Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2020, 03:14 PM

16,553 posts, read 10,614,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
What was going on with CBS last night? I didn't watch that channel, but this report says they were unusually fair...

"CBS Evening News anchor Norah O’Donnell led off by noting that Trump “promised relentless optimism” and delivered “a speech unlike any other I have witnessed from [him] where the reality TV President took on the State of the Union, a master showman at his best.”

Face the Nation moderator Margaret Brennan agreed, telling O’Donnell that Trump was “[v]ery much the showman.”

O’Donnell added that “[t]here were many moments....where Republicans leapt to their feet” while “Democrats sat stone faced” and Pelosi was left “pursing her lips, almost looking ill at some of the remarks made as the President touted his accomplishments and those of his administration, including a strong record on the economy.”

After a break, O’Donnell went even further, calling the President’s words “incredible remarks.”

And near the end of their coverage, O’Donnell credited him for offering “specific proposals...that might be appealing to independent voters” alongside “emotionally compelling stories” about “great Americans.”

At various points in their discussion, 60 Minutes correspondent John Dickerson stated that, while it wasn’t bipartisan in the same way Ronald Reagan’s 1984 address was, “this was his Morning in America speech.” and that Trump was “quite restrained.”
I had my TV on CBS for the speech. Afterwards, the anchors seemed quite stunned at Pelosi tearing up her copy, and remarked at how poorly this reflected on her. (Not in those words, but that's the gist of it.) I was quite surprised by their apparent fairness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2020, 03:21 PM

19,802 posts, read 9,345,163 times
Anyone want to guess what Pelosi's approval rating would be right now?

If it was anything more than 30%, I would be greatly surprised.

Old 02-05-2020, 03:26 PM

17,558 posts, read 13,334,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
What a picture! All those beautiful, strong, patriotic Americans, and there's Nancy Pelosi showing her utter contempt towards them. Disgraceful old crone.

I was waiting for her to swallow her teeth and bite herself in the A$$

Attached Thumbnails
***State of the Union Address February 4, 2020***-facebook_1580928742591.jpg  

Old 02-05-2020, 03:33 PM

16,759 posts, read 8,209,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post

Last I looked on RCP had Dems. +7 to retain the House and retake the Senate.

Old 02-05-2020, 03:34 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,749,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Ironically, I received a form letter from Mrs. Pelosi today, asking me to contribute to the DNC.

Before sendiing it back sans donation, I ripped it in half, and wrote:

“Here’s your letter, torn in half. Childish of me to do that, wasn’t it?
I had to rep ya! Beautifully Spoken!

Old 02-05-2020, 03:41 PM

1,199 posts, read 638,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post

If I had to guess, Trump's approval among his base went up for snubbing Pelosi's handshake, while Pelosi's approval among her base went down for ripping up the speech.

Republicans believe that rules of decorum should protect them, but not bind them. They aren't really attuned to their own hypocrisy.

On the other hand, a fair number of Democrats are criticizing Pelosi for stooping to Trump's level and dishonoring the role of Speaker.

So Trump gets a free pass because his supporters aren't sensitive to double-standards. Pelosi doesn't get a free pass because her supporters don't want her to stoop to Trump's level.

Old 02-05-2020, 03:55 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
It's fascinating to watch the Democrats do everything they could last night to drive away voters.

I've never seen a political party commit political suicide like that.
This week really amazes me politically - and I'm not easily amazed. (For the record, I think most politicians are corrupt, there should be term limits for ALL of them, and I don't even particularly like Trump.)

Three phrases keep ringing in my head: 1) Iowa caucus. 2) Stock market. 3) Nancy Pelosi.

Old 02-05-2020, 04:02 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,749,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
This week really amazes me politically - and I'm not easily amazed. (For the record, I think most politicians are corrupt, there should be term limits for ALL of them, and I don't even particularly like Trump.)

Three phrases keep ringing in my head: 1) Iowa caucus. 2) Stock market. 3) Nancy Pelosi.
Two out of three a disaster!

Old 02-05-2020, 04:02 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Trump asks for a bill to lower prescription drug prices during his state of the union speech. Does trump know about anything going on?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PIFi2CDIZg
Yeah. That bill would take potential savings and redirect them right back into Medicare, rather than cutting costs in any way, shape or form.

You and I both know that a lot more is attached to bills than what is apparent on the surface.

Old 02-05-2020, 04:03 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,351,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partial Observer View Post
If I had to guess, Trump's approval among his base went up for snubbing Pelosi's handshake, while Pelosi's approval among her base went down for ripping up the speech.

Republicans believe that rules of decorum should protect them, but not bind them. They aren't really attuned to their own hypocrisy.

On the other hand, a fair number of Democrats are criticizing Pelosi for stooping to Trump's level and dishonoring the role of Speaker.

So Trump gets a free pass because his supporters aren't sensitive to double-standards. Pelosi doesn't get a free pass because her supporters don't want her to stoop to Trump's level.
Nope. Not me. I applaud Pelosi for telling her dunce student that his presentation was dreck in a gesture of political theater.

She's going to do what she's going to do - and the only ones who can tell her her job is up is her constituents. Go move to San Francisco and organize if you don't like her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies