Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2020, 08:31 PM

7,359 posts, read 6,531,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
At this point the duration of protection from the shingles vaccine is unknown, but there is no recommendation to repeat it at five years.

If the excess deaths are not due to COVID-19 you have to come up with another explanation. What do you think it is?
See below.

Quote:
Source for your statement about the economy and excess deaths?
https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/863849 This one just refers to cancer, not even all other causes. Doing the same quick Google search, it appears there are more papers that look at the current year, but as I have not had as much chance to read them yet, I'll refrain from linking them just yet.

Old 11-18-2020, 08:41 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,284,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
See below.

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/863849 This one just refers to cancer, not even all other causes. Doing the same quick Google search, it appears there are more papers that look at the current year, but as I have not had as much chance to read them yet, I'll refrain from linking them just yet.
Your Medscape article looked at worldwide figures over multiple years. The excess deaths for the entire world were about what has happened just in the US alone since the coronavirus arrived here.

Do you think those excess deaths this year are due to cancer?

Why would that happen, and just also happen at precisely the same time that people started dying from COVID-19?

Old 11-18-2020, 09:27 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,646,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Sometimes it is. People are wearing masks and blissfully believing they will be protected from catching the virus.

These masks everyone wears do not stop anyone from breathing in the virus. We are all masked up right now, and yet my state is seeing very high infection rates.
So how do these people who come down with covid think they caught it? While not wearing a mask around people, such as while at home or other private gathering? I sure wouldn't be surprised.

Old 11-18-2020, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
Masks are worthless and a new randomized controlled trial out of Denmark proves it.

https://hotair.com/archives/jazz-sha...insignificant/
If masks didn't work, there would be a hell of a lot more medical people in hospitals coming down with COVID-19. If you were a nurse, would you be willing to work in a covid ward at a hospital without a mask on, because masks don't work?

Old 11-18-2020, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
The use of masks it's just a placebo it makes the public feel like they're protected when they go out in public otherwise it's a good portion of the United States who wouldn't leave their homes even if they're in the very very low-risk category.

I see people on the streets they're all alone not a person on either side of the street for six blocks in any direction and yet the person's walking down the street wearing a mask. Or they are in their car all alone wearing a mask. Or they are sitting at a bus stop, there's no bus there's nobody in sight just them for blocks in either direction, and yet they're wearing a mask.

Once you put on a mask health experts advise to handle it as little as possible to avoid contaminating it with your hands or fingers. So I'm not surprised when I see people wearing their masks alone when in a car. They are merely following the advice of health experts. Unless I'm headed straight home, you're going to see me with my mask on when alone in a car.

Old 11-18-2020, 09:46 PM

8,156 posts, read 3,680,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
If masks didn't work, there would be a hell of a lot more medical people in hospitals coming down with COVID-19. If you were a nurse, would you be willing to work in a covid ward at a hospital without a mask on, because masks don't work?
Yeah, all of the front line workers should have been infected by now if the masks didn't work.

The problem is when one is blinded by politics no logical argument works...

Old 11-18-2020, 11:11 PM

6,829 posts, read 2,118,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Yeah, all of the front line workers should have been infected by now if the masks didn't work.

The problem is when one is blinded by politics no logical argument works...
This is the stupidest statement I have heard. I know husbands and wives who shared a bed with a + case, who tested - themselves. Not everyone is susceptible to this virus.

A lot of people seem to have prior immunity despite this being a 'new' virus.

And in the same breath I have known obsessive people who disinfect groceries, stay largely inside, and wear n95 masks everywhere they go, who got it. And me? I'm never had so much a sniffle. I don't wear masks. I go to house parties. I go to nightclubs. I shake peoples hands. I kiss people on the cheek as a greeting. I have been even in the presence of people who were +. I'm currently in Europe. And feel fine, despite cases technically being out of control here, and dwarfing what the USA is seeing (per person).

Old 11-18-2020, 11:25 PM

For 99% of people, Covid is the biggest joke of a virus. 99% either don't get it, or have incredibly mild symptoms. The most annoying seems to be loss of smell for a few weeks.

For 1% who are either ancient and on death's door, or walking whales, they will have a hard time.

But why punish 99% for those 1% with closures and mask mandates? It's time to encourage the vulnerable to take their own precautions. And leave the rest the F alone.

Old 11-18-2020, 11:27 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,284,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post
For 99% of people, Covid is the biggest joke of a virus. 99% either don't get it, or have incredibly mild symptoms. The most annoying seems to be loss of smell for a few weeks.

For 1% who are either ancient and on death's door, or walking whales, they will have a hard time.

But why punish 99% for those 1% with closures and mask mandates? It's time to encourage the vulnerable to take their own precautions. And leave the rest the F alone.
If all the "vulnerable" self isolate at home there will not be enough people to run the economy.

Old 11-18-2020, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
If all the "vulnerable" self isolate at home there will not be enough people to run the economy.
It would be better than what we have now. Where the economy in several states is forced to shut down. Where business owners are told not to operate their restaurants, bars, gyms, nightclubs etc.

You think that's better for the economy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies