Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2020, 12:07 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,377,888 times

Advertisements

Neither party has supported a working American since inception.

The sooner you folks learn that the sooner the long road to recovery can begin.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2020, 12:13 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,500,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Wow, that is obviously slanted with a right wing bias. Sanders IS for the American worker.
Biden isn't. tRump isn't either
sanders is NOT for the worker

sanders will have everyone in proverty...except himself

Old 03-07-2020, 12:14 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,510,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Wrong again. Working Americans are smart enough to figure out that without successful businesses we have no jobs. That business owners are not the enemy of workers. And that creating jobs and giving us a chance to make a living is not "exploiting and cheating" us. Moderate policies, such as we are finally embracing, are what is boosting American wages, driving down unemployment and protecting American citizens.
Yes, and this is why I shudder at the thought of Biden. He will just be Obama Part Deux, with his "you didn't build that!" scolding to motivated, disciplined, and capable people who had the gumption to start their own company and eventually provide jobs to others.

P.S. I was a business owner, and I DID build it!

Old 03-07-2020, 12:16 PM

8,957 posts, read 2,561,248 times
I think after the disaster that the 2020 election is going to be for them, the party finally learns their lesson and returns to the middle cutting off the far left faction. The upcoming red wave is going to leave them almost entirely without political power, so it'll be a while before they recover IMO.

Old 03-07-2020, 12:18 PM

18,502 posts, read 9,170,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post
I think after the disaster that the 2020 election is going to be for them, the party finally learns their lesson and returns to the middle cutting off the far left faction. The upcoming red wave is going to leave them almost entirely without political power, so it'll be a while before they recover IMO.
A lot of Trump’s rhetoric was left wing: he spoke about workers getting screwed by big business interests.

Will the Republicans also get rid of their left wing and move to the center?

Old 03-07-2020, 12:20 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,464,101 times
Quote:
Wrong again. Working Americans are smart enough to figure out that without successful businesses we have no jobs. That business owners are not the enemy of workers. And that creating jobs and giving us a chance to make a living is not "exploiting and cheating" us. Moderate policies, such as we are finally embracing, are what is boosting American wages, driving down unemployment and protecting American citizens.
Without a healthy, safe and prosperous working class, we have no business.

America's greatness manifests in the well being and contentment of it's people. It was for that purpose that the many regulations intended to protect the people and their environment were put in place.

We don't need any more burning rivers, thalidomide babies nor love canals.

I see the Republican party working hard to dismantle all of that. If we continue down this dark path we will be as polluted and unsafe (and our workers as exploited) as China.

No thanks.

Old 03-07-2020, 12:25 PM

8,957 posts, read 2,561,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
A lot of Trump’s rhetoric was left wing: he spoke about workers getting screwed by big business interests.

Will the Republicans also get rid of their left wing and move to the center?
Probably not. The Republicans tend to not change much over time, or rather, they do so very slowly. Democrats surged extremely far left over a short period of time and they'll shift back. Republicans will stay about the same. Trump being elected in many ways was a shift to the left a bit, but nothing extreme.....which is what you'd expect from a conservative party really.

I personally hope we see a shift by both parties back towards the libertarian side of things, to me, the shift by both of them towards the authoritarian side of things is as concerning as the left's sudden and dramatic shift to the left.

Old 03-07-2020, 12:31 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,962,441 times
Quote:
I think in this day and age, we have to distinguish between small and medium locally owned businesses and the large conglomerate global companies. I agree that local businesses are not the enemy of the workers. There is a personal relationship between the owner and the workers; more of a sense of "we are in this together."

But the large companies seem to just look at the numbers. If they can make more money by shipping jobs oversees, they will do it. Many have done it already. Their emphasis on profits and money for the shareholders makes them forget that it is the labor of their workers who are actually making them profitable. But they don't care where the workers are anymore.

We used to hear about companies who were good corporate citizens. They were good to their workers and helped in their communities. Don't hear that anymore.

Old 03-07-2020, 12:36 PM

52,291 posts, read 52,723,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conqueso View Post
Did you build the roads ? The sewers your business needed ? Did you build the US Postal service ? The infrastructure your business needed to thrive.

That's what he was saying.
Left progressive lines right from the NPR playbook. I have a coworker reciting all of this verbatim. You forgot to mention the part about how those same businesses utilize an educated workforce paid for by the taxpayers too. If you're going to recite NPR talking points, be sure to get it right.

There is an arguement for this, I get it to a point. My coworker and other far lefties use this arguement to justify taxing the rich up to 80%.

The rich need to pay their fair share but not 80%. My coworker thinks that anyone making 10M a year should pay 90%, his rational is is that making 1 million a year is enough. Lol, I have to resist the urge to tell him to go screw himself.

Old 03-07-2020, 12:38 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,510,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
ROTFL

Keep telling yourself that nonsense.

What the townhall needed was a simple translator for the monolingual (neolithic) English speakers in the audience.
Except they didn't have one, apparently, and thus they should have asked the voter to ask her question in English. Or else it was a plug, designed to attract Latino voters, much like Beto stumbling through his memorized sentence of Spanish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies