Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2020, 10:51 AM

18,741 posts, read 7,620,616 times

Advertisements

When people sell their souls to total government dependence and control, I've never heard of any of them coming back. Did the USSR come back? Did Venezuela? Did 1940s Germany? Italy?

No, they had to totally crash and burn, and then kicked out of the government. Sometimes after getting it bloodily beaten out of them.

A rare counterexample is modern China. They made an effort to come back in the last 20 years, and made remarkable progress. But then they reversed course, and are now on the way back to unlimited government control. The Chinese people I've talked to are not happy about it. But the government didn't ask their opinions before deciding.

I'd be pleased if any country came back to sanity on their own. But not optimistic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2020, 10:54 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,619,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
You really don't BELIEVE that, do you? If Sanders is "for workers"-why does he insist on raising our taxes and giving our money to those that DON'T work? Why does he demand that we pay for health care and education for criminal aliens? Why does he insist on attacking the businesses that provide our jobs?

Warren would say the same stupid crap that Bernie does. But she was doing it to advance and enrich herself. What is a little scary about Bernie is that he might actually believe the stupid stuff that comes out of his mouth.
Single payer healthcare would cover EVERYBODY.

Old 03-07-2020, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
No, he's not. Sanders is for illegal aliens. He is aggressively clear about that.

There is no single candidate or so-called party platform in favor of average income people legally on US soil.

The only partial exception is Trump by attempting to executive current laws on illegal immigration and achieving border security, in the face of fierce resistance from all sides, and renegotiating trade deals.

But even he does not go far enough.

Only then would we have a rational basis for meaningful health care insurance reform, among other crucial reforms.

Until then, we are bombarded with contradictory propaganda from all sides, Sanders is no exception. He is a charlatan like the rest of them.
If you believe your first paragraph, there is nothing anyone could say to convince you otherwise

Old 03-07-2020, 10:58 AM

1,761 posts, read 1,714,880 times
Well said! Once you get someone "hooked" and relying on any kind of direct payment on their behalf, the "need" will never go away, and if the government even mentions taking that benefit away....the riots, verbal and sometimes even physical, will quickly ensue.

You'll be called all kinds of nasty names, and told you don't remotely care about people in need.

The lesson I've learned is that it's easy to start a government program, and you have a lot of "friends" when you do....but it's literally impossible to end a government program.

Just like drugs....once the "hooked" constituency is built, and becomes reliant, the "need" will never end.

Old 03-07-2020, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Single payer healthcare would cover EVERYBODY.
Until they run out of Other People's Money, as Obamacare did.

Old 03-07-2020, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Until they run out of Other People's Money, as Obamacare did.
First off, I didn't support the ACA. I wanted at minimum a public option (which we didn't get thanks to the insurance lobby).

And second off, other countries are successfully running single payer healthcare systems, and don't dare try to switch to ours.

I know you reich wingers always like to cite people from Canada or the UK who come here for treatment, but you always fail to mention that those people are RICH. Working Joe's from said countries aren't coming here....

Old 03-07-2020, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
First off, I didn't support the ACA. I wanted at minimum a public option (which we didn't get thanks to the insurance lobby).

And second off, other countries are successfully running single payer healthcare systems, and don't dare try to switch to ours.

I know you reich wingers always like to cite people from Canada or the UK who come here for treatment, but you always fail to mention that those people are RICH. Working Joe's from said countries aren't coming here....
A typical liberal reply. If govt intrusion and control don't work, add MORE govt intrusion and control. And if anybody disagrees, call them names.

Old 03-07-2020, 11:10 AM

25,772 posts, read 12,840,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
So why the hell don't Republicans, including Trump, advocate doing away with government welfare for those who don't work? The age old answer to that? There isn't a dime's worth of difference between the Republican and Democrat parties.
Trump tried to require some people who are on government assistance to have to work, but the Democrats would not go along. It was added to a recent bill, but the Dems removed it before it was passed. It happened in the last month or so. Maybe in the "Farm" bill, which is really the food stamp bill.

Old 03-07-2020, 11:14 AM

25,457 posts, read 9,817,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper1372 View Post
Well said! Once you get someone "hooked" and relying on any kind of direct payment on their behalf, the "need" will never go away, and if the government even mentions taking that benefit away....the riots, verbal and sometimes even physical, will quickly ensue.

You'll be called all kinds of nasty names, and told you don't remotely care about people in need.

The lesson I've learned is that it's easy to start a government program, and you have a lot of "friends" when you do....but it's literally impossible to end a government program.

Just like drugs....once the "hooked" constituency is built, and becomes reliant, the "need" will never end.
This is a good article regarding welfare and its recipients. There are many reasons why there is a need for welfare in this country. Laziness isn't at the top.
https://www.lexingtonlaw.com/blog/fi...tatistics.html
Sadly, there are many children living in poverty in this country. Sometimes unforeseen circumstances happen that are not in our control. However, I believe people should not have children if they can't afford them.

Old 03-07-2020, 11:16 AM

30,388 posts, read 19,184,321 times
I don't think the Democrats will ever return to a policy of supporting the working class unless they get wiped out in a couple of election cycles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies