Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2019, 12:16 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,879,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Maybe not, but we have plenty of evidence that evolution occurs. We have no evidence that God or any higher power is the mechanism behind evolution. So why should that be taught?
I didn't say it should be taught in a biological science are similar course ? But could be mentioned in a social studies course.

Old 11-18-2019, 12:16 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,071,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Statistics? Some of the worst and most destructive people were not religious, Hitler, Stalin, Mao etc.
Donald Trump...

Old 11-18-2019, 12:19 PM

Quote:
I didn't say it should be taught in a biological science are similar course ? But could be mentioned in a social studies course.
Not sure it belongs in social studies either. Maybe comparative religion or literature since it's the Bible, but those types of classes don't tend to exist outside of universities and are therefore electives.

Old 11-18-2019, 12:25 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,879,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Not sure it belongs in social studies either. Maybe comparative religion or literature since it's the Bible, but those types of classes don't tend to exist outside of universities and are therefore electives.
I'm not against just teaching strictly the "3 Rs", but still schools substitute a lot of pseudo-religious-moral stuff for another. There is a lot of history and social studies, civics and some political science taught in primary school. And from what I hear ,teaching, even promoting LGBT and other leftist social, political causes.

Old 11-18-2019, 12:33 PM

Quote:
I'm not against just teaching strictly the "3 Rs", but still schools substitute a lot of pseudo-religious-moral stuff for another. There is a lot of history and social studies, civics and some political science taught in primary school. And from what I hear ,teaching, even promoting LGBT and other leftist social, political causes.
What elementary schools are teaching things like political science? The closest I could imagine, given that I actually took such a class, was a general "Government" class in high school. I don't recall it being political, but more just about teaching the basics on government functions, branches, the Constitution, etc.

I suspect you are equating "leftist social political causes" with teaching kids to treat everyone with basic decency, as with LGBT. If conservatives take issue with that, they are free to find a private school or home school their kids and raise them to dislike people different than they are. Frankly, it shouldn't even be a public school's job to be a good parent, but there sure are a hell of a lot of awful people out there with children.

Old 11-18-2019, 03:32 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,099,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
thing is, one side sees creation as absolute, the other side sees evolution as absolute, that one must exist over the other. but my opinion is that both can exist side by side.
The problem is not that they "both can exist side by side", they do in fact depending on your culture their are other views that may be in the mix. The issue is that certain religious groups want their kids exempt from learning evolution or they want their bible based views (regardless what they call it) taught in the schools.

Its not the schools place to teach any faiths views the kids are receiving that view exclusively from Sunday School or other forms of religious instruction. Evolution is the accepted theory for most people and is taught as part of the science curriculum, its a lesson. When they are tested it is to see what knowledge they learned on a subject as taught by the teacher, they are not required to accept any of it but they must answer questions based on how it was taught.

There are fundamental religious groups that view any view but theirs as being a corruption and appear scared to death that these kids might think for themselves if a conflicting view is provided. If they want to control ever aspect of what these kids hear then home school or send them to a church run school, i'm not paying to teach their views with my taxes.

Old 11-18-2019, 03:40 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,280,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
If we're going to have public schools, they should teach modern science. Young-earth creationism, from an intellectual perspective, is really no different from flat-earthism. It's hard to believe it's 2019 and we still haven't moved past this yet. If parents want to shelter their kids from science and the modern world, they can send their kids to private Christian school.
When I was in high school and we got to evolution, the school sent information home with all of us. If the parents objected for religious reasons, they could have their child opt out.

We had one classmate that had his parents object. We were taught evolution and he was set over in another part of the classroom and given different work. That seemed to work, maybe they could do the same now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies