Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2020, 07:20 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,878,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
So it's the Republicans' fault?! They're sending the poor to Baltimore and Detroit and St. Louis? Via the bus? Isn't ANYTHING the fault of Democratic policies?
When a party doesn't believe in personal responsibility how can it be their fault? The politicians that the left elects are pathetic pieces of filth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2020, 07:21 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,730,901 times
I live in a small republican city and there's plenty of poverty. Not a ton of homeless people (but there are some and we do have tents set up in the wooded areas), but lots of less visible poverty. Families living in too-small homes, lots of people depending on the food banks, etc. In my county (which includes some very wealthy areas, including the neighborhoods housing the summer homes of some celebrities), 47 percent of children receive free or reduced lunch. For someone to say that they are completely unaware of poverty indicates that they're in a self-imposed bubble of willful oblivion.

Old 02-11-2020, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Poor neighborhoods have "convenience stores" usually, and they mainly stock junk food loaded with preservatives, not healthy food with shorter shelf lives
That is somewhat true. The selection of course doesn't match grocery stores but there is some healthy food available in those stores plus there are stores with healthy food locally available.

Old 02-11-2020, 07:24 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,962,441 times
Food deserts. Scroll down to see maps

https://www.ers.usda.gov/amber-waves...rts-in-the-us/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
I don't believe any of this. I'd like to see proof that inner cities don't have a place nearby to purchase food. I really want to know where this is true.

I'd like to see proof that people can't get to food because from everything I've seen and witnessed none of what you said is the truth. Poorer neighborhoods have small local stores and not the large supermarkets. That's not lack of availability. Look how fat people are and you're going to tell me there is a problem getting food? lol

We know that nearly three-quarters of the poor have a car or truck but according to you there is a sizeable number of people who have a problem getting food? lol Is it because you think people are so dumb they can't get with someone who has a car or is it that people don't help one another?

If none of that common sense rhetoric convinces you, how about this article?
This is from 2017 so I have no idea where you're getting your information.

The U.S. for the first time dropped from the top spot in a global ranking of how well countries can feed their own people, as concerns about agricultural research spending and government policy trends may make the world’s top food exporter a less-certain place to get a meal.

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2017-food-security/

So explain to me how an article a few years old that specifically points out America as the place that was the the best country when it comes to feeding it's people and fell to 2nd place has problems feeding people?

Old 02-11-2020, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
I live in a small republican city and there's plenty of poverty. Not a ton of homeless people (but there are some and we do have tents set up in the wooded areas), but lots of less visible poverty. Families living in too-small homes, lots of people depending on the food banks, etc. In my county (which includes some very wealthy areas, including the neighborhoods housing the summer homes of some celebrities), 47 percent of children receive free or reduced lunch. For someone to say that they are completely unaware of poverty indicates that they're in a self-imposed bubble of willful oblivion.
At least you admit there isn't a problem getting food. But your neighborhood is the norm now. Which is sad since it proves too many parents are not taking care of their kids. Just in the last few years, for the first time ever, a majority of school aged children are on free or assist lunches. Explain to me how a family getting food stamps can't feed their own children? Pathetic

I'll go you one better, in my last neighborhood, the 2 closest schools had over 90% of the children on free or assisted meals.

Why feed your kids when government will do it cheaper or for free? THAT is the problem. Dependency.

Old 02-11-2020, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Food deserts. Scroll down to see maps

https://www.ers.usda.gov/amber-waves...rts-in-the-us/
"at least 33 percent of the population lives more than 1 mile from a supermarket or large grocery store"

1 mile? hahahahahahaha wow that's a huge distance. No wonder the poor can't get food since it's obvious the poor can't walk or even move.

ONE MILE hahahahahahaha

Thanks for proving my point that the poverty concerns and lack of food is made up drama that has little substance.

Old 02-11-2020, 07:31 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,619,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
"at least 33 percent of the population lives more than 1 mile from a supermarket or large grocery store"

1 mile? hahahahahahaha wow that's a huge distance. No wonder the poor can't get food since it's obvious the poor can't walk or even move.

ONE MILE hahahahahahaha
Try walking a mile with bags full of groceries....

Old 02-11-2020, 07:31 AM

15,866 posts, read 21,452,288 times
What does "the economy is good" mean? Employment rates are high, but what kind of employment? In my area, there's a lot of growth at the top (biotech, software companies, internet of things) and the bottom (Amazon gig workers, Uber drivers, service workers) but not a ton of growth in the middle. Those bottom level jobs often have little to no benefits, little protection, and don't pay enough to support one person, much less a family.

When I think about my own experience with poverty, I was making 35K a year at a job that required a college degree (thanks, recession) when I was diagnosed with stage IV cancer. Even with good insurance and benefits, I had to find time to go to the food bank, was spacing out my medications because I couldn't afford them, and eventually convinced my oncologist to eliminate my biweekly blood checks on my off week from chemo because I couldn't afford the $20 copay, $10 parking, and time off of work. There were months where I didn't know how I was going to pay my rent despite living with multiple roommates. And I was someone who was well educated, went into my experience with more savings than the average person, and knew how to cook and budget, and had the wherewith all to deal with insurance companies and look for charity aid. I made too much money for government assistance, despite my cancer treatment and related expenses costing far more than my income.

I also learned how expensive it was to be poor. The food bank was only open limited hours, often hours when I was at work, so that was a challenge. I ended up eating a lot of boxed mac and cheese (exactly what a cancer patient should be eating to recover, right?) because I bought a bunch on sale for .50c. I got a parking ticket because the day after chemo, I was so sick in bed that I was late by 1 minute to move my car to the other side of the road for street cleaning. I couldn't afford the fine, so it just kept getting more expensive until I finally had the money to pay it off. It took me years to get out of the cycle of buying cheap clothes and shoes that wore out quickly because I couldn't outlay the money for something that would last. Those $200 pair of leather boots with the thick soles look as good as new 5 years later, while the $50 pair of boots had me stuffing plastic bags around my socks by the end of the first winter.

My poverty was temporary, but not everyone is so lucky or blessed with intelligence. It's been a priority to me early on to give back so I never forget what it was like to be poor. Even if volunteering is not your priority, how blind do you have to be to not see poverty around you?

Old 02-11-2020, 07:33 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,761,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Try walking a mile with bags full of groceries....
...when you are 72 years old and suffering from arthritis.

Old 02-11-2020, 07:34 AM

15,866 posts, read 21,452,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
...when you are 72 years old and suffering from arthritis.

Or when you're 23 and 2 days out of chemo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies