Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2020, 10:41 AM

3,046 posts, read 2,385,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
Most people know that wearing a mask is useless and for show.
Only if you're a covidiot

Old 11-03-2020, 11:31 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,579,950 times
A mask will help lower the viral load so your immune system can fight it off. I don't think an asymptomatic or mild case will convey much immunity from what I've read. They were testing antibodies from patients who survived severe bouts of COVID-19.

Compliance here is so high that they no longer monitor people. They have the signs, the wipes, and the hand sanitizers.

Old 11-03-2020, 12:33 PM

50,820 posts, read 36,527,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Wow wow wow. So someone, in the times of covid, can almost brush up against my back getting so close as to be passively aggressive saying "put your mask on", but when I call them out to get the man in the situation to talk to like a grown man instead of a coward, then I'm in the wrong?

What happened to minding your own business? They were lucky I didnt say "they told me Black lives don't matter!", because I would have embarrassed them for the hell of it. As you can see, passive aggresiveness is not my thing especially from men.

And democrats wonder why they are losing Black voters. Always want us to comply to the white man. Cant believe I went from voting for Obama twice to this and its mostly due to people like yourself.
Sorry you still sound like you have a giant chip on your shoulder.

Old 11-03-2020, 12:35 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,979,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Sorry you still sound like you have a giant chip on your shoulder.
I do which is why I'm making sure to kick these liberals out of office because they don't actually care about Blacks.

Thanks for helping usher in this change among Black voters. There needs to be more smug liberals like you who have fooled many of us for too long with your lip service.

And I agree, you are definitely sorry.

Old 11-03-2020, 01:22 PM

13,657 posts, read 9,720,920 times
Quote:
... As soon as I left and saw them still walking to their car I yelled from across the lot "what? I didn't hear you please say it louder!".
While I don't entirely share your skepticism about masks, I most assuredly do support your approach and reaction. Your privacy and dignity were traduced, and to return the favor is only natural. That you refrained from doing so, until leaving the store, in order to maintain decorum and to avoid flustering the other customers in the store, shows restraint. That your antagonist cravenly scampered off, shows his lack of conviction, and his desire to look "strong" while backed by the resources of the crowd.

If this mask-gendarme were genuinely motivated by health and safety, he'd have quietly kept his distance from what he regarded as an offensive agent, rather than causing a ruckus.

Quote:
Most people are wearing them because they dont want to be told to put one on. Most people I see reluctantly put their mask on as they enter a store.
I can't speak for "most", but my own behavior is to minimize offense and fear. If masks are stipulated by signs at the entry to an establishment, I will wear them. If given the option, I will remove mine.

Our office-environment is large, sparsely-populated interior space. But masks are a religion. If alone, I remove my mask. If in company, I don it.

Your specific anecdote was about San Diego. San Diego is comparatively relaxed; Los Angeles is far worse. There, the mask-adherents are unremittingly steadfast, and will wear them despite being completely alone and outdoors. This I find to be a cultish obsession, far beyond reasonable bounds of safety.

Old 11-03-2020, 03:59 PM

15,862 posts, read 6,331,057 times
I listened to this today. It's an hour and a half podcast but really good if you're into trying to figure out why people act the way they act. It's identity politics basically.

https://youarenotsosmart.com/2020/07...ks-themselves/

Old 11-03-2020, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
While I don't entirely share your skepticism about masks, I most assuredly do support your approach and reaction. Your privacy and dignity were traduced, and to return the favor is only natural. That you refrained from doing so, until leaving the store, in order to maintain decorum and to avoid flustering the other customers in the store, shows restraint. That your antagonist cravenly scampered off, shows his lack of conviction, and his desire to look "strong" while backed by the resources of the crowd.

If this mask-gendarme were genuinely motivated by health and safety, he'd have quietly kept his distance from what he regarded as an offensive agent, rather than causing a ruckus.

I can't speak for "most", but my own behavior is to minimize offense and fear. If masks are stipulated by signs at the entry to an establishment, I will wear them. If given the option, I will remove mine.

Our office-environment is large, sparsely-populated interior space. But masks are a religion. If alone, I remove my mask. If in company, I don it.

Your specific anecdote was about San Diego. San Diego is comparatively relaxed; Los Angeles is far worse. There, the mask-adherents are unremittingly steadfast, and will wear them despite being completely alone and outdoors. This I find to be a cultish obsession, far beyond reasonable bounds of safety.
Thanks and we can disagree about the masks. I think they're more for the people who are at-risk versus healthy folks.

I don't understand why they felt the need to do be passive aggressive like that with me, but I'm glad they did because it reiterated to me again how Californians are, at least coastal Californians. I agree about LA and SF too. People are literally alone in their own vehicles with their mask on. They are walking their dog and are the only ones on the sidewalk yet their mask is on. Just unable to think for themselves, but hey they got a degree from a UC so they consider themselves an intellectual. Lol!

Old 11-03-2020, 04:22 PM

50,820 posts, read 36,527,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I listened to this today. It's an hour and a half podcast but really good if you're into trying to figure out why people act the way they act. It's identity politics basically.

https://youarenotsosmart.com/2020/07...ks-themselves/
I didn’t listen yet but the way they summarized it in the foreword makes perfect sense.

Old 11-03-2020, 11:11 PM

3,046 posts, read 2,385,425 times
Quote:
I did it in San Diego recently (well actually just pulled it down briefly while checking out but watch...) and some coward with his girlfriend walked extra close to me and said "put your mask on" as they were leaving the store (I was in self checkout). As soon as I left and saw them still walking to their car I yelled from across the lot "what? I didn't hear you please say it louder!".

And of course like the typical fluffy California white liberal, they get super scared when the Black man returns fire by calling them out. I never moved but the woman kept looking back and jumped in the car and her boyfriend remained a coward. Wouldn't even tell me again and I was going to respond nicely. So I politely told them "exactly what I thought. Get in your car and go home."

Most people are wearing them because they dont want to be told to put one on. Most people I see reluctantly put their mask on as they enter a store. There are only a few people, especially in the cities which have a scared population, who seem to have their mask on 24/7 as if it's some virus kryptonite. I told the maintence man he didnt have to wear a mask when he came in and he was so happy saying he "hated wearing this damn thing mate" in his Austrailian accent lol. People are tired of this ****.
it's ppl like yourself which is why we need to continue to wear them as long as we have. It's like a kid, who's got a slight fever, but refuses to stop playing outside in 30 degree weather, thereby prolonging his sickness, potentially making it worse. Then complain, why he's not getting better. You and antimaskers are the root cause of all this.

Old 11-04-2020, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krichton View Post
it's ppl like yourself which is why we need to continue to wear them as long as we have. It's like a kid, who's got a slight fever, but refuses to stop playing outside in 30 degree weather, thereby prolonging his sickness, potentially making it worse. Then complain, why he's not getting better. You and antimaskers are the root cause of all this.
But I had my mask on in the store the entire time and only took it down briefly at the cash register inadvertently. Next time read before responding!

I bet you think it's okay for a couple to both get super close to someone and whisper behind their back "put your mask on" huh? Then scamper off like cowards who think they won't be confronted for being an ass for no reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies