Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2020, 10:05 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,503,289 times

Advertisements

The governor's order is illegal under a state statute on the subject: https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/...tion44-146.15/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2020, 10:11 AM

5,067 posts, read 1,667,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
Notice how quickly that story went away once he started carrying out the lefts agenda?

He didn't get the pressure to resign like any Republication would have....their full hypocrisy on display like usual.

Old 01-16-2020, 10:31 AM

50,316 posts, read 47,069,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
(sigh) Another person who has swallowed the myth of the "assault" rifle. A couple other posters here have used this as well. Someone found a statement by some "trauma doctor" where this medical professional stated that wounds from bullets fired by an AR 15 were like 10 times worse than any other firearm.

So there is this belief now that an AR somehow magically increases the destructive capabilities of ammunition. This due to its "military design." Or its ability to use military type ammunition.

However the FACT of the matter is that an AR is no more or less capable than any 223/5.56 rifle, and "military " ammunition is the LEAST lethal and destructive ammunition that can be used.

Military ammunition is full metal jacket. Non expanding. It is by design made to just punch clean holes. The "tumbling bullet" is also a myth. It is not by design going to tumble.

The latter effect was a tendency for fired rounds to keyhole due to improper twist rates of barrels in early M 16 rifles. It was an unintended feature and caused early rifles to be horribly inaccurate at even short ranges.

Early carbine M 16s did this a lot due to barrel whip. A friend of mine had an early Colt CAR. That POS would keyhole targets with almost every round. If you could hit the target. The thing was pressed to put a round on paper at 50 yards.

The truth is the AR 15/M 16 is one of the most anemic rifles ever fielded as a primary battle rifle. In a nutshell. At any rate, moving along...this demonstration in VA rather spooks me.

I fully support the reason for it, but I do not want to see my fellow firearms rights advocates give that insane governor and legislature a reason to unleash force. I firmly believe that is the governor's intention. An excuse to flex state muscle. Armed with all the lies about guns and gun owners that are circulating he wants to see violent confrontation.

Then he can say SEE.. I told you so! If things get out of hand which they very well could it will prove the confiscation advocates case. Regardless of who fires first.

I'm just as angry and fed up with this gun ban nonsense as everyone else...but I do NOT want a shooting war. I have zero desire to have to aim my weapons at anyone. I dont think its come to that yet. But the torch is near the powder keg.

We firearms owners need to show that we are not nutcases. That we have just as much or more intelligence and education in our ranks as the far leftist crowd.

The truth of it is WE dont want shots fired . It's the VA governor who wants that. Not us. If shooting starts at this rally an armed citizenry will be over. It will be blamed on the gun owners whether or not the first shots fired came from the state.

The governor knows this. He wants this. It would cement his absolute power. And federal troops would probably back him up. This is very volatile. It spooks me. The governor tipped his hand with this state of emergency nonsense.

I dont wish to see him get what he wants.

A projectile that is fired and unstable from the wrong twist will have the trajectory of a pitchers curve ball and a range around 30 feet before it whistles off to the side of any intended target downrange.

Old 01-16-2020, 11:00 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,635,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post
Nonsense, citizens owned FAR more than standard issue infantry small arms, they owned the equivalent of fully functional battleships and tanks. It was for considerably more than just small arms, but we've allowed the government to erode the 2nd Amendment to the point where they are even trying to take those away.
This is true. Well up into the 20th century there was shooting going on twixt armed citizen militias clashing with criminals and gun thugs hired by big money interests too.

Big money interests that could call on federal troop support as well. But there was never any widely organized and supported agenda of disarmament of citizens like there is now.

As to heavy weapons, artillery and such, citizen militias have not had these in large proportion since the War Between the States. But it wasnt prohibited either like much is now.

It's still not prohibited but the expense and licensing process is such that it's not common to see such weapons in private ownership. Traditionally the citizens have had the exact same small arms as the military.

From the Revolution till 1938 this was the case. Fully automatic weapons were heavily restricted for "public safety " because of their use by criminals during Prohibition. Public safety has been the basis for every government gun law and restriction since.

And criminals still have easy access to fully auto and destructive devices and materials. All the laws and restrictions did was take these things from non criminals. Such as legitimate citizen militias.

These days and for some time we have been limited to semi auto only small arms. The M 14 and 16 saw the big change between military and private primary rifle function. Up till these rifles became standard citizens had the exact rifles the military had.

And now under public safety even semi auto is under attack for civilian owners. The march towards citizen disarmament moves on. We could end up just like Europe and the UK if the gun ban bunch has their way.

Old 01-16-2020, 11:04 AM

50,316 posts, read 47,069,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyVW55 View Post
Yeah, I mean, what could possibly go wrong? There's a gun rights rally and people from all over the country who are angry are coming with their guns.

First off, this is Virginia's vote. It's a state issue. People from West Virginia, for example? STAY home. Let Virginia residents say what they want to say, it's not a national issue. Second, you don't need to "carry" to come to a rally and be heard or protest.

There's too much volatility and anger on both sides for this issue. I think it's wise to keep the guns off the capital grounds. They need to do whatever they can do to minimize danger during this rally.
Announcing the entire area a gun free zone, which it won't be, will only give some nut job the idea that it actually is. But it's not. Almost all public shootings happen in gun free zones.

Old 01-16-2020, 11:09 AM

20,757 posts, read 8,583,738 times
Did the governor dress up like Sammy Davis Jr to make this announcement?

I agree that Dems shoudn't be allowed to own guns. They are too emotionally deranged.

Old 01-16-2020, 11:22 AM

89,029 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Announcing the entire area a gun free zone, which it won't be, will only give some nut job the idea that it actually is. But it's not. Almost all public shootings happen in gun free zones.
Exactly. WHAT do people NOT understand about that?!? /smh

Old 01-16-2020, 11:33 AM

13,962 posts, read 5,628,343 times
I wish all the folks planning on showing up Monday with their guns would take my advice, make a buying run on every FLGS in the state, and show up Monday with receipts for all the weapons and ammo hey purchased in Northam's honor. No guns, just little slips of paper signifying just how serious they all are about resisting whatever comes next. Imagine the interviews:

Reporter: so are you here as a show of force that is meant to intimidate governor Northam?

Smart 2A Advocate: Oh heck no. I am here to show Governor Northam the receipts for all the guns, ammunition and accessories I just purchased in honor of his proposals for tyranny. I was on te fence about the .50 cal BMG, and my wife was all 'heck no, we are not spending $8k on a rifle', but thanks to the governor's nonsense, she not only said go buy that sucker, but let's get Notham's name engraved on the receiver, as a tribute and thank you for reminding us of our natural rights. Shout out to my boy Northam for getting my wife on board with my buying spree!

Old 01-16-2020, 11:35 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,875,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
If the NRA and politicians don't support common sense gun control laws, expect more of this!

I keep warning the gun nuts that if they don't bring common sense gun control measures to the table, circumstances will eventually dictate extreme gun control measures.
Common sense gun control laws are not something you should be discussing since you have little knowledge on this.

The only nuts are those who think government will protect them. Nutty like a child.

Old 01-16-2020, 11:54 AM

7,420 posts, read 2,710,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyVW55 View Post
Yeah, I mean, what could possibly go wrong? There's a gun rights rally and people from all over the country who are angry are coming with their guns.

First off, this is Virginia's vote. It's a state issue. People from West Virginia, for example? STAY home. Let Virginia residents say what they want to say, it's not a national issue. Second, you don't need to "carry" to come to a rally and be heard or protest.

There's too much volatility and anger on both sides for this issue. I think it's wise to keep the guns off the capital grounds. They need to do whatever they can do to minimize danger during this rally.
^^^IMHO, this is a wonderfully wise post. Well stated.

Virginians overwhelmingly support background checks and red flag laws, and gun extremists are in the minority. Gun safety was the number one issue for voters in Virginia, and in November both chambers flipped to gun sense majorities — even in the NRA’s own backyard. And just this week, new polling by the Center for Public Policy at the L. Douglas Wilder School of Government and Public Affairs at Virginia Commonwealth University continued to show that a bipartisan majority of Virginians favor gun safety laws, with large majorities supporting background checks and red flag laws.

Gun extremists and many out-of-state militia groups decided to descend on the Virginia General Assembly, on January 20th hoping to intimidate lawmakers into rejecting the democratic will of the people of Virginia who, by wide margins, want (and voted for champions of) common-sense gun safety laws. These protesters and out of state activists planned to strap on their weapons and ammunition and parade around the Capitol. Credible threats have been received.

Recently a few counties that are home to myriad gun extremists and some Virginia militias adopted resolutions claiming they will not follow any new gun laws that the recently elected Virginia Assembly passes in the upcoming session. They are calling themselves 2nd Amendment Sanctuaries. These resolutions have been deemed lawless and dangerous and hold no legal weight. Policy experts, state attorneys general, and law enforcement alike agree that they undermine law enforcement, and create a dangerous environment for people who may hurt themselves or others.

In the wake of Charlottesville, where “a day of volatile street-fighting ended with a white supremacist plowing a car into a crowd of counter-protesters,” Virginia officials, legal experts, civil rights leaders, and leading editorial boards are worried that January 20th will turn into another violent, hate-fueled disaster. According to Alex Friedfeld, a researcher at the Anti-Defamation League, “White supremacist ‘accelerationists’ have seized on the dispute between the few counties/minority extremists and the gun safety laws in Virginia as the potential beginning of a civil war that will destroy the United States and allow them to build a white nation in its ruins.”

The Georgetown Law’s Institute for Constitutional Advocacy and Protection state these resolutions aren't just dangerous but are "lawless and apparently run counter to the Constitution." These lawless resolutions have "spurred extremists who want to stand up with local militias to engage in armed rebellion against the state."

The NRA put out a formal statement supporting the Lawless County resolutions, and former NRA TV personalities Cam Edwards and Antonia Okafor are listed as speakers at the rally. The NRA has taken out billboards throughout Virginia ominously and baselessly warning of coming “confiscation” of firearms.

For decades the NRA has been pushing overheated rhetoric about the second amendment protecting citizens right to rise up against the government.

In light of all of the above, it makes a great deal of sense to me, that Governor Northam is taking precautions to protect all of his citizens and the welfare of the public with the emergency declaration.

Don't feel so special all you gun toting and macho weapon aficionados who feel threatened by public safety directives.
The ban on weapons include firearms, sticks, torches, bats, shields, helmets and more. Trying to prevent another Charlottesville is a "bad" thing?

Last edited by corpgypsy; 01-16-2020 at 12:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies