Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2020, 07:58 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,510,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
"at least 33 percent of the population lives more than 1 mile from a supermarket or large grocery store"

1 mile? hahahahahahaha wow that's a huge distance. No wonder the poor can't get food since it's obvious the poor can't walk or even move.

ONE MILE hahahahahahaha

Thanks for proving my point that the poverty concerns and lack of food is made up drama that has little substance.
My grandma lived .7 mile (I tracked it) from the grocery store, and would bring her food back with her cart - all the way up to age 90.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2020, 07:59 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,457,092 times
The bums that infest my city are not there because they can’t find work I have tried to hire them my Mexican friends have tried to give them food and clothing and it is refused they want cash
My lefty friends never give them anything instead they try to get you and me to pay for programs that will fix everything
Like housing projects
Let’s ask Detroit how that works

Old 02-11-2020, 08:00 AM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
So you think a poor person has money to buy a cart?
They're not expensive and have many uses, not the least of which is going to the laundromat, etc. Very cost-effective investment for a frequently used item. Again, adulting 101.

Old 02-11-2020, 08:03 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,835,417 times
Extreme poverty leads to significant communicable (contagious) diseases. Costs us all more in the long run not to help eliminate poverty. Karma does not discriminate.

Quote:
The association between poverty and communicable disease is evident from a cursory exercise in cartography. The maps of those living on less than two dollars a day and the epidemiology of HIV/AIDS, malaria, tuberculosis (TB), and many other infectious diseases coincide nearly exactly.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3168775/

Old 02-11-2020, 08:03 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,882,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
I'm wondering if you've ever been to a real city
I wonder if you care about the facts and the truth?

Quote:
... even if you go on vacation, it's often difficult to find a typical grocery store without driving out of the busiest areas. Yes, you can purchase overpriced apples and premade salads at 7-11, but if we're talking about the poor, having grossly overpriced convenience food items being the only thing available is the problem.
It's not the only available option and it's dishonest to say otherwise.

Quote:
Since homelessness is extremely rampant in a city I know well, Kissimmee, Florida (which is where Walt Disney World is), I'll talk about that. It is extremely common for homeless families to live in the motels that line Highway 192 (literally 3-5 miles from the Happiest Place on Earth). Many of these families do not have cars.
Yet we know for a fact that nearly three-quarters of the poor have a car or truck; 31 percent have two or more cars or trucks.

Quote:
There are a lot of places like Dollar General, 7-11, and RaceTrac that many of these folks can walk to. Perfect. They can stock up on junk food and an extremely small and expensive selection of fresh foods.
Again, It's not the only available option and it's dishonest to say otherwise.

Quote:
Let's say that instead, they decide to gather up the family and take the bus to a nearby Walmart. (They aren't going to go to Publix, which is an expensive grocery store... it's going to be Walmart.) They need to bring everyone because they will need to carry home their bags of food. Great! Problem solved.
Except you made this all up. Again we know for a fact that nearly three-quarters of the poor have a car or truck and 31 percent have two or more cars or trucks. We also know that neighbors help out neighbors and say things like "I'm going to the store, do you want to go?"

Quote:
Or is it? Remember, they live in a cheap hotel room. This means they don't have a place to store food or a place to cook food. They might have a microwave and they might have a 2-cubic-foot refrigerator. Hmm, maybe they don't need too many people to carry back bags of food after all. They can't purchase meat or fresh veggies that need to be cooked or much of anything perishable. They could get things like instant rice that they can cook in the microwave. And ramen. And junk food. This is starting to solve the mystery of why the poor are often overweight or obese.
Yet we know for a fact that
Ninety-six percent of poor parents stated that their children were never hungry at any time during the year because they could not afford food.

Some 83 percent of poor families reported that they had enough food to eat.

Some 82 percent of poor adults reported that they were never hungry at any time in the prior year due to lack of money to buy food.

How about you quit creating drama where none exists and do some actual research?

Quote:
Obviously this is just one particular circumstance. But again, if someone really can't see how poverty works and why people cannot access healthy food or medical care, then they're trying hard not to see the world around them.
More fake drama plus you and a plethora of others are making things up about what the OP said because you don't care about the truth and live in a world of fake drama.

here is what the OP said in their very short post. "poverty and doomsday scenarios that the Democrat candidates describe."

Nothing to do with their is no poverty and everything to do with outing the fake drama that the left and YOU use because you don't care about the truth and you treat adults like children.

It's about the fake scenarios and fake drama the left uses in order to keep their kept children who vote for them reliant on government because they weren't raised well enough and aren't adult enough to do the proper things in life. But why work when government will pay one not too? Kept children. Pathetic.

Old 02-11-2020, 08:04 AM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
My grandma lived .7 mile (I tracked it) from the grocery store, and would bring her food back with her cart - all the way up to age 90.
My Mom didn't learn to drive until I was in my teens. When we were little and she couldn't leave us home alone, we'd walk everywhere with her and her cart. The grocery store, laundromat, etc., many times much more than a mile.

Old 02-11-2020, 08:11 AM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,188,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
So you think a poor person has money to buy a cart?
The "poor" in America can afford to buy cigarettes, vapes, lottery tickets, alcohol... and even have a smartphone. And most are morbidly obese. So yes, a poor person in America can afford to buy their own cart.

Old 02-11-2020, 08:12 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,882,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Making things up my fanny. You say anyone who doesn't agree lockstep with you is "making things up". I'm getting tired of it and you.
It's not about agreeing with me. You made that up. Gee go figure. It's about the truth and the facts. Two things I have presented when I linked an article which YOU refused to read because YOU don't care about the truth. Refute what I posted. I dare you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I know people who work harder than I do and make much less money, so hard work doesn't always equal more money
And? So? Guess what I know people who don't work that hard yet make more money than you. See what I did there?

It's not about you. It's about the truth. Working hard AND smart is the answer. Not that you care about the truth or present any facts to back up anything you've posted.

Almost everything you posted in this thread, you've made up or created fake drama to make the situation look much, much worse than it really is.

Explain something to me. I'd really like to know if you care about the truth or not.

Explain to me how a country with a tone of fat poor people how food is hard to get. Explain to me when we know for a fact that

Ninety-six percent of poor parents stated that their children were never hungry at any time during the year because they could not afford food.

Some 82 percent of poor adults reported that they were never hungry at any time in the prior year due to lack of money to buy food.

https://www.heritage.org/poverty-and...after-50-years

Yet people can't get to food?

How about you look for the truth instead of making things up. Either refute my points or stay out of this thread. Are you able to do that? Are you able to cite HONEST sources using facts, logic, and reason or are you going to continually make things up because being right is more important than the truth to you?

Old 02-11-2020, 08:14 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,619,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
It's not about agreeing with me. You made that up. Gee go figure. It's about the truth and the facts. Two things I have presented when I linked an article which YOU refused to read because YOU don't care about the truth. Refute what I posted. I dare you.

And? So? It's not about you. It's aboutthe truth. Working hard AND smart is the answer. Not htta you care about the truth or present any facts to back up anything you've posted.

Almost everything you posted in this thread, you've made up or create fake drama to make the situation look much, much worse than it really is.

Explain something to me. I'd really like to know if you care about the truth or not.

Explain to me how a country with a tone of fat poor people how food is hard to get. Explain to me when we know for a fact that

https://www.heritage.org/poverty-and...after-50-years

Yet people can't get to food?

How about you look for the truth instead of making things up. Either refute my points or stay out of this thread. Are you able to do that? Are you able to cite HONEST sources using facts, logic, and reason or are you going to continually make things up because being right is more important than the truth to you?
Good food with protein and nutrients is hard to come by for them. They're fat because they are eating nutrient poor and protein deficient food with lots of sugar and fat, hence they're still getting surplus calories, but not getting the protein or nutrients they need

That's real, put that in your pipe and smoke it

Old 02-11-2020, 08:15 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,043,473 times
I haven’t seen anyone on the Upper West Side of Manhattan wearing a barrel today. Therefore, poverty does not exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies