Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2020, 12:00 PM

6,829 posts, read 2,118,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
How to reduce demand? Don't blow off covid and wear a mask.
See Europe, masks are not a panacea. They work around the edges, if they work at all. Currently, UK, Spain, Belgium, France, Italy are all worse than the USA by a degree.

Old 11-19-2020, 12:14 PM

8,156 posts, read 3,680,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post
See Europe, masks are not a panacea. They work around the edges, if they work at all. Currently, UK, Spain, Belgium, France, Italy are all worse than the USA by a degree.
First of all, mask wearing went down very significantly in the summer with vacation travel in full swing, etc.

Second, depends what you are calling "worse", all of the above appear to be finally regaining control, with drastic drops in cases, in most. There is absolutely no indication of this happening in the US.

Old 11-19-2020, 12:16 PM

37,111 posts, read 41,284,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
So "trust the experts" only applies as long as the experts are saying what you agree with?
He is a pathologist. I doubt that the physicians in the trenches fighting COVID-19 agree with him. Some of them are quitting.

https://www.phillytrib.com/news/busi...58a7fbdcb.html

Old 11-19-2020, 12:20 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,646,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I would suggest that the pathologist work a few shifts on a COVID-19 ward and get back to us.
Since the doctor thinks social distancing isn't practical, due to the virus traveling much further than 6 ft., then I wonder if he would be open minded to imposing a total shut down in response to overloaded hospitals. But I think doing that would be a lot more oppressive than requiring masks. That's why I'm not opposed to required mask mandates. Give them a chance to work, while encouraging proper wearing and handling of them.

Unfortunately, the doctor said that nothing could be done to stop the spread of the virus besides protecting older more vulnerable people. They surely need to do a better job of protecting themselves.

Old 11-19-2020, 02:23 PM

3,092 posts, read 1,947,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Tell that to the Governor of Wyoming.

He said, “ It’s time that Wyoming woke up and got serious about what it’s ( Covid) doing. We relied on people to be responsible, and they’re being irresponsible. They think somehow this is all nonsense. People are being knuckleheads about this”.
What does that say about the Governor of Wyoming?

Old 11-19-2020, 02:25 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,888,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
So how do these people who come down with covid think they caught it? While not wearing a mask around people, such as while at home or other private gathering? I sure wouldn't be surprised.
I had to go to the dentist Monday because had a tooth ache over weekend
Talking to my dentist’s wife who works front office and can do lots of other things
She said they were leaving back way out of their neighborhood the other night to go pick up dinner (not to eat outside or inside) and saw home across from their neighborhood w/lots of cars parked along the road...had outside lights on—saw young guy leave his parked car, walking with beer and no mask in hand or around neck toward where there was obviously a party doing on...a party w/more than 10 people based on cars outside...

That is why states are seeing higher numbers
People don’t give a damn
Don’t think this is a serious disease and dont worry about making other people sick

CoVid is as much a disease of entitlement thinking as any physical viral infection

Old 11-19-2020, 02:29 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,888,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
What does that say about the Governor of Wyoming?
That he is not trying to please Trump anymore
That he realizes there is no sense of sacrifice to get people to wear masks when they are politicized not to
That Wyoming is a very rural state w/o high density living but people do congregate for fellowship and fun
So they are coming together in ways that SPREAD vs contain infection
Wyoming does not have the medical resources that many other locations do to take care of high % of those who get sick w/CoVid and need ICU/pulmonary care—so they are screwed if they don’t contain it

Old 11-19-2020, 02:51 PM

3,092 posts, read 1,947,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
1. You cannot use the absolute number of deaths. You have to adjust for population growth and the age of the population. Doing that, the age adjusted death rate has declined, less so in the last five years, which have been stable.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...orn/111928450/

Your response gets right to the heart of the matter. The data itself is not enough to settle the matter; we agree on that and you say so yourself. But you don't stop there, you essentially go on to say "the data is saying what we tell you it is saying." And that's not going to fly. You are going to need to prove it. It is you that is making the bold claim that this is an out of control emergency, not me.

Quote:
2. They exist but do not account for all of the excess deaths.
This type of general dismissive statement is not reasonable. You acknowledge that these deaths do exist. That fact alone means that before we can even tell if your claim is true or not, we need at least a rough estimate concerning the number of these deaths. Otherwise you are simply assuming a non statistically relevant number, with no facts or evidence used to determine that assumption. Dismissing it away with a hand waive ain't gonna cut it, and let me remind you again that it is you that is making the bold (I would say outrageous) claim that there is an emergency pandemic going on.

Quote:
3. Skepticism just because is not very useful. If you doubt the numbers you have to come up with another explanation for all those excess deaths.
Sure, skepticism for no reason is not useful. That's a true statement that has 0 relevance to the discussion. Why? Because we have dozens if not hundreds of reasons to be skeptical. They've been included in this thread, but you have repeatedly chosen to dismiss them. You see, this is how I know you are peddling an agenda. This is how I know that you are 'in the tank'. A reasonable person would say, "sure there is shadiness going on out there, I acknowledge that, but I still believe underneath the shadiness there is a legit emergency pandemic."
You essentially say, "not only is there an emergency pandemic, there is 0 reason for anyone to question the official narrative. Nothing to see here, move along now people."
See no evil, hear no evil.

Old 11-19-2020, 04:19 PM

30,263 posts, read 23,746,924 times
Is it just some grandmas you all care about?

https://apnews.com/article/nursing-h...cf05cdf0ea4f32

Quote:
When COVID-19 tore through Donald Wallace’s nursing home, he was one of the lucky few to avoid infection.

He died a horrible death anyway.

Hale and happy before the pandemic, the 75-year-old retired Alabama truck driver became so malnourished and dehydrated that he dropped to 98 pounds and looked to his son like he’d been in a concentration camp. Septic shock suggested an untreated urinary infection, E. coli in his body from his own feces hinted at poor hygiene, and aspiration pneumonia indicated Wallace, who needed help with meals, had likely choked on his food.

“He couldn’t even hold his head up straight because he had gotten so weak,” said his son, Kevin Amerson. “They stopped taking care of him. They abandoned him.”
Cause this is what your dumb covid hysteria has brought on to many in nursing homes.

Old 11-19-2020, 05:06 PM

6,829 posts, read 2,118,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
First of all, mask wearing went down very significantly in the summer with vacation travel in full swing, etc.

Second, depends what you are calling "worse", all of the above appear to be finally regaining control, with drastic drops in cases, in most. There is absolutely no indication of this happening in the US.
They're in lockdowns now, but their cases are still higher than the USA when adjusted by population.

But now it's US turn. Let it rip. Maybe you can finally catch Covid and stop sh*tting yourself over it?

Edit:

Actually, now the USA has higher cases per million. Still, all of them have higher deaths per million except France. Anyways, it's US' turn. Let the games begin.

Last edited by GoldenPineTree; 11-19-2020 at 05:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies