Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe race relations are getting worse and we are moving toward racial separatism?
Yes 99 43.42%
No 129 56.58%
Voters: 228. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2019, 06:37 AM

19,807 posts, read 9,367,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I think race relations have greatly improved but we still have a ways to go. I think we are more deeply divided by politics and culture these days.
I completely agree. In the workplace today, I think that almost everyone gets along with their immediate co-workers, no matter what their ancestry or skin color is, as long as they do their jobs well. That is because they are all more or less on the same "level" regarding skills, education, and income. I definitely agree that there is more of a socioeconomic class divide than a racial divide.

I think the only time people "go off" about people of other ancestries is if they are talking about other cultures that are mostly different from their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2019, 06:49 AM

15,074 posts, read 10,105,001 times
Unless you are living life through a TV, race relations are improving. It may take a step back here and there, but in general they are improving. People need to look at the progress made over the decades, not just during a single administration tenure.

Old 12-18-2019, 07:07 AM

62,965 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Unless you are living life through a TV, race relations are improving. It may take a step back here and there, but in general they are improving. People need to look at the progress made over the decades, not just during a single administration tenure.
I think we are getting past race but IMO we will always be divided by politics and culture. It seems to be accelerating also. We are more divided by those two things than we ever have been.

Old 12-18-2019, 07:19 AM

15,074 posts, read 10,105,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I think we are getting past race but IMO we will always be divided by politics and culture. It seems to be accelerating also. We are more divided by those two things than we ever have been.
I would agree with politics being divided. I actually want it to be divided. We cherish and uphold individual freedoms. With that comes diversity of views/opinions which is natural.

Now governments can handle this division in one or two manners.

* Oppression and conformity through force... either through authoritarian rule or guise of democracy for which only one group makes the decisions for everyone.
* Compromise to find a grey area that can bring people together on a particular issue or issues.

Division isn't so much the problem. The issue is the lack and unwillingness to compromise and reach mutual understandings. Way too many people are firmly entrenched in the idea that compromise is a weakness. Compromise is hard work... It is a strength. Unfortunately people (politicians included) are not willing to take on that hard work.

As for culture, I am also seeing progress on that front. At least in the areas I've lived were there is plenty of diversity (ooo that ugly word that some people find), people for the most part respect each others culture. After a generation or two of American born children, they grow up to learn how to integrate our culture with that of their ancestors or perhaps completely adopt the idea of being American (like me).

I say this from a person who grew up in both minority neighborhoods as well as white majority neighborhoods as a first generation American born (and eldest) in my family. I am also in an interracial relationship with children of mix races. There was a time that I didn't think anyone would accept us and my children (there are still areas that don't.. I'm ok with that). I still recall being confronted by my FIL (RIP) that he thought our marriage was a mistake because of the hardships we will put our mixed culture/racial children through. Yeh.. he was a SOB but I accept he is a product of his time... a clear indicator of progress.

I am happy to say my FIL is wrong. My children are doing just fine (even in a majority white neighborhood)... plenty of friends and acceptance from people of all walks of life, cultures, and ethnicities.

Last edited by usayit; 12-18-2019 at 07:31 AM..

Old 12-18-2019, 07:39 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,090,187 times
Quote:
I would agree with politics being divided. I actually want it to be divided. We cherish and uphold individual freedoms. With that comes diversity of views/opinions which is natural.

* Oppression and conformity through force... either through authoritarian rule or guise of democracy for which only one group makes the decisions for everyone.
* Compromise to find a grey area that can bring people together on a particular issue or issues.

Division isn't so much the problem. The issue is the lack and unwillingness to compromise and reach mutual understandings. Way too many people are firmly entrenched in the idea that compromise is a weakness. Compromise is hard work... It is a strength. Unfortunately people (politicians included) are not willing to take on that hard work.

As for culture, I am also seeing progress on that front. At least in the areas I've lived were there is plenty of diversity (ooo that ugly word that some people find), people for the most part respect each others culture. After a generation or two of American born children, they grow up to learn how to integrate our culture with that of their ancestors or perhaps completely adopt the idea of being American (like me).

I say this from a person who grew up in both minority neighborhoods as well as white majority neighborhoods as a first generation American born (and eldest) in my family. I am also in an interracial relationship with children of mix races. There was a time that I didn't think anyone would accept us and my children (there are still areas that don't.. I'm ok with that). I still recall being confronted by my FIL (RIP) that he thought our marriage was a mistake because of the hardships we will put our mixed culture/racial children through. Yeh.. he was a SOB but I accept he is a product of his time... a clear indicator of progress.

I am happy to say my FIL is wrong. My children are doing just fine (even in a majority white neighborhood)... plenty of friends and acceptance from people of all walks of life, cultures, and ethnicities.
The Left has completely destroyed the conservative/Right political structure via inviting in effectively 50+ MILLION non-Anglo/Left wing voters since the 1965 Immigration Act.

They rigged the system forevermore using flat-out lies and manipulation. They have committed such an egregious, traitorous act against Anglos that I hope they burn in Hell for the treason and hatred they have inflicted on a once-fine nation.

Old 12-18-2019, 07:44 AM

17,344 posts, read 11,285,635 times
I believe there needs to be a sub forum here regarding anything to do with race since so many people are so obsessed with it.

Old 12-18-2019, 08:30 AM

62,965 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:

I mostly disagree with you and here's why. Too much division along political and cultural lines (which is what I am seeing today) does nothing to unite us it just causes conflicts. We can't even agree on the basics anymore. Far too many "immigrants" aren't assimilating into our society today because too many are coming too fast with a attitude unlike in the past that they are going to retain their native cultures and languages and ours takes second place to theirs. That's division not assimilation.

I have never seen us so divided politically and socially either. As I said we can't even agree on the basics anymore. Things that were totally tabu in the past are the norm today and I don't see those things as a positive either. I have never seen so much hatred along political lines like I am seeing today either. This forum is a good example of it and in here we at least have to remain somewhat respectful. Out in public not so much.

Old 12-18-2019, 08:49 AM

3,606 posts, read 1,659,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I believe there needs to be a sub forum here regarding anything to do with race since so many people are so obsessed with it.

This...Unfortunately will always be some scapegoating and trying to cause racial division even as relations are slowly getting better without any constructive solutions.

Old 12-18-2019, 09:22 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,359,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I think the only time people "go off" about people of other ancestries is if they are talking about other cultures that are mostly different from their own.
Ironically, you just addressed one of the posters on the forum who incessantly gets upset at other people speaking Spanish in a private conversation among themselves, and tends to stereotype or broadbrush Latinos as mostly illegal immigrants.

Old 12-18-2019, 09:29 AM

19,807 posts, read 9,367,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Ironically, you just addressed one of the posters on the forum who incessantly gets upset at other people speaking Spanish in a private conversation among themselves, and tends to stereotype or broadbrush Latinos as mostly illegal immigrants.
I'm not disputing that, but I don't think that contradicts what we said about differences in cultures sometimes causing problems.

Btw, I lived in a SoCal community from 1963-1986 that had many people whose parents were born in Mexico, and it seemed to me that there was a big difference in their culture compared to those Hispanics/Latinos whose ancestors had lived in what is now the U.S. for many generations.

Last edited by katharsis; 12-18-2019 at 09:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies