Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2020, 08:46 PM

13,657 posts, read 9,720,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Still, though, people better be careful in what they wish for in promoting greater rights and freedoms to make it easier to become infected by COVID-19. Not everybody who gets infected stays out of the hospital.
And not everyone who stays sober, obeys traffic-laws and is courteous to other drivers, will manage to avoid a traffic-fatality.

Measures of self-protection can be entirely reasonable, and yet nevertheless fail.

I do not wish for rampant indifference to risk, nor do I wish suffering for anyone. But it does seem to me, that we as a society have become too cozy and too obsessed with regimen, process, recipe and method. We cling to the notion that good behavior will keep us safe, while bad behavior will harm us... that planning and foresight means readiness and success in the face of adversity, while obliviousness and impulsivity means guaranteed loss. Both are wrong. We just never know.

Old 11-02-2020, 08:38 AM
bu2

24,107 posts, read 14,896,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
And not everyone who stays sober, obeys traffic-laws and is courteous to other drivers, will manage to avoid a traffic-fatality.

Measures of self-protection can be entirely reasonable, and yet nevertheless fail.

I do not wish for rampant indifference to risk, nor do I wish suffering for anyone. But it does seem to me, that we as a society have become too cozy and too obsessed with regimen, process, recipe and method. We cling to the notion that good behavior will keep us safe, while bad behavior will harm us... that planning and foresight means readiness and success in the face of adversity, while obliviousness and impulsivity means guaranteed loss. Both are wrong. We just never know.
Sometimes we should listen to the peasants!

Old 11-02-2020, 09:51 AM

8,154 posts, read 3,680,515 times
Quote:

Lol. The risk would be lowered on average. Yes, an individual person could always get "unlucky". It does not mean that the measures don't work.

Old 11-02-2020, 04:05 PM

41,967 posts, read 75,217,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbrianbush View Post
Who would cheer a cop for body slamming a woman for not wearing a mask?
Nobody I know. That would fall under excessive force. Do you know anyone who's in favor of excessive force?

Quote:
That doesn't mean self-protection should be abandoned.

Old 11-02-2020, 08:22 PM

2,540 posts, read 1,034,813 times
Did some last minute preelection shopping at Target to stock up for potential unrest and finally saw a woman without a mask for the first time since Spring standing in line with a cart filled up to the brim (mostly food and toiletries). I was surprised that no one said anything to her.

Old 11-02-2020, 08:31 PM

17,642 posts, read 6,918,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingOutsideTheBox View Post
Did some last minute preelection shopping at Target to stock up for potential unrest and finally saw a woman without a mask for the first time since Spring standing in line with a cart filled up to the brim (mostly food and toiletries). I was surprised that no one said anything to her.
Most people know that wearing a mask is useless and for show.

Old 11-02-2020, 08:40 PM

4,169 posts, read 2,144,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingOutsideTheBox View Post
It's called minding your own business. Target do not enforce the mask and i am sure other customers would rather not say anything to her.

Old 11-02-2020, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
Most people know that wearing a mask is useless and for show.
Probability of transmission is obviously lowered by wearing a mask. Pretty much a kindergarten education is sufficient to figure that out.

Old 11-02-2020, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
It's called minding your own business. Target do not enforce the mask and i am sure other customers would rather not say anything to her.
Try to enter Target in Texas without mask , report back. It even better call the local news first, then we can see it.

Old 11-02-2020, 09:07 PM

4,169 posts, read 2,144,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Try to enter Target in Texas without mask , report back. It even better call the local news first, then we can see it.

I done it in California and had no issue. I suspect you will be very disappointed that security guard will not do anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies