Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2020, 05:19 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,128,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Close up shotgun blasts make big holes.
The 223 round doesn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2020, 05:24 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
I spent 13 months in Vietnam. I had some of my unit drop beside me. I shot some on the other side. I agree with what you say. We were using the M 16, most of them were using Chinese versions of other rifles. None had big holes in them. Some ammo did tumble but that was because of a defect in the 16. That tumble decreased velocity and accuracy.
Newer ammo is much improved. As you probably know, the tumbling and fragmentation is not designed to happen until the projectile enters the human being.

There is no feature or defect that I am aware of that makes the bullet current tumble on the way to the target. That is why the DC shooter (for example) was able to fire from so far away and kill with one shot. The Vegas shooter did the same thing.

According to recent studies, mortality from civilian gunshot wounds (here) is actually increasing - that is, victims are MORE likely to die. Why? Well, since the NRA shut down any research on the issue, the facts available make the best guess to be that the weapons and ammo have improved.

That's all good and fine for the military. Maybe even OK for LE.

But we are talking about regular men, women and children. They react differently to being shot then highly conditioned people in their late teens.

Old 01-16-2020, 05:45 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,635,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
More of the same BS.....

OF COURSE if you fire the same projectile from a similar length of barrel with similar rifling the effect will be similar.

No one denies this.

AND, of course it was designed for light weight.....so a solider could carry and fire more rounds without as heavy of a load.

But the projectile itself is designed specifically to do harm to the human body in certain ways. Here is just one profile of what a nurse or doc would be dealing with inside a human being:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5.56×...ballistics.gif

The initial cavity is about 30 x 15/20 cm or 10" by 6". Note the size of the bullet in relation to the damage done.

The Human body is a delicate thing. One small nick of a blood vessel or bowel is enough to kill....slowly and painfully. Carving baseball size cavities at high speed inside us is just not a good thing.

It's not a "beat your chest" thing of who knows the most about how much damage is done. That was well proven in Las Vegas and in many other shootings.

The really simple situation here is that with a bolt action rifle the Las Vegas and Pulse and some other shootings would have done vastly less damage. Another consideration is the legality or quasi-legality and need for certain ammo "flavors".

In any case, this thread is about Public Safety and I'd support the banning of large knives, swords, nightsticks and other weapons in a protest at a Government (and many other) facilities. Most people would support them same.

Whether your member......ship....or your bullet or arsenal is bigger or smaller than mine or a Neo-Nazis is not the point. Women, children and government officials and the Press and many others will be there unarmed and to allow those Neo-Nazis and other radicals to parade around with semi-auto rifles or even pistols is nuts.

Any gun nut who is experiencing withdraw can go to a range nearby and have fun.
Ummm...what? You are actually claiming that the ammunition made for I'm assuming the AR15/M16 is somehow designed for more tissue damage? It's not. The ammunition the military uses is not engineered in any such way. Never has been.

In soft tissue it will make a through and through wound just like any solid jacket bullet. It does NOT "tumble" by design. That is a complete falsehood.

And I'm hardly thumping my chest or advocating for the carrying of weapons at the pending rally. Quite the opposite if you have seen my earlier posts. And nowhere have I made any comments comparing size of gun collections.

Back it down a couple grand. Your taching close to redline.

Old 01-16-2020, 05:46 PM

78,432 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Quote:
Newer ammo is much improved. As you probably know, the tumbling and fragmentation is not designed to happen until the projectile enters the human being.

There is no feature or defect that I am aware of that makes the bullet current tumble on the way to the target. That is why the DC shooter (for example) was able to fire from so far away and kill with one shot. The Vegas shooter did the same thing.

According to recent studies, mortality from civilian gunshot wounds (here) is actually increasing - that is, victims are MORE likely to die. Why? Well, since the NRA shut down any research on the issue, the facts available make the best guess to be that the weapons and ammo have improved.

But we are talking about regular men, women and children. They react differently to being shot then highly conditioned people in their late teens.
Ok, time to do a little snopes work here.

1) You claimed but didn't source an increasing gun shot fatality rate. Gun shot fatality rate is not increasing nor decreasing.
https://www.newsweek.com/gun-data-study-628651

2) The NRA shut down any research on the issue? Then how did all the studies cited in my link get conducted?

P.S. Please note that I linked to an article that is clearly not pro-gun by any stretch of the imagination.

Old 01-16-2020, 06:00 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,128,243 times
Quote:

corpgypsy claimed that the 223 made a 6" x 10" hole. Anyone who has ever shot anything like that knows that is not true.

Old 01-16-2020, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Ok, time to do a little snopes work here.

1) You claimed but didn't source an increasing gun shot fatality rate. Gun shot fatality rate is not increasing nor decreasing.
https://www.newsweek.com/gun-data-study-628651

2) The NRA shut down any research on the issue? Then how did all the studies cited in my link get conducted?

P.S. Please note that I linked to an article that is clearly not pro-gun by any stretch of the imagination.
There is NO source anywhere other than sensationalist anti firearms postulations that will back up these wild claims of ammunition performance being put out.

Its utterly ridiculous. Ammunition made for the AR/M16 does not in any way do what is being claimed. "Fragmentation and tumbling" in the human body? Not now or ever has there been any such bullet even requested by the military.

For one it would be a violation of the Hauge Accords and this breaking international law. The military has adopted a heavier bullet weight of 77 grains. But it's still plain old ball ammo.

Nothing special about it. What a load of reeking bilge. (sigh) On a recent range trip my buddy and I set up 4 bowling pins. 2 at 50 yards and 2 at 100. First up I shot each pin with 62 gr M855 from my AR.

They didnt even twitch. Not even a little wiggle. They stayed firmly on the 6 inch x 6 inch platforms on the stands. Each one was hit dead center and the entry and exit holes were extremely hard to even see. In and out completely clean.

Hitting them with 150 gr 308 ball had the same result. Through and through so fast the pini s never moved. Hardly "Fragmentation and tumbling." effects.

Last edited by NVplumber; 01-16-2020 at 06:37 PM..

Old 01-16-2020, 06:38 PM

89,029 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Ban guns on capitol grounds. No need for those protesters to have them.
To repeat, for those slow on the uptake...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Almost all public shootings happen in gun free zones.

Old 01-16-2020, 06:52 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,376,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
To repeat, for those slow on the uptake...
Doesn’t matter, an angry gun carrying crowd can be very dangerous. Besides, this event will probably draw some dangerous armed people from out-of-town.

Your “right to carry” a gun does not trump someone else’s right to live.

Old 01-16-2020, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Doesn’t matter, an angry gun carrying crowd can be very dangerous. Besides, this event will probably draw some dangerous armed people from out-of-town.

Your “right to carry” a gun does not trump someone else’s right to live.
I do agree that participants in this event should not do so armed. Maybe for different reasons but I still feel that way. Organizers and participants should also police their own ranks. Making it known in no uncertain terms that Hitler humpers and their ilk are not welcome.

To my thinking there is no future in escalating things by showing up overtly armed. Things are tense enough.

Old 01-16-2020, 07:02 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times
For people who've been looking for the chatter related to his event, her it is:

Quote:
Extremists have used 4chan to mobilize and threaten violence over gun safety legislation in Virginia
https://www.mediamatters.org/4chan/e...ty-legislation

And Antifa will be siding with them:

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/a...es-in-virginia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies