Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2020, 07:35 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,924,893 times

Advertisements

The USA has the richest "poor" people in the world. Our poor people live like middle class in the rest of the world. Our poor people own cars. Thats not very poor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2020, 07:35 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,878,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Try walking a mile with bags full of groceries....
As if that's anywhere near the norm. That you think it is, is laughable.

Try asking a neighbor for a ride. Wow that was hard to figure out. I guess where you live people don't rely on one another because they are kept children who rely on government?

"Ninety-six percent of poor parents stated that their children were never hungry at any time during the year because they could not afford food."

"Some 82 percent of poor adults reported that they were never hungry at any time in the prior year due to lack of money to buy food."

I guess those people are lying, right?

Can you at least do some research? https://www.heritage.org/poverty-and...after-50-years

Old 02-11-2020, 07:36 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,830,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
I live in a small republican city and there's plenty of poverty. Not a ton of homeless people (but there are some and we do have tents set up in the wooded areas), but lots of less visible poverty. Families living in too-small homes, lots of people depending on the food banks, etc. In my county (which includes some very wealthy areas, including the neighborhoods housing the summer homes of some celebrities), 47 percent of children receive free or reduced lunch. For someone to say that they are completely unaware of poverty indicates that they're in a self-imposed bubble of willful oblivion.
ITA with the bold above.

The OP in my view lives in a la-la land. I live in an area with a lot of poverty both within our Democratic, highly populated county and our suburban, Republican counties. We have one of the largest homeless populations of children in the state of Ohio. They are primarily teenagers and their parents are opioid addicts.

The OP just doesn't want to see reality. I have never lived in any place whether urban or suburban that didn't have poverty stricken people/areas.

Old 02-11-2020, 07:38 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,619,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post

Try asking a neighbor for a ride. Wow that was hard to figure out. I guess where you live people don't rely on one another because they are kept children who rely on government?
Where I live there aren't any poor people (except homeless), they couldn't afford the rents in my building. So we all have cars. But unlike you, I know how fortunate me and my neighbors are and that a lot of people have it much worse than us

Old 02-11-2020, 07:39 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,830,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
The USA has the richest "poor" people in the world. Our poor people live like middle class in the rest of the world. Our poor people own cars. Thats not very poor.
I know a lot of poor people who don't own cars....

We also don't have very good bus service so we do have people who walk 1-2 miles to get groceries here. I take my elderly neighbors to the grocery store because they don't have cars. One is a Vietnam veteran and his wife is retired and on social security. They did have a car but it broke down and they don't have enough money to buy a new one. So we do try to coordinate taking them to the grocery store. My neighbor doesn't like to ask though because some people don't like to ask for help. He has a bike and I've stopped and picked him up riding his bike to the store for groceries. He is in his 70s and in poor health and has fallen off the bike before and ended up in the hospital.

Old 02-11-2020, 07:40 AM

15,866 posts, read 21,455,012 times
Quote:

"Ninety-six percent of poor parents stated that their children were never hungry at any time during the year because they could not afford food."

"Some 82 percent of poor adults reported that they were never hungry at any time in the prior year due to lack of money to buy food."

I guess those people are lying, right?

Can you at least do some research? https://www.heritage.org/poverty-and...after-50-years

You're right - it IS laughable that a grocery store would only be a mile away! And even more laughable that your neighbors would have cars or the time between multiple jobs to shepherd you around.

Old 02-11-2020, 07:42 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,878,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Where I live there aren't any poor people (except homeless), they couldn't afford the rents in my building. So we all have cars. But unlike you, I know how fortunate me and my neighbors are and that a lot of people have it much worse than us
Show proof of the bolded You won't because you can't. It's just another of your juvenile, dishonest comments that deflects from the truth and the topic.

Since when is busting ones backside by working hard and making the rights decisions, fortunate? You think because someone works hard they are fortunate to get paid and succeed in life? Pathetic thought process.

Lets try this again and see if you deflect

Ninety-six percent of poor parents stated that their children were never hungry at any time during the year because they could not afford food.

Some 83 percent of poor families reported that they had enough food to eat.

Some 82 percent of poor adults reported that they were never hungry at any time in the prior year due to lack of money to buy food.

https://www.heritage.org/poverty-and...after-50-years

Please do some research and educate yourself. That way you won't be making things up, creating fake drama and looking foolish.

Old 02-11-2020, 07:46 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,730,901 times
Quote:
That is somewhat true. The selection of course doesn't match grocery stores but there is some healthy food available in those stores plus there are stores with healthy food locally available.
I'm wondering if you've ever been to a real city... even if you go on vacation, it's often difficult to find a typical grocery store without driving out of the busiest areas. Yes, you can purchase overpriced apples and premade salads at 7-11, but if we're talking about the poor, having grossly overpriced convenience food items being the only thing available is the problem.

Since homelessness is extremely rampant in a city I know well, Kissimmee, Florida (which is where Walt Disney World is), I'll talk about that. It is extremely common for homeless families to live in the motels that line Highway 192 (literally 3-5 miles from the Happiest Place on Earth). Many of these families do not have cars.

There are a lot of places like Dollar General, 7-11, and RaceTrac that many of these folks can walk to. Perfect. They can stock up on junk food and an extremely small and expensive selection of fresh foods.

Let's say that instead, they decide to gather up the family and take the bus to a nearby Walmart. (They aren't going to go to Publix, which is an expensive grocery store... it's going to be Walmart.) They need to bring everyone because they will need to carry home their bags of food. Great! Problem solved.

Or is it? Remember, they live in a cheap hotel room. This means they don't have a place to store food or a place to cook food. They might have a microwave and they might have a 2-cubic-foot refrigerator. Hmm, maybe they don't need too many people to carry back bags of food after all. They can't purchase meat or fresh veggies that need to be cooked or much of anything perishable. They could get things like instant rice that they can cook in the microwave. And ramen. And junk food. This is starting to solve the mystery of why the poor are often overweight or obese.

Obviously this is just one particular circumstance. But again, if someone really can't see how poverty works and why people cannot access healthy food or medical care, then they're trying hard not to see the world around them.

Old 02-11-2020, 07:47 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,619,501 times
Quote:
Show proof of the bolded You won't because you can't. It's just another of your juvenile, dishonest comments that deflects from the truth and the topic.

Since when is busting ones backside by working hard and making the rights decisions, fortunate? You think because someone works hard they are fortunate to get paid and succeed in life? Pathetic thought process.

Lets try this again and see if you deflect

Ninety-six percent of poor parents stated that their children were never hungry at any time during the year because they could not afford food.

Some 83 percent of poor families reported that they had enough food to eat.

Some 82 percent of poor adults reported that they were never hungry at any time in the prior year due to lack of money to buy food.

https://www.heritage.org/poverty-and...after-50-years

Please do some research and educate yourself. That way you won't be making things up, creating fake drama and looking foolish.
Making things up my fanny. You say anyone who doesn't agree lockstep with you is "making things up". I'm getting tired of it and you.

I know people who work harder than I do and make much less money, so hard work doesn't always equal more money

Old 02-11-2020, 07:48 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,962,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
That's what carts are for. Adulting 101.
So you think a poor person has money to buy a cart?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies