Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2020, 04:55 AM

37,111 posts, read 41,284,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post
No they don't. They just put you in a statistically more vulnerable group. But it doesn't say anything about vulnerability of the individual.

You seem to struggle (this isn't the first time) with the idea of statistics done over groups and what they say about individuals.
Yep, statistics tell about risk. The word vulnerable means being at risk.

https://www.lexico.com/en/definition/vulnerable

"Susceptible to physical or emotional attack or harm"

Old 11-19-2020, 05:33 AM

6,829 posts, read 2,118,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Yep, statistics tell about risk. The word vulnerable means being at risk.

https://www.lexico.com/en/definition/vulnerable

"Susceptible to physical or emotional attack or harm"
Statistics just determine probabilities. But an obese man, maybe due to prior immunological or genetic reasons, may have 0% risk of getting sick from Covid19. We would say this individual is not vulnerable, despite one group he belongs to (obese) is considered to have statistically higher likelihood of developing complications.

This is not at all that hard. Yet you struggle, why?

Old 11-19-2020, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Statistics just determine probabilities. But an obese man, maybe due to prior immunological or genetic reasons, may have 0% risk of getting sick from Covid19. We would say this individual is not vulnerable, despite one group he belongs to (obese) is considered to have statistically higher likelihood of developing complications.

This is not at all that hard. Yet you struggle, why?
Anyone who has not already had the virus is vulnerable, though the degree of vulnerability varies.

Your obese guy's risk can be estimated based on his medical condition. Being at increased risk does not mean he will absolutely get sick.

We get back to the point that a significant percentage of the US population is at increased risk - more vulnerable - and if all of them isolate at home, there are too few workers and not enough customers to keep businesses going.

Old 11-19-2020, 05:59 AM

Quote:

We get back to the point that a significant percentage of the US population is at increased risk - more vulnerable - and if all of them isolate at home, there are too few workers and not enough customers to keep businesses going.
They should do what they want. Just because the risk is 'increased' doesn't make it high. I'd suggest everyone to live their lives. But if some people wanna stay home, ok. But no more business closures or mask mandates.

Old 11-19-2020, 06:18 AM

Quote:
They should do what they want. Just because the risk is 'increased' doesn't make it high. I'd suggest everyone to live their lives. But if some people wanna stay home, ok. But no more business closures or mask mandates.
Your original comment was, "It's time to encourage the vulnerable to take their own precautions."

If the "vulnerable" - and there are more of them than you want to admit - stay home, then that pulls so many out of the workforce that businesses (including those providing essential services) cannot stay open. It also removes customers from those gyms and restaurants and bars you want to keep open. It does not work.

Old 11-19-2020, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Your original comment was, "It's time to encourage the vulnerable to take their own precautions."

If the "vulnerable" - and there are more of them than you want to admit - stay home, then that pulls so many out of the workforce that businesses (including those providing essential services) cannot stay open. It also removes customers from those gyms and restaurants and bars you want to keep open. It does not work.
Taking precautions, doesn't mean isolating or avoiding the economy. "Vulnerable" doesn't mean every obese or elderly person. You're creating strawmans left and right and arguing with yourself like a crazy person. Are you ok?

Old 11-19-2020, 06:36 AM

3,092 posts, read 1,947,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Could you remind us when was the last time a "minor cold" killed 256k and counting (actually more but that's the official number) in 8 months?
256k people that died with Covid19, not of Covid19.
This is such a simple concept and it blows my mind how many people don't get it.

Old 11-19-2020, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Taking precautions, doesn't mean isolating or avoiding the economy. "Vulnerable" doesn't mean every obese or elderly person. You're creating strawmans left and right and arguing with yourself like a crazy person. Are you ok?
Vulnerable means at risk. Obesity and advanced age increase vulnerability.

I am fine, thank you. I know what being vulnerable means. You do not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
256k people that died with Covid19, not of Covid19.
This is such a simple concept and it blows my mind how many people don't get it.
They died from COVID-19. If they had not been infected with the virus they would not have died when they did.

Old 11-19-2020, 06:50 AM

3,092 posts, read 1,947,747 times
Quote:
She's not ok. I've debated with her many times; now I seldom waste my breath on her. This person has an agenda, and any fact that threatens her agenda will simply be ignored or dismissed by her.

My take is that she knows she is pushing a false narrative, but doesn't care.

Old 11-19-2020, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
She's not ok. I've debated with her many times; now I seldom waste my breath on her. This person has an agenda, and any fact that threatens her agenda will simply be ignored or dismissed by her.

My take is that she knows she is pushing a false narrative, but doesn't care.
I do have an agenda: Debunking medical misinformation wherever I find it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies