Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2020, 10:35 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,885,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
So we are letting people out of prison because they may catch this yet we want our kids to go back to school. Wow.
Yeah crazy huh? Prisons are densely packed like schools are. As of now, my district said A/B days are not feasible and specials teachers will still see all students. Sounds like a disaster am I right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
I know. Democrats letting people out of prison is pretty ridiculous.
Well, blue and red states aren't adding people to prison unless they commit a violent crime like before the virus. Also court cases aren't happening so you don't even have bail jumpers adding to the pen population.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Only for half of them to recommit crimes they were in prison for shortly after release i.e New York. Just liberals using their logic.

As for “healthy” kids with no underlying condition, there hasn’t been one case of a Covid death under the age of 17 that I’ve seen reported.
The kids may or may not be the problem. Instead it is staff and students and their families. Grandparents who are the student's guardian might have the virus spread to them. Staff might spread it to their family. It is a gamble and you might hit point, stay rolling or crap out. I rather not find out the hard way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Seems Democrats don’t believe education is essential. But looting, shooting, arson, murder, assaulting innocent people, and destroying public/private property is. Oh and their Starbucks coffee.

If Democrats had it their way, they’d keep kids uneducated and have them watch CNN/MSNBC all day. Lol
Education is important, especially for kids that I work with. I want them back in school if it is safe. We don't know if it is safe in many areas due to how we reopened on security theater measures at workplaces yet didn't give mask wearing until it was already spiraling out of control in a number of states.

Listen to this crazy one that was later changed. My district as of the beginning of June was only mandating staff to wear masks and didn't mandate students because if they did, they would have to supply masks and economically they cannot. They changed their tune once Gov. Ducey gave cities and counties the ability to make them and the city and county the district is in mandated mask wearing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzou88 View Post
I don't think politicians are hesitant to open up schools because they want to make Trump look bad. I think they're doing it because they don't want people to get sick.

The irony is that the more people who get sick and die , the more people will blame Trump's response.

So really by closing schools and potentially keeping more people from getting sick, they're helping Trump.

Its easy to want to support Trump bc we all want our schools to re-open, but we want it to be done safely.

Like I said in another post, yes its sad that schools are closed be it would be more sad if they were opened , a bunch of parents got sick and died and then they were closed anyway.

If it wasn't for the pandemic of course they would obviously be open , the CDC says that it isn't safe at this time.

I honestly believe the CDC has America's best interest and is not doing this just to try and hurt Trump............

I don't understand why Trump thinks he knows more then the CDC when it comes to this virus,

you'd think the CDC would say "school won't be safe" and Trump would say "okay , thank you for your expert advice".

I believe the CDC has America's best interest and I think they know more about how to stay safe from the virus then Trump.

I'm not sure if Trump has America's best interest anymore.

Trump doesn't want this virus to continue (i think), nobody does,

and the best way to squash the virus is to listen to the experts and take strict action now.

the more Trump politicizes the CDC's recommendations the longer the virus will drag on.

opening schools could potentially cause the virus to just drag on longer

I'm honestly a little annoyed that my tax dollars are going to the CDC if Trump isn't even going to listen to their recommendation.

If Trump claims that he is smarter then the CDC ,then why do we even have it? whats the point of the CDC if we don't even listen to their recommendations.

And again, for the life of me , I cannot understand why someone would trust Trump's opinion on the virus over the CDC's.

The CDC is not a news outlet were you can claim "fake news" . Its a group of experts made up of likely Republicans and Democrats.

Why is Trump politicizing the CDC during this time,,,, it seems really dangerous,, and I'm sad to see America failing in their response to the virus.

I mean Trump's numbers are obviously so low bc he's failed to listen to the scientist's advice,,,, has he now said "screw it im gonna go all out in trying to spread this thing"

Is he trying to spread the virus???? i really don't get it ???

IF the CDC makes a reccomendation , can he please listen to them,,,

bc not listening to the scientists has gotten us no baseball, 135k dead and a stock market crash,,,

***if everyone listened to the advice of the epidemiologists' and scientists' early on, I bet schools would be safe to open now.

but opening them now , when its not safe will just drag things on longer.

We're closing them now bc we want to be able to open them safely ASAP

We are not closing them to try and hurt Trump, We are closing them bc we want them to open them safely ASAP

ignoring scientists' advice has gotten us nowhere and is just gonna make this drag on longer,,,,,,

instead of him saying "i'll defund schools unless they open"

why doesn't he take some of those millions of dollars he used to bail out the large companies and use it to hire people to work with schools to meet the guidelines to open safely, why doesn't he hire a massive pandemic response team, why doesnt he hire thousands of contract tracers and buy more test kits so everyone can get a free test anytime of the day,

he is literally enabling the spread of the virus and thats exactly what the CCP wants......

I guarantee the CCP also wants us to go against the advice of the CDC......

The CDC is recomending schools don't open and Trump is threatening to de-fund the schools ,,, its surreal,

The CCP isn't going to create a bioweapon then not do the dirty work of trying to spread it as much as possible by manipulating ppl on the internet,

I swear to you that CCP bots are promoting far right ideas that spread the virus more,
Ok I'm gonna only unpack the claim about this helping Trump. It don't either way. We already have deaths on the rise. The for sunbelt states that are seeing a drastic rise accounted for 503, over half the total 946 deaths yesterday. Over 140k dead in total now. The damage to Trump's legacy is already there. The deaths that are being blocked with not repelling schools are offset based on Memorial Day and July 4th stupidity and people who believed politicians about it being safe to return to society.

I'm against school reopenings despite wanting the structure to the students I work with. I know they need it and I am sure more students may need the program I work in. The issue is how safe is it for staff, their families, students and their families. Right now, we don't know and a number of states are still on the rise and cannot get a handle on it. Arizonans have at least a week in testing result lags unless you talk the ASU spit test or the Project Slingshot testing.

A big problem with the testing we have is for seven days is technically you have to quarentined during this time. As of right now, the federal money for pandemic has a ten workday cap for being sick or quarentining preventatively. After the ten days it is 75% of wages for being sick, 0% for self-quarentining. Many people cannot afford to wait the results out at home.

Another issue is testing capacity. Due to drive-thru locations, many tests end for the day around 12. The past three weeks have been REALLY hot in AZ and much of the Sunbelt. Add in testing shortages and people go for days or even a week before getting a test, let alone the week plus for a result

Those test results are important to halt the spread of the virus in a school. As mentioned for now the plan in district is for specials to rotate to the classroom. I am not sure on special education outclasses but if they have that, you can easily come into contact with over one third of the student population that way, easy. Now wait a week plus and depending who had it, it spread to a community level. Any state with a testing lag has no business reopening the schools, PERIOD. It don't matter if it helps Trump or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Logical thinking would tell you that in the United States the cases are on an exponential curve upward and not downward and flattening like they are in other countries.

If our graph looked like those countries I don't think there would be a lot of protestation about opening schools again. But it doesn't. So there is.

Finally, going back to school in Israel resulted in an outbreak of COVID as was stated earlier on the thread. So we haven't had good outcomes in all the countries that controlled the curve regarding return to school.

And I'm not partisian. I hate kids. They walk on my lawn.
Yep but we have to be like Europe with schools. Yet Europe locked down and wear masks. America has FYIWDWYTM (I'll let you figure out the acronym) deep in its DNA long before Rage Against the Machine made it a mantra. Most Americans are only wearing masks not due to protection but rather how it is mandated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Noticed how he never came back. That's what they do. When they don't have an argument, they attack the source, not the facts.
So are we to believe we should chew Trident because four out of five dentist say that is the best gum? Maybe Trident paid those give dentists... The issue is it isn't just about the kids but their families, and staff and theirs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by latimeria View Post
Huh? Sweden was not praised for its response. https://newsroom.uvahealth.com/2020/...ths-in-sweden/
It is by the herd community group that think we should let the virus run its course...

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Well, you'll never know if your locality will be successful in reopening schools until it tries. You'll never know if students can play football until they try. Of course, precautions should be taken, such as taking temps. The spike in my locality is now in reverse, so opening will probably be successful.
We get one chance at reopening schools safely. When they open and the state is not ready for it, it will be a disaster for staff, students and their respective families. I know my district is allowing families to access quarter by quarter, but if it explodes in a week, they'll change their tune quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post
No, those are not great options. Many kids don't have computers or proper quiet environments at home.

Stop being cowards, and open the schools. We're supposed to value our kids over our grandparents. One have lived their lives, and the other didn't.
Coward? Are you willing to teach in conditions of a state that prove it really isn't safe to reopen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2020, 11:07 AM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,067,894 times
I'm ok with schools not reopening. Just send me a refund please.

Old 07-18-2020, 11:14 AM

4,134 posts, read 2,836,513 times
Quote:
There you have it, dems. 100% of scientists agree that our children should return to class. Are you going to deny science?
Good lord...

Old 07-18-2020, 11:29 AM

4,382 posts, read 4,232,458 times
I would rather not open schools and wish we had rather than open schools and wish we hadn't.

Let's not foul up our chance to get this right.

Old 07-18-2020, 12:13 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,163,063 times
Quote:
There you have it, dems. 100% of scientists agree that our children should return to class. Are you going to deny science?

Conservatives are all into science now? Great! Glad to have you join us in the fight against global warming. Welcome aboard!

Old 07-18-2020, 12:21 PM

1,154 posts, read 366,330 times
If my children were still young enough to be public school students, I would absolutely be homeschooling this fall. I’ve read our school’s COVID-19 plan, and even as thorough as it is, I expect an outbreak will force closure by November. I’d rather have the opportunity to establish routines from the very start than to be thrown into chaos as was the case for so many families this spring.

Old 07-18-2020, 01:52 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,885,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbottkd71 View Post
If my children were still young enough to be public school students, I would absolutely be homeschooling this fall. I’ve read our school’s COVID-19 plan, and even as thorough as it is, I expect an outbreak will force closure by November. I’d rather have the opportunity to establish routines from the very start than to be thrown into chaos as was the case for so many families this spring.
That of course is a problem. My district looks at it as a problem of not if there will be closures but when will they happen, how many schools will be shutdown (individual schools shutting down versus a district wide closure) and how often will these shutdowns occur. This method creates a problem.

As I mentioned, for now my district is doing quarter by quarter of you want to do iSchool or in-person. They are offering hybrid iff there are enough students to fill the class per grade. Figure at least 25 students. If there aren't, it is iSchool or in-person instruction only. No A/B day across the board like other school districts in and out of state are doing.

One problem is for a lot of kids with IEPs, they need more in-person than most. iSchool and hybrid honestly won't work. Some need structure, some need one on one instruction, some need encouraging. It is gonna be hard to transition from online to in person like our state has us doing. In person starts for now on August 17th, barring how testing goes.

I think one problem with schools and anything whether you talk business is we cannot just turn the lights on and keep them on with this pandemic. There will be flare-ups even with masking up. There will be times we have to scale back maybe even shut down the cities, counties or even states. That all depends on where trends are going. Arizona and Texas are in the muck right now and seeing hospitalizations rising.

Old 07-18-2020, 02:05 PM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
That of course is a problem. My district looks at it as a problem of not if there will be closures but when will they happen, how many schools will be shutdown (individual schools shutting down versus a district wide closure) and how often will these shutdowns occur. This method creates a problem.

As I mentioned, for now my district is doing quarter by quarter of you want to do iSchool or in-person. They are offering hybrid iff there are enough students to fill the class per grade. Figure at least 25 students. If there aren't, it is iSchool or in-person instruction only. No A/B day across the board like other school districts in and out of state are doing.

One problem is for a lot of kids with IEPs, they need more in-person than most. iSchool and hybrid honestly won't work. Some need structure, some need one on one instruction, some need encouraging. It is gonna be hard to transition from online to in person like our state has us doing. In person starts for now on August 17th, barring how testing goes.

I think one problem with schools and anything whether you talk business is we cannot just turn the lights on and keep them on with this pandemic. There will be flare-ups even with masking up. There will be times we have to scale back maybe even shut down the cities, counties or even states. That all depends on where trends are going. Arizona and Texas are in the muck right now and seeing hospitalizations rising.
Is your school district and/or county sending refunds back to the homeowners/taxpayers that pay your salary? Will your salary be cut alongside the service cuts?

Old 07-18-2020, 03:48 PM

43,058 posts, read 18,237,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tolovefromANFIELD View Post
Is your school district and/or county sending refunds back to the homeowners/taxpayers that pay your salary? Will your salary be cut alongside the service cuts?
Why ? The teachers are still teaching but remotely. Why shouldn't they get paid ?

Old 07-18-2020, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Why ? The teachers are still teaching but remotely. Why shouldn't they get paid ?
You call zooming in teaching? Huh? Then there should be less of the teachers needed for that method? Cost should go down, no? After all one teacher can "teach" to an infinite amount of students remotely?

I don't pay my vendors full price when they only deliver half the product. Why shouldn't the same principle apply to school?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies