Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2020, 11:25 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,646,641 times

Advertisements

Tulsa World demands that Oklahoma governor impose a state wide mask mandate now: https://tulsaworld.com/opinion/edito...3711038de.html

Old 11-19-2020, 11:27 AM

6,829 posts, read 2,118,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Tulsa World demands that Oklahoma governor impose a state wide mask mandate now: https://tulsaworld.com/opinion/edito...3711038de.html
Who gives a damn about a goofy sounding paper called "Tulsa World".

Old 11-19-2020, 11:27 AM

8,502 posts, read 3,344,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post
What impacts businesses more is shutting them down. A business shut down is doing 0% business. How can you not understand that?
I understand that you want to keep getting the 50% or whatever amount you think will walk thru the door. That will help short term, of course. What you're banking on is that the pandemic will be short-lived to where business will again return to 100%. Given the vaccines, that's quite likely.

Unfortunately governmental and public health authorities are putting another societal need first - medical care. And you don't like that. Which is understandable particularly if you're banking on not personally needing it.

No one is denying that there is an economic price. The whole so-called argument about economic demand is to say that there's going to be some economic cost period. Even without restrictions, some businesses could not get all or a substantial portion of their customers to come. Economic loss is not just about governmental restrictions. It's more complicated. The pandemic is a factor. That's the point.

So let's stick to the basics here. Not wander off into all these side discussions that appear to be populating this thread. Want to minimize economic damage, particular pre-vaccine. Wear a mask. Make fewer patients. Reduce demand for hospital beds. Supply - those nurses - is inelastic.

Old 11-19-2020, 11:30 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,646,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
I haven't been following this thread but just popped in. Interesting or maybe sad that some still hold hard to outright misinformation. Covid is a problem, the economic fallout likewise. Outright denial or inability to address challenges never helped much of anything in my life experience.
Unfortunately, doctors have second opinions on covid: https://www.infowars.com/posts/top-p...ecting-public/

Old 11-19-2020, 11:34 AM

8,502 posts, read 3,344,621 times
Quote:
Pay nurses more. It's good to be a nurse these days. Encourage students to become nurses and fast track. Hire nurses abroad and bring them here. We have many options.

And encourage people to stay home and recover at home. Not everyone with a cough needs to go to the hospital. And if a nursing home person with 9 toes in the grave gets them, let them die with palliative care.
Disagree with this economic analysis, you're focusing on supply and not demand. Like I just wrote: Make fewer patients. Reduce demand for hospital beds. Supply - those nurses - is inelastic for the number we need like yesterday.

How to reduce demand? Don't blow off covid and wear a mask.

Quote:
Unfortunately, doctors have second opinions on covid: https://www.infowars.com/posts/top-p...ecting-public/
You're going to have to talk to GoldenPineTree about this. Because that take is hurting his business. Me, I can blow it off as nonsense.

Old 11-19-2020, 11:36 AM

8,153 posts, read 3,680,515 times
Quote:
Pay nurses more. It's good to be a nurse these days. Encourage students to become nurses and fast track. Hire nurses abroad and bring them here. We have many options.

And encourage people to stay home and recover at home. Not everyone with a cough needs to go to the hospital. And if a nursing home person with 9 toes in the grave gets them, let them die with palliative care.
So in regards to the "fast track", in how many days/weeks do you propose they should graduate with a nursing degree, if starting from scratch?

Hmmm, there is a shortage everywhere due to the ... pandemics. And of course this takes a while even in normal times.

Old 11-19-2020, 11:39 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,284,508 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, doctors have second opinions on covid:
I would suggest that the pathologist work a few shifts on a COVID-19 ward and get back to us.

Old 11-19-2020, 11:42 AM

3,092 posts, read 1,947,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Explain the reason for the excess deaths (the number exceeds official Covid count) compared to the same period last year.

Was it the inability to party during the "lockdowns"?
This has been talked about quite a bit on this thread. A few months ago, I even posted the CDC data for deaths over the past few years. A few factors to consider:

1. Deaths have been rising year over year over the past few years. I don't recall the exact numbers, but I think it was like 2-6%. That's not a small number, but it could be explained by randomness or some other non Covid19 factor. I suggested calculating the standard deviation based on the numbers, but no one took me up on it. Bottom line is that you can't reasonably extrapolate cause when numbers are rising independent of cause.

2. Lockdowns, curfews, checkpoints, etc etc and the poverty and stress associated with these things cause a certain number of deaths. It's difficult to quantify, but these excess deaths do exist.

3. Based on the statistical chicanery that we've seen from TPTB in other areas, it IS reasonable to be skeptical of the numbers- any numbers, that they feed us.

Old 11-19-2020, 11:50 AM

7,359 posts, read 6,531,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I would suggest that the pathologist work a few shifts on a COVID-19 ward and get back to us.
So "trust the experts" only applies as long as the experts are saying what you agree with?

Old 11-19-2020, 11:59 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,284,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
This has been talked about quite a bit on this thread. A few months ago, I even posted the CDC data for deaths over the past few years. A few factors to consider:

1. Deaths have been rising year over year over the past few years. I don't recall the exact numbers, but I think it was like 2-6%. That's not a small number, but it could be explained by randomness or some other non Covid19 factor. I suggested calculating the standard deviation based on the numbers, but no one took me up on it. Bottom line is that you can't reasonably extrapolate cause when numbers are rising independent of cause.

2. Lockdowns, curfews, checkpoints, etc etc and the poverty and stress associated with these things cause a certain number of deaths. It's difficult to quantify, but these excess deaths do exist.

3. Based on the statistical chicanery that we've seen from TPTB in other areas, it IS reasonable to be skeptical of the numbers- any numbers, that they feed us.

1. You cannot use the absolute number of deaths. You have to adjust for population growth and the age of the population. Doing that, the age adjusted death rate has declined, less so in the last five years, which have been stable.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...orn/111928450/

2. They exist but do not account for all of the excess deaths.

3. Skepticism just because is not very useful. If you doubt the numbers you have to come up with another explanation for all those excess deaths.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies