Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2020, 12:00 PM

89,029 posts, read 44,853,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
^^^IMHO, this is a wonderfully wise post. Well stated.

Virginians overwhelmingly support background checks and red flag laws, and gun extremists are in the minority. Gun safety was the number one issue for voters in Virginia, and in November both chambers flipped to gun sense majorities — even in the NRA’s own backyard. And just this week, new polling by the Center for Public Policy at the L. Douglas Wilder School of Government and Public Affairs at Virginia Commonwealth University continued to show that a bipartisan majority of Virginians favor gun safety laws, with large majorities supporting background checks and red flag laws.

Gun extremists and many out-of-state militia groups decided to descend on the Virginia General Assembly, on January 20th hoping to intimidate lawmakers into rejecting the democratic will of the people of Virginia who, by wide margins, want (and voted for champions of) common-sense gun safety laws. These protesters and out of state activists planned to strap on their weapons and ammunition and parade around the Capitol. Credible threats have been received.

Recently a few counties that are home to myriad gun extremists and some Virginia militias adopted resolutions claiming they will not follow any new gun laws that the recently elected Virginia Assembly passes in the upcoming session. They are calling themselves 2nd Amendment Sanctuaries. These resolutions have been deemed lawless and dangerous and hold no legal weight. Policy experts, state attorneys general, and law enforcement alike agree that they undermine law enforcement, and create a dangerous environment for people who may hurt themselves or others.

In the wake of Charlottesville, where “a day of volatile street-fighting ended with a white supremacist plowing a car into a crowd of counter-protesters,” Virginia officials, legal experts, civil rights leaders, and leading editorial boards are worried that January 20th will turn into another violent, hate-fueled disaster. According to Alex Friedfeld, a researcher at the Anti-Defamation League, “White supremacist ‘accelerationists’ have seized on the dispute between the few counties/minority extremists and the gun safety laws in Virginia as the potential beginning of a civil war that will destroy the United States and allow them to build a white nation in its ruins.”

The Georgetown Law’s Institute for Constitutional Advocacy and Protection state these resolutions aren't just dangerous but are "lawless and apparently run counter to the Constitution." These lawless resolutions have "spurred extremists who want to stand up with local militias to engage in armed rebellion against the state."

The NRA put out a formal statement supporting the Lawless County resolutions, and former NRA TV personalities Cam Edwards and Antonia Okafor are listed as speakers at the rally. The NRA has taken out billboards throughout Virginia ominously and baselessly warning of coming “confiscation” of firearms.

For decades the NRA has been pushing overheated rhetoric about the second amendment protecting citizens right to rise up against the government.

In light of all of the above, it makes a great deal of sense to me, that Governor Northam is taking precautions to protect all of his citizens and the welfare of the public with the emergency declaration.

Don't feel so special all you gun toting and macho weapon aficionados.
The ban on weapons include firearms, sticks, torches, bats, shields, helmets and more. Trying to prevent another Charlottesville is a "bad" thing?
Shouldn't that mean CARS are banned? Guns killed no one in Charlottesville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2020, 12:12 PM

7,420 posts, read 2,710,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Shouldn't that mean CARS are banned? Guns killed no one in Charlottesville.
So you are feeling threatened by public safety directives in the city of Richmond, Virginia, I see.

Old 01-16-2020, 12:24 PM

16,603 posts, read 8,615,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Right, like my gun nut friend who posts a meme on FB saying the size of the hole a .223 makes is about .4 inches max.....and then is surprised when I post a photo of ballistics gel showing cavities 8 inches long and up to 4 inches across.

A gun nut is someone who lies out their teeth in an attempt to fool people who don't know things.

If someone really wants to know what a decent killing bullet does talk to the surgeons who operated on the Las Vegas crowd. You can't get better first hand information than that.

I can assure the readers here that it was not tiny holes through the innocents that killed and horribly mutilated them.

Basic common sense - the DC killers used a .223 and one shot....
First of all, most gun owners and groups that protect the 2A are far from liars, since the facts are on our side.
So claiming they lie to fool people sounds like projection, as it is the anti-gun types who engage is such. They are also the most uninformed not knowing the difference between magazines vs. "clips", or suppressors vs. "silencers" to name just two.
Yet despite this ignorance on the subject, they still feel compelled to give their uninformed and inaccurate opinions on what they think is reality.

Maybe you need to watch this video and then learn more about ballistics;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaZEvb3PWNQ

Keep in mind that a tiny bullet can kill someone, but that is not the point. The far more lethal calibers are not being targeted by the anti-2A types (yet), nor are the most common guns (i.e. handguns) that kill the most people.

Why?

Simple
Because your side of the ideological divide knows from decades of experience, that the majority of Americans are against most of what you represent when it comes to firearms.

Back in the 70's-80's the push to ban handguns was all the rage, but it failed miserably.
Remember Handgun Control Inc (HCI)?
They rebranded because the name (which was accurate to their cause) failed miserably, yet those same people are still advocating for gun control, just a different type.
Back then people were driving around with long guns in the back of their pickup trucks windows, and no national campaigned was attempted to stop them.
But now all of a sudden they have the big bad rifles in their sights (pun intended).

Now the anti-2A groups know they are more likely to succeed going after rifles, because not as many people own them, and they can sensationalize the tragic mass shootings as a means of trying to ban them. Remember from a statistical perspective, mass shootings (while having increased in recent years) represent a small fraction of people being killed by guns annually.
That does not stop your side from trying to exploit the emotions of people when they are raw.
Yet the proposals the Democrats come up with would not have stopped the tragedy they were trying to exploit.
Talk about dishonesty, how can you get more dishonest than that?
It would be akin to me saying I want to reduce car deaths after a huge wreck by adjusting the octane in gasoline. That certainly would not have made any difference in stopping the tragic car wreck, but it is a way to act as if "we are doing something".

`

Old 01-16-2020, 12:28 PM

Quote:
So you are feeling threatened by public safety directives in the city of Richmond, Virginia, I see.
I just believe they should be logical about it. The Charlottesville offending implement was a car. So, ban cars.

Old 01-16-2020, 12:29 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,122,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
If the NRA and politicians don't support common sense gun control laws, expect more of this!

I keep warning the gun nuts that if they don't bring common sense gun control measures to the table, circumstances will eventually dictate extreme gun control measures.
Extreme control by who?

LOL

Old 01-16-2020, 12:31 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,122,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyvw55 View Post
yeah, i mean, what could possibly go wrong? There's a gun rights rally and people from all over the country who are angry are coming with their guns.

First off, this is virginia's vote. It's a state issue. People from west virginia, for example? Stay home. Let virginia residents say what they want to say, it's not a national issue. Second, you don't need to "carry" to come to a rally and be heard or protest.

There's too much volatility and anger on both sides for this issue. I think it's wise to keep the guns off the capital grounds. They need to do whatever they can do to minimize danger during this rally.
#istandwithvirginia

Old 01-16-2020, 12:33 PM

7,420 posts, read 2,710,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I just believe they should be logical about it. The Charlottesville offending implement was a car. So, ban cars.
If memory serves me correctly one cannot drive on the Capitol Grounds, ever. Been a few years since I lived in Virginia, but cars have to park in lots, I believe. No roads on the grounds where the protests are occurring.
Logic applied.

Old 01-16-2020, 12:35 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,265,578 times
The FBI has made arrests prior to the gun rally of some white supremacist criminals. Sure--peaceful second amendment rally. Ironically, they were charged with "harboring illegal aliens" who came in and were picked up by the hate group on their way to make trouble with their automatic weapons.

You have to admit it is pretty funny that violent white supremacists are smuggling illegal aliens into the country, on their way to disrupt a 'peaceful rally.'

"...A federal criminal complaint has been filed charging three alleged members of the racially motivated violent extremist group “The Base” with firearms and alien-related charges. The complaint charges Brian Mark Lemley, Jr., age 33, of Elkton, Maryland, and Newark, Delaware, and William Garfield Bilbrough IV, age 19, of Denton, Maryland, with transporting and harboring aliens and conspiring to do so. Lemley is also charged with transporting a machine gun and disposing of a firearm and ammunition to an alien unlawfully present in the United States. Further, the complaint charges Lemley and Canadian national Patrik Jordan Mathews, age 27, currently of Newark, Delaware, with transporting a firearm and ammunition with intent to commit a felony. The complaint also charges Mathews with being an alien in possession of a firearm and ammunition. The complaint was filed January 14, 2020, and was unsealed today upon their arrests by the FBI..."

https://www.justice.gov/usao-md/pr/t...arms-and-alien

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/16/u...gun-rally.html

Old 01-16-2020, 12:37 PM

Quote:
If memory serves me correctly one cannot drive on the Capitol Grounds, ever. Been a few years since I lived in Virginia, but cars have to park in lots, I believe. No roads on the grounds where the protests are occurring.
Logic applied.
So, no gun banning necessary. Got it!

Old 01-16-2020, 12:41 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
First of all, most gun owners and groups that protect the 2A are far from liars, since the facts are on our side.
So claiming they lie to fool people sounds like projection, as it is the anti-gun types who engage is such. They are also the most uninformed not knowing the difference between magazines vs. "clips", or suppressors vs. "silencers" to name just two.
Yet despite this ignorance on the subject, they still feel compelled to give their uninformed and inaccurate opinions on what they think is reality.

Keep in mind that a tiny bullet can kill someone, but that is not the point. The far more lethal calibers are not being targeted by the anti-2A types (yet), nor are the most common guns (i.e. handguns) that kill the most people.

`
Lot of words, but explain how it is "projection" when a Vet (who knows guns) posts a pic of an AR-I5 hole in a piece of steel (or similar) and says this is what it does...and said post says anyone who says or thinks otherwise is ignorant?

I'd say that is propaganda. It's like saying an Atomic Bomb isn't very big because the case isn't and if we dropped it on a enclosed stadium it would only make a small hole in the roof. Period.

Believe it or not, educated Americans learn about Kinetic energy and such things in grade or middle school. In the 1960's, when I was a young teen, everyone knew exactly why the M-16 was designed as it was....and virtually no one (or very few) had or wanted one. Yet, of course, there were more hunters then.....

I'm not debating the right to self-defense. I'm simply saying that lying to people by omission purposely is not the proper way to discuss a subject. One could use the same examples on the other "side". When people blindly quote gun deaths without considering purposeful and considered suicides they are "lying" in a sense, although they are often lying from lack of knowledge.

But when an Infantryman posts a tiny hole and says that's what an AR with the good ammo does...that's complete BS, no matter how many words one might want to use to cover up the facts. As I said, results matter. Ask the surgeons. They know better than most anyone else.

Your other points are outside the scope of the debate...that is, handguns and stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies