Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2020, 06:35 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,619,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
So it's the Republicans' fault?! They're sending the poor to Baltimore and Detroit and St. Louis? Via the bus? Isn't ANYTHING the fault of Democratic policies?
Not what you're trying to insinuate. The only thing that is the "fault" of democratic policies is high property taxes in areas like the Northeast, where I was from originally. But it's because there is more local governments back there aka home rule; while out west here, there is more consolidation hence less need for as many tax dollars, that goes for California as well, where property taxes are capped at 1% of value at time of current owner purchase
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2020, 06:36 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,308,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
The OP might just not live in CA...
Doubt they live in Alabama either (red state):

The statement that they don't see any poverty (in red or blue states) is just rediculous. More fake news and lies from the base. We have a lot of good, and a lot of problems. Let's not pretend either don't exist.

Old 02-11-2020, 07:05 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,230,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
That's because Republican towns bus them out to Democratic cities, they pass the buck rather than deal with it correctly
That’s funny. NYC ships their homeless to states all over the country and last I checked, NYC is completely progressive Democrat controlled.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/new-yor...es-11575412379

Old 02-11-2020, 07:07 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,230,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Not what you're trying to insinuate. The only thing that is the "fault" of democratic policies is high property taxes in areas like the Northeast, where I was from originally. But it's because there is more local governments back there aka home rule; while out west here, there is more consolidation hence less need for as many tax dollars, that goes for California as well, where property taxes are capped at 1% of value at time of current owner purchase
LOL on sugarcoating. “More government” is a nice way of saying excessive government, which the Democrats love.

Old 02-11-2020, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
LOL on sugarcoating. “More government” is a nice way of saying excessive government, which the Democrats love.
There was no sugar coating. Only righties believe that anywhere in THIS country has excessive government

Old 02-11-2020, 07:12 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,878,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Some places have food pantries. A lot of places do not. A lot of inner cities don't even have grocery stores for people who do have money to buy food. (Called food deserts)

Some poor people can't get to the food pantry for lack of transportation.
I don't believe any of this. I'd like to see proof that inner cities don't have a place nearby to purchase food. I really want to know where this is true.

I'd like to see proof that people can't get to food because from everything I've seen and witnessed none of what you said is the truth. Poorer neighborhoods have small local stores and not the large supermarkets. That's not lack of availability. Look how fat people are and you're going to tell me there is a problem getting food? lol

We know that nearly three-quarters of the poor have a car or truck but according to you there is a sizeable number of people who have a problem getting food? lol Is it because you think people are so dumb they can't get with someone who has a car or is it that people don't help one another?

If none of that common sense rhetoric convinces you, how about this article?
This is from 2017 so I have no idea where you're getting your information.

The U.S. for the first time dropped from the top spot in a global ranking of how well countries can feed their own people, as concerns about agricultural research spending and government policy trends may make the world’s top food exporter a less-certain place to get a meal.

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2017-food-security/

So explain to me how an article a few years old that specifically points out America as the place that was the the best country when it comes to feeding it's people and fell to 2nd place has problems feeding people?

Old 02-11-2020, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
I don't believe any of this. I'd like to see proof that inner cities don't have a place nearby to purchase food. I really want to know where this is true.

I'd like to see proof that people can't get to food because from everything I've seen and witnessed none of what you said is the truth. Poorer neighborhoods have small local stores and not the large supermarkets. That's not lack of availability. Look how fat people are and you're going to tell me there is a problem getting food? lol

We know that nearly three-quarters of the poor have a car or truck but according to you there is a sizeable number of people who have a problem getting food? lol Is it because you think people are so dumb they can't get with someone who has a car or is it that people don't help one another?

If none of that common sense rhetoric convinces you, how about this article?
This is from 2017 so I have no idea where you're getting your information.

The U.S. for the first time dropped from the top spot in a global ranking of how well countries can feed their own people, as concerns about agricultural research spending and government policy trends may make the world’s top food exporter a less-certain place to get a meal.

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2017-food-security/

So explain to me how an article a few years old that specifically points out America as the place that was the the best country when it comes to feeding it's people and fell to 2nd place has problems feeding people?
Poor neighborhoods have "convenience stores" usually, and they mainly stock junk food loaded with preservatives, not healthy food with shorter shelf lives

Old 02-11-2020, 07:14 AM

30,075 posts, read 18,678,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
I must live in a different world from the Democrat candidates because I do not see any poverty and doomsday scenarios that the Democrat candidates describe. If they're fighting against this current economy, I'd say that is a losing scenario.
The economy is good. However, there are poor people everywhere; one simply needs to look in the right places.

In modern societies, the poor are usually relegated to areas in which higher income people do not frequent, thus they appear "invisible". They still do, however, exist.

Old 02-11-2020, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Oh, so the hungry people here aren't starving like the hungry people in Africa or India. I'm sure that will make them feel SO much better when they can't feed themselves or their children.
Show proof that many can't feed themselves of their children. I'd like to see some actual proof. Because the facts I've seen say the exact opposite.

from 2014

Ninety-six percent of poor parents stated that their children were never hungry at any time during the year because they could not afford food.

Some 83 percent of poor families reported that they had enough food to eat.

Some 82 percent of poor adults reported that they were never hungry at any time in the prior year due to lack of money to buy food.

As a group, America’s poor are far from being chronically undernourished. The average consumption of protein, vitamins, and minerals is virtually the same for poor and middle-class children and in most cases is well above recommended norms. Poor children actually consume more meat than do higher-income children and have average protein intakes 100 percent above recommended levels

https://www.heritage.org/poverty-and...after-50-years

The education system in America is 3rd world but the food system isn't.

Old 02-11-2020, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Check out consumer debt. The morning paper informs me it is the highest since 1998.
lol Agreed but that has nothing to do with poverty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies