Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2020, 06:02 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyVW55 View Post
I don't think the Governor is concerned about Virginia citizens. There was a gun rally just last week sponsored by the NRA that did not have a gun ban and, for some reason, did not attract national attention. It was small, quiet, and peaceful.

There have been credible threats from out of state extremist organizations who have posted all sorts of threatening rhetoric that are organizing to come to this thing. In fact, some suspected extremists were arrested in Maryland the other day and there is evidence to indicate they were specifically organizing to come to the Virginia rally to start trouble. All from out of state, to include a few illegal immigrants that we helping to go along for the ride.
The Democrat Governor is playing politics pandering to the counties that voted Blue (The part of NOVA that sits close to DC). The rest of the state was Red. His gun range bill afaik only affects the NRA range. The gun rally at the Capitol last month was also small (link posted somewhere in this thread) and it didn't attract anything either. The only reason this rally is getting attention is due to Charlottesville. As to the evidence of threats, I've posted links to them within this thread. What will make this different from Charlottesville is that Antifa has quoted themselves to be on the pro-gun side. Thus the Governor will be eating Imodium like candy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2020, 07:43 AM

19,724 posts, read 10,128,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
Corpgypsy did no such thing. Stop telling everyone else what they know and say and mean. I never mentioned a 223. I wouldn't know a 223 from a Boeing 747.

Types of weapons and the devastatingly different damage from those weapons of war vs regular type guns was my point. You and others, frequently, in numerous other threads, as well as this one, mock posters in an effort to divert the discussion by use of semantics and nuanced mumbo jumbo of shell casings and material and length of guns and bullets and handles etc. All in an attempt to dismiss those like myself with opposing views on gun safety and the need for legislation of certain types of machines and ammunition that we think belong on a battlefield and not on our streets. You know those automatic and assault types of killing machines that you pretend don't exist because we used the wrong phrase. Playing that gotcha, you are wrong game is transparently a way to change the narrative when a poster uses an incorrect layman's term regarding guns. Just look at what this thread was about...a sensible temporary ban of carrying intimidating weapons at a rally where the threat of violence is high.

The damage from certain types of guns vs others was my point as you once again were denying the damage those in the medical field face because by using this word vs that word means they are "lying and stupid"( YOUR words). I'd had it with that type of disingenuous debate and shared for the first time here on CD what my eyes have seen.

The kid who gets shot in the shoulder from a pistol or other type of handgun or that week-end warrior hunting accident, those are the "normal/average" ( god forbid that we are calling this normal) type of injuries we are accustomed to seeing; and internal damage is most likely fixable. But the massive injury and devastating irreparable damage that occurs from those other weapons are indeed significantly different, and I was fed up with the macho, chest thumping, foreign language usage to change the narrative of those who have an opposing view of the need for gun legislation in these United States of America. Calling surgeons stupid and liars was the last straw.

There are a percentage of you out there who do not care to consider any other viewpoint or side of this very serious problem and United States issue, and the use of name calling and gotcha tactics to claim a win and shut down an opposing opinion is clearly empowering to you. But do not tell me what I know and think again, dear.

The ballot box is clearly the only place to work on this. Bravo to Virginians who have demonstrated common sense and concern for the well being of the general public of their commonwealth!
Yes you did. You said in an earlier post about a small bore rifle making a 6" x 10" hole. You post so many lies you can't even remember all of them.

Old 01-17-2020, 08:31 AM

7,420 posts, read 2,710,487 times
Not so fast, Mr. Floorist!

Quote:
Originally posted by, Floorist: Yes you did. You said in an earlier post about a small bore rifle making a 6" x 10" hole. You post so many lies you can't even remember all of them
Below are the posts of mine, in this thread.

Quote:
^^^IMHO, this is a wonderfully wise post. Well stated.

Virginians overwhelmingly support background checks and red flag laws, and gun extremists are in the minority. Gun safety was the number one issue for voters in Virginia, and in November both chambers flipped to gun sense majorities — even in the NRA’s own backyard. And just this week, new polling by the Center for Public Policy at the L. Douglas Wilder School of Government and Public Affairs at Virginia Commonwealth University continued to show that a bipartisan majority of Virginians favor gun safety laws, with large majorities supporting background checks and red flag laws.

Gun extremists and many out-of-state militia groups decided to descend on the Virginia General Assembly, on January 20th hoping to intimidate lawmakers into rejecting the democratic will of the people of Virginia who, by wide margins, want (and voted for champions of) common-sense gun safety laws. These protesters and out of state activists planned to strap on their weapons and ammunition and parade around the Capitol. Credible threats have been received.

Recently a few counties that are home to myriad gun extremists and some Virginia militias adopted resolutions claiming they will not follow any new gun laws that the recently elected Virginia Assembly passes in the upcoming session. They are calling themselves 2nd Amendment Sanctuaries. These resolutions have been deemed lawless and dangerous and hold no legal weight. Policy experts, state attorneys general, and law enforcement alike agree that they undermine law enforcement, and create a dangerous environment for people who may hurt themselves or others.

In the wake of Charlottesville, where “a day of volatile street-fighting ended with a white supremacist plowing a car into a crowd of counter-protesters,†Virginia officials, legal experts, civil rights leaders, and leading editorial boards are worried that January 20th will turn into another violent, hate-fueled disaster. According to Alex Friedfeld, a researcher at the Anti-Defamation League, “White supremacist ‘accelerationists’ have seized on the dispute between the few counties/minority extremists and the gun safety laws in Virginia as the potential beginning of a civil war that will destroy the United States and allow them to build a white nation in its ruins.â€

The Georgetown Law’s Institute for Constitutional Advocacy and Protection state these resolutions aren't just dangerous but are "lawless and apparently run counter to the Constitution." These lawless resolutions have "spurred extremists who want to stand up with local militias to engage in armed rebellion against the state."

The NRA put out a formal statement supporting the Lawless County resolutions, and former NRA TV personalities Cam Edwards and Antonia Okafor are listed as speakers at the rally. The NRA has taken out billboards throughout Virginia ominously and baselessly warning of coming “confiscation†of firearms.

For decades the NRA has been pushing overheated rhetoric about the second amendment protecting citizens right to rise up against the government.

In light of all of the above, it makes a great deal of sense to me, that Governor Northam is taking precautions to protect all of his citizens and the welfare of the public with the emergency declaration.

Don't feel so special all you gun toting and macho weapon aficionados who feel threatened by public safety directives.
The ban on weapons include firearms, sticks, torches, bats, shields, helmets and more. Trying to prevent another Charlottesville is a "bad" thing?
Quote:
So you are feeling threatened by public safety directives in the city of Richmond, Virginia, I see.
Quote:
If memory serves me correctly one cannot drive on the Capitol Grounds, ever. Been a few years since I lived in Virginia, but cars have to park in lots, I believe. No roads on the grounds where the protests are occurring.
Logic applied.
Quote:
No, you don't seem to understand it, dear. Not at all. Why again are you so fearful of a public safety directive in Richmond, Virginia?

BTW the temporary ban on weapons includes firearms, sticks, torches, bats, shields, helmets and more. Cars are always banned on the grounds. Trying to prevent another Charlottesville is a "bad" thing?

Charlottesville means much more than that horrific homicide.... to Virginians and all American citizens alike. Why do you diminish that dark day in our USA? That car death was not the only dreadful, awful and frightful tragedy. Preventing a repeat and protecting public safety seems to be a part of a governor's duties.
Quote:
I hope you never have to see what those "lying, stupid surgeons" see. I wish I could unsee the smashed and shredded organs irreparably damaged by a weapon such as those you defend and whose devastatingly different damage you deny.

You see, I am a former ED/OR/ICU nurse and during one absolutely horrendous nightmarish shift, I frantically hung unit after unit after unit after countless units of blood into one of those bodies you so cavalierly dismiss with phony self-serving arguments. The blood just could not be replaced fast enough. My friend, the stupid, lying surgeon, knew we wouldn't make a difference because this was not one of those usual type of gunshot wounds. We nurses couldn't get the blood in fast enough, rapid transfusers, large bore IVs and many hands pumping and pushing everything. The physician, a former military surgeon, knew he was helpless and our efforts ineffective, even as he desperately tried...nothing left to repair. Nothing.

Stuff it, Floorist. You know naught of which you speak.
Quote:
Take your complaint to Floorist. Speaking up against lies, as I DID, is necessary, IMO.
Quote:
Corpgypsy did no such thing. Stop telling everyone else what they know and say and mean. I never mentioned a 223. I wouldn't know a 223 from a Boeing 747.

Types of weapons and the devastatingly different damage from those weapons of war vs regular type guns was my point. You and others, frequently, in numerous other threads, as well as this one, mock posters in an effort to divert the discussion by use of semantics and nuanced mumbo jumbo of shell casings and material and length of guns and bullets and handles etc. All in an attempt to dismiss those like myself with opposing views on gun safety and the need for legislation of certain types of machines and ammunition that we think belong on a battlefield and not on our streets. You know those automatic and assault types of killing machines that you pretend don't exist because we used the wrong phrase. Playing that gotcha, you are wrong game is transparently a way to change the narrative when a poster uses an incorrect layman's term regarding guns. Just look at what this thread was about...a sensible temporary ban of carrying intimidating weapons at a rally where the threat of violence is high.

The damage from certain types of guns vs others was my point as you once again were denying the damage those in the medical field face because by using this word vs that word means they are "lying and stupid"( YOUR words). I'd had it with that type of disingenuous debate and shared for the first time here on CD what my eyes have seen.

The kid who gets shot in the shoulder from a pistol or other type of handgun or that week-end warrior hunting accident, those are the "normal/average" ( god forbid that we are calling this normal) type of injuries we are accustomed to seeing; and internal damage is most likely fixable. But the massive injury and devastating irreparable damage that occurs from those other weapons are indeed significantly different, and I was fed up with the macho, chest thumping, foreign language usage to change the narrative of those who have an opposing view of the need for gun legislation in these United States of America. Calling surgeons stupid and liars was the last straw.

There are a percentage of you out there who do not care to consider any other viewpoint or side of this very serious problem and United States issue, and the use of name calling and gotcha tactics to claim a win and shut down an opposing opinion is clearly empowering to you. But do not tell me what I know and think again, dear.

The ballot box is clearly the only place to work on this. Bravo to Virginians who have demonstrated common sense and concern for the well being of the general public of their commonwealth!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Yes you did. You said in an earlier post about a small bore rifle making a 6" x 10" hole. You post so many lies you can't even remember all of them.
Not than anyone is interested but why don't you show us where I posted anything about 6x10 holes. The only hole I see is the one you are in. If you find yourself in a hole, dear, you should stop digging. Especially when your pants are on fire. The truth of the matter is, Floorist, you just made my point regarding your tactics, by falsely calling me a liar.

Last edited by corpgypsy; 01-17-2020 at 10:00 AM.. Reason: formatting

Old 01-17-2020, 08:35 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,572,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
corpgypsy claimed that the 223 made a 6" x 10" hole. Anyone who has ever shot anything like that knows that is not true.
that was actually craigie.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/poli...l#post57110692

Old 01-17-2020, 08:59 AM

29,503 posts, read 14,663,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
The Democrat Governor is playing politics pandering to the counties that voted Blue (The part of NOVA that sits close to DC). The rest of the state was Red. His gun range bill afaik only affects the NRA range. The gun rally at the Capitol last month was also small (link posted somewhere in this thread) and it didn't attract anything either. The only reason this rally is getting attention is due to Charlottesville. As to the evidence of threats, I've posted links to them within this thread. What will make this different from Charlottesville is that Antifa has quoted themselves to be on the pro-gun side. Thus the Governor will be eating Imodium like candy.
I was completely shocked when I heard this.

Old 01-17-2020, 09:07 AM

16,603 posts, read 8,615,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Virginia senate passed three gun laws:

* Mandatory background checks on all purchases
* Law allowing cities and towns to ban guns at public events
* Handgun purchases limited to one per month

What's to protest? These are good laws that enhance public safety while not restricting anyone's right to own a gun.
There are already mandatory background checks through the NICS with every legal attempt to purchase a gun. Therefore I suspect the purpose of adding another one is intended as some type of a work around on the national level.
Remember one of the key factors of the NICS is to do a proper check, but also to prevent any abuses concocted by gun control nuts such as onerous requirements.
Additionally it can not be used as a national registration scheme, which the anti-2A kooks desperately want.

As to the prohibition of cities towns to further restrict what is already in or not in the state requirements is fraught with many issues.
Not the least of which is a potential infringement of constitutional rights. That can be accurate both on the state and federal level.
I say potential, because not knowing the wording/intent of that law, I could not say for sure it would be unconstitutional.
However most states have laws restricting cities from exceeding state law when it comes to the states constitution.

The third law strikes me as amusing on several levels. First, what part of "shall not be infringed" do people not understand?
Aside from that, if a kook already has one gun, how is restricting him to buying one more per month going to make any difference?
Keep in mind that many people opposed to guns want any and all restrictions they can get, regardless of the effectiveness or common sense.
So before I go on to explain what other nonsensical issues involve a "one gun per month" restriction, why don't you make a rational case for how it logically does anything to prevent gun crime?

`

Old 01-17-2020, 09:24 AM

16,603 posts, read 8,615,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Yup, No more BOGO sales.
I know you will give a , but what would be wrong with a BOGO on anything?

If the person has the legal right to purchase a gun, why would a marketing scheme used for all sorts of items from food to those commercials selling widgets on TV (you know the ads, BUT WAIT, ORDER NOW AND WE WILL DOUBLE THE OFFER, GET A SECOND FREE DURING THIS LIMITED TIME OFFER).

I always get a kick out of people who are offended by such things, like a bank offering a gun as an incentive to open an account.
I think the leftist fool Michael Moore tried to make hay with that in his slanted movie. Give away a toaster as a marketing ploy is ok, but giving away a gun is insane, right?
In reality many people are motivated by different desires.
While marketing to gun owners might be an alien thought to those opposed to guns, others find interests in cat figurines puzzling.
Yet no one would object to a BOGO on most other items.

Another example of lack of understanding are those people who say "why would anyone have 1,000 rounds of ammunition" as if they couldn't figure it out.
Gun owners/enthusiasts like to go to the range and shoot, just like some people like to go fishing, play sports, cards, etc.
Therefore some people could go thru hundreds of rounds over a day or weekend. Additionally buying ammo in bulk is less expensive, so gun owners are no different than Costco shoppers, buying in bulk to save money.
But people opposed to guns or who have never thought of owning one, let their vivid imaginations run away with them.

`

Old 01-17-2020, 09:24 AM

3,405 posts, read 2,736,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Which is why Trump's appointments are so IMPORTANT.

IMO, MANY state laws WILL be challenged once we get 1 more "Constitutionalist" judge on the Supreme Court.
So much this. My state has passed and legislated numerous measures that were totally unconstitutional from public transportation taxes to gun regulations to property and water rights. The bad part is that months or years later when they are overturned, it's too late for the people and businesses that lost everything and our state government goes "meh" and takes ZERO responsibility for it.

I don't care if you're democrat or republican, this goes across party lines and states need to stop enacting unconstitutional measures.

Old 01-17-2020, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I was completely shocked when I heard this.
fyi: Somewhere in this thread I posted the link that covered it.

Old 01-17-2020, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I know you will give a , but what would be wrong with a BOGO on anything?

I'm a VA gun owner and remember going to local gun shows decades ago and working out deals with dealers where it was a BOGO. Today I may not be able to do so, but there is a Ace Hardware nearby that has a full section of guns and ammunition. I think the nearby Walmart was carrying weapons upwards of 2018.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies