actually transgender. There is no push by the LGBT community or anyone else that says that kids who aren't tg are taught that they are. This is fear mongering at its worst.

Old 11-18-2019, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Absolutely. And religion was subsequently banned from schools.

HOWEVER: LGBT anti-science rhetoric being included in school curriculums has opened the doors for other groups to push their own anti-science rhetoric into the classroom.

Congratulations!!! You "won!!!" /faceplant/

PS. I don't consider it a "gay right" to FORCE biology teachers to say 'girls can be boys' and 'boys can be girls.' YMMV.
Religion is not banned from schools. This is another lie. Students are allowed to pray, etc. Public schools are simply not allowed to endorse or push any specific religion, or teach any specific religion. Public dollars should not be going to endorsing faith-based viewpoints when there are so many. Students are still allowed personal expression, however. Creationism, and we're all talking about the Christian version, would be an endorsement, and frankly, an unscientific view.

Old 11-18-2019, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Right, I don't necessarily see evolution and creation, or at least God, as mutually exclusive.
Maybe not, but we have plenty of evidence that evolution occurs. We have no evidence that God or any higher power is the mechanism behind evolution. So why should that be taught?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies